B1G Officiating. Time for a change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B1G Officiating. Time for a change?

Now by all appearances it would seem after my recent posts on OSU's thread I'm crying sour grapes but I'm serious.
    I've watched all of Ohio State's games this season and more than a few of other team's in the conference and I ask, is it my imagination or has the number of bad and non calls this season been abnormally high?
    Of course such things are indeed a normal part of hockey and typically when you get a bad call you hope the next one goes your way because that's the way it is.
    Does anyone else feel we have an issue with the level of good officiating in the B1G? After all, that call Saturday that cost the Gophers the game was one of the worst I've ever seen and in OSU's game how do you have a player go through your goalie like a bowling ball on the kingpin and no call?
    And if we do have a problem where do you start, with the refs or Steve Piowtrowski, head of B1G officiating?
    I would pay serious money to know how all the coaches will score and rate the refs post season but I probably don't have to guess how Motzko will rate them!
    Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 03-18-2019, 11:32 AM.

Re: B1G Officiating. Time for a change?

Big Ten reffing was pathetic all year and I said it probably 100 times.

Comment

B7 refs have sucked all year. Will the B7 recognize this and do anything about it? Probably not.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        Will the B7 recognize this and do anything about it? Probably not.
        Which makes me wonder how much influence do the B1G coaches have if they are in agreement that there is a problem?

Comment

Maybe Randy Schmidt is available?
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Anything from the league on the phantom penalty against Gophers in OT? Or is that kept inhouse?

Comment

I am sure there really isn't anything they can do. They hire the best guys they can for the money, and we judge them using 5 different camera HD angles in slow motion. My nephew who really wanted to be a ref quit, because it is such a thankless job, and parents are the worse. So, the pool of people who want to be refs is disappearing. I am sure the head of officials is going to watch the Gopher game, and say, "God, did those guys get screwed, twice." But, all they can do is fine Motzko for his statements, because they can't go back and fix it now, or even at the game. And, it doesn't help that some teams are learning to dive like they are playing soccer. I would really hate to find out that the ref wanted the game to end, like Randy Schmidt did. I was so happy to see Don Adam gone from my life, but I expect the Big Ten refs to suck the rest of my life.
              XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
              Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Pi giveth and Pi taketh away.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

My nephew who really wanted to be a ref quit, because it is such a thankless job, and parents are the worse. So, the pool of people who want to be refs is disappearing.
                  My son, who played all the way up through Midget 18AAA, so he was a high level player, gave up officiating as well. He reffed all up through the levels and after he decided not to play any more Junior hockey thought he might take it up more full time and seriously.
                  However, the parents, coaches and tourney admins just beat all of those thoughts right out of him and he stopped doing it at 23. People are just jerks and many times had no clue what the rules really were. He was threatened, followed in parking lots, spit at......just ridiculous stuff.

So, yea WCHA refs stink too........bad calls every single game. However, who else you gonna get? The guys left are the only ones that have decided to soldier on despite the thankless job.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Very true. Piotrowski has been a good friend of the Gophers in the past. Time to pay the piper, I suppose.
                    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                      Very true. Piotrowski has been a good friend of the Gophers in the past. Time to pay the piper, I suppose.
                      He treated Michigan the best. He was always tight with Red, his best golfing buddy and he lives in Michigan.

Comment

I would expect if you call the Big Ten offices, you would get "What, don't worry about it, Go finish filling out your NCAA BB brackets".
                        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                        Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

I know McInchak & Pochmara who officiated the ND/Minnesota game and Aaron who was at OSU's are all former CCHA refs but I haven't had a chance to see where the other's in the conference came from, high school, OHL, ect before they were hired by the B1G. Does anybody offhand know?

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            On the Minnesota thread it was said Motzko got into it with Pio after the game. Probably everyone within 50 yards could have heard what was being said. Wish I was one of them.

Comment

when it's time to change
                              you've got to rearrange
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                              X