Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2018-2019 - Still Alive!

Am I the only one who thinks these NHL teams are nuts signing a lot of these guys? What did some of these players show this year that they are near NHL caliber or ready for the pro level? Toss out the hype and the draft pick stuff - what players really showed us on the ice that they are ready for the next level? When did any of them dominate for long stretches? When did they stand out from their peers? Seriously?

You can blame the coach all you want but the performance of these players was crap for the most part and what they do get? Rewarded with NHL contracts. Just baffles my mind. I am all for kids advancing to the next level when they deserve it but many of these players are in for a rude awakening - you cant blame the coaches all the time and personal accountability will show up eventually. Cale Makar deserves to move to the next level, most of these guys dont.

So you can look at it like -

WOW!!! BU had 5 players sign pro contracts after the season - they know how to develop stud talent

or

WOW!!! BU had 5 players sign pro contracts and leave because they dont know how to develop stud talent.
    Last edited by Lemonade; 03-27-2019, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
      My God, what a disaster....

Oh, right, I'm supposed to be proud that the old alma mater is dumping all this kids into the pros....

I seriously can't fathom how this team wins 10 games next season.

BU Hockey: Sinking Ship
      Maybe Bowers looked around and said what do all these other guys who leaving know that I don't know ? I can ride the bus to games next year and get paid something for it. For BU I think this is almost as bad as BC in 2016. I am sure college hockey coaches are doing some soul searching about how to move forward. No wonder attendance is down everywhere, we are not watching players develop. I used to say that BC season tickets were the best sports value in town, BU too. That is a harder argument to make these days. SAD

Comment

I’m old. Back in my day the guys who left early were (most of the time) ready for the next level and NHL teams left ‘em alone until they were ready. I’m having trouble adjusting to the fact that neither of the above is true anymore.

Will the last player left please turn out the lights before you leave? Thanks.
        It Happened!!!!

Comment

As I said in a prior post, my biggest concern is in goal. And I guess I'd worry about how a goalie coming out of the Atlantic Hockey League would fare in a Hockey East level of competition. Maybe it would be OK, maybe not. I wonder if there is any compelling reason for a starting goalie at a Hockey East school to move to a different school in the same conference. Obviously they'd have to be eligible for graduate transfer status or they don't help address our issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
            I’m old. Back in my day the guys who left early were (most of the time) ready for the next level and NHL teams left ‘em alone until they were ready. I’m having trouble adjusting to the fact that neither of the above is true anymore.

Will the last player left please turn out the lights before you leave? Thanks.
            Not only that, the "one and done" players were mostly truly great talents (e.g. Leetch, Tkachuk).
            Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Comment

Originally posted by wysi View Post
              Not only that, the "one and done" players were mostly truly great talents (e.g. Leetch, Tkachuk).
              Of our recent one and to the NHL players, 2 of the 4 were truly great talents - Eichel and Keller. Both were clearly at a different talent level than everyone else at the collegiate level. Tkachuk and Farabee are not at that point yet and did not leave BU when they were clearly better than everyone else in college.
              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by DLG View Post
                Lekkas would be great- has played over 30 games a year for past 3 years
                Was rewarded by being selected 2nd team hockey east on a horrible team
                Is he going to graduate early as this would be only way to transfer without sitting out a year
                UVM hockey blog said he is a senior academically. He has to be one that would leave as UVM blows.
                QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                  Of our recent one and to the NHL players, 2 of the 4 were truly great talents - Eichel and Keller. Both were clearly at a different talent level than everyone else at the collegiate level. Tkachuk and Farabee are not at that point yet and did not leave BU when they were clearly better than everyone else in college.
                  Agreed, but at the same time, is it safe to say Tkachuk has exceeded expectations thus far in the NHL?

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                    UVM hockey blog said he is a senior academically. He has to be one that would leave as UVM blows.
                    https://***********/thevthockeyblog/...953785858?s=21

Source on above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by wysi View Post
                      In fact, truly great talents usually played more than one season. To name a few: Amonte played two. MacEachern three. Billy Guerin at BC played two. Even Paul Kariya came back for part of his sophomore year. Somehow there was more brand loyalty back then.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                        Agreed. There is no doubt that the CBA rules have made the "early" departure almost a given for players drafted in the top few rounds. It's hard to think that Pandolfo, Drury, etc. would have played their senior year in this environment. Could you imagine Colorado letting Drury become a free agent after those ridiculous sophomore and junior years? No way. So that is a contributor.

In terms of the rash of one-and-done's for us, I don't like the trend. As noted, Eichel was a generational player, best in the game, time to go be an NHL star. Keller, highly skilled, but I think just a few years ago, most of his type would have come back for at least another year - thinking about Johnny Gaudreau as probably a similar looking freshman. With Keller, Tkachuk, and Farabee, I don't like the "NBA/College Hoops" type feel for their brief stops on Comm Ave.

If Bowers really is gone, I do have concerns that it may point to some concerns with the coaching. It used to be considered a strength to spend years at BU under the tutelage of Parker or DQ. With Farabee and Bowers, I worry that the NHL teams and the player themselves are thinking this isn't a great place to be. I hope I am wrong.
                        BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by SMW_Bu21 View Post
                          https://***********/thevthockeyblog/...953785858?s=21

Source on above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          But why would he leave for BU after seeing all these guys leave?

Comment

Tough to say that about Farabee though since he had a very good year. I suppose coaching could be attributed to Bowers regressing but then does Albie get credit for Farabee or no?

Comment

• Originally posted by wysi View Post
                              Eichel, Kessel, Kariya (I know he sorta came back, but not really.)
                              It Happened!!!!

Comment

And I think wysi was referring to Tkachuk the elder. He left because of the olympics.
                                It Happened!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X