2019 End of Season Simulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 End of Season Simulator

Does anyone know of a simulator for the rest of the season which is operable yet? The best one used to be from Whelan, hosted at Cornell, but I don't think it's viable anymore.

Help!!

Re: 2019 End of Season Simulator

As opposed to CHN’s pairwise calculator?
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
      Does anyone know of a simulator for the rest of the season which is operable yet? The best one used to be from Whelan, hosted at Cornell, but I don't think it's viable anymore.

Help!!
      Too bad we sucked this year, or I'm sure RHamilton would have broke out what we used the two years we were contenders.

Comment

I found this in a thread earlier, I think it was the Mass-Lowell thread. Is something like this what your're looking for?

https://collegehockeyranked.com/tools/pwrcalculator/

Comment

Thanks everyone, but both Jim Dahl's and the one on CHN are too clunky for simulating the entire remainder of the season, because they don't update the possibilities of the 3rd game of the playoffs, nor do they give the brackets for next week.

Jim Dahl's has the option to add a ficticious game, but one would have to do that multiple times to play out the rest of the season.

This is why I miss Whelan's. It was easy. Once you knew the abbreviations of all the teams, it was simply a matter of adding a row to a spreadsheet and entering data. Very quick.

Comment

I believe the app you're talking about is usually released after this weekend ends on CHN. Much easier to project the results of just the semis and finals than adding 8-12 more games in every conference to it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
              I believe the app you're talking about is usually released after this weekend ends on CHN. Much easier to project the results of just the semis and finals than adding 8-12 more games in every conference to it.

There are many of those. I am not looking for an 'app'. What Whelan had available was his own data base of games played, with his own notation of teams and results, which looked something like this:

Mn Mi B10 021519 2 0

Which means: Minnesota played at Michigan in a Big 10 game on March 15, 2019, and Mn won 2-0.

And, all of that was in a simple spreadsheet-like arrangement, so it was easy to add more games. You could do this:
              Let's say that I write down that Minnesota beats Notre Dame and Ohio State beats Penn State this weekend...Those game would be listed, so I just put in 1 0 scores.
              Then, at the bottom I add my own line like this:
              Mn OS Non 32319 1 0

This means: Minnesota at Ohio State Non-Conference Game. Minnesota wins 1 0

That's easy to do.

I could do the same with Dahl's arrangement right now, but I have to click Add Game for every game I want to add. And, I have to go through the menu to choose teams. etc.

It's a great device he has there, but it's not easy to simulate from here on out.

Comment

Thanks everyone, but both Jim Dahl's and the one on CHN are too clunky for simulating the entire remainder of the season, because they don't update the possibilities of the 3rd game of the playoffs, nor do they give the brackets for next week.

Jim Dahl's has the option to add a ficticious game, but one would have to do that multiple times to play out the rest of the season.

This is why I miss Whelan's. It was easy. Once you knew the abbreviations of all the teams, it was simply a matter of adding a row to a spreadsheet and entering data. Very quick.
                There are sort of two different ideas lurking in there.

When you talk about updating the possibilities of 3rd place games, that leads me to an interactive calculator (ala Whelan's YATC, now on both CHN/USCHO), but that goes a little bit further back in time and correctly generates the third place games and seeds the conference tournaments. That would be worth doing, but has just never bubbled to the top of my lengthy to-do list. If someone else wants to put together the game logic, I'd happily donate the PWR calculations.

The other is to calculate PWR off a quick-to-edit flat file, which indeed would be a lot faster for experts than using an interactive GUI calculator (which I clearly built to fill a different need). I didn't do that because Whelan's existed, but if his is gone, it would be super-easy. Unfortunately, probably not ready today super-easy, but super-easy.

Comment

Originally posted by JimDahl View Post
                  The other is to calculate PWR off a quick-to-edit flat file, which indeed would be a lot faster for experts than using an interactive GUI calculator (which I clearly built to fill a different need). I didn't do that because Whelan's existed, but if his is gone, it would be super-easy. Unfortunately, probably not ready today super-easy, but super-easy.
                  Ok, I couldn't resist the challenge to myself. I think this is 90% of what you want:
                  https://collegehockeyranked.com/tools/textpwrcalculator/
                  The biggest issue is probably that I use team IDs (explained in the middle column) instead of team abbreviations. I'll try to get some nice abbreviations eventually. One thing that should help, it should ignore junk in the input, so you can leave yourself separators/notes in the raw input text. Let me know if there are any changes, other than team abbreviations, that would make it easier to use.

Comment

Originally posted by JimDahl View Post
                    Ok, I couldn't resist the challenge to myself. I think this is 90% of what you want:
                    https://collegehockeyranked.com/tool...pwrcalculator/
                    The biggest issue is probably that I use team IDs (explained in the middle column) instead of team abbreviations. I'll try to get some nice abbreviations eventually. One thing that should help, it should ignore junk in the input, so you can leave yourself separators/notes in the raw input text. Let me know if there are any changes, other than team abbreviations, that would make it easier to use.
                    I don't have a minute to play with that right now, but I assume that I can add any number of games that I want at the bottom, correct? For example, this week has many 2 out of 3 series, so I can add the 3rd game if needed (or you already have that), and I can add results from next week as well.

Correct? If so, that's exactly what I want, and all I really need is to learn the team IDs.

Thanks.

Comment

I don't have a minute to play with that right now, but I assume that I can add any number of games that I want at the bottom, correct? For example, this week has many 2 out of 3 series, so I can add the 3rd game if needed (or you already have that), and I can add results from next week as well.

Correct? If so, that's exactly what I want, and all I really need is to learn the team IDs.

Thanks.
                      That's right. When you hit "recalculate" it uses whatever's in the text box as the season. The text box initially populates with the real season to help you out, but you could remove games, add games, change game outcomes, or make up your own entirely fictitious season.

That it ignores everything that doesn't begin with five numbers should help a lot with the ID issue because you can embed comments to help yourself. For example, in the schedule you could have something like:

North Dakota (0) / Denver (3) best of 3
                      3 0 1 0 0
                      3 0 1 0 0
                      3 0 1 null null #3rd game, only populate if winners of games 1 and 2 differ

And it will ignore the 1st and 4th lines.
                      Last edited by JimDahl; 03-15-2019, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X