PDA

View Full Version : PWR, what could have been

JimDahl
03-05-2019, 11:33 PM
Inspired by a Twitter observation, I ran the numbers on the most impactful games on PWR this season. I think the results are really interesting, in that there would be position differences of up to 9 in PWR rank for some teams with different outcomes of individual games! Also, there would be significant differences (with tournament implications) in PWR rank for some teams if games in which they didn't even play had different outcomes.

Which games this season had the most impact on PWR (https://blog.collegehockeyranked.com/2019/03/05/which-games-this-season-had-the-most-impact-on-pwr/)

Hope you find it interesting!

dxmnkd316
03-06-2019, 12:35 AM
I’m finding it difficult to believe Minnesota’s losses to Ferris and St. Lawrence didn’t make the list.

FlagDUDE08
03-06-2019, 07:34 AM
Isn't the "My Team Got Screwed" thread a little early this year? :p

JimDahl
03-06-2019, 08:04 AM
I’m finding it difficult to believe Minnesota’s losses to Ferris and St. Lawrence didn’t make the list.

A win in either would also have the Gophers 4 spots higher, at #17. (The article includes a link to the calculator you can use to check that sort of thing for yourself).

burd
03-06-2019, 08:36 AM
I don't know how many spots UND's sweep by Canisius meant, but it was huge. From completely outside the bubble to well inside it. Of course, if you get swept by Canisius, you deserve the free-fall.

kdiff77
03-06-2019, 08:56 AM
Isn't the "My Team Got Screwed" thread a little early this year? :p

I’m sending this thread to the Lowell Sun for inspiration!

dxmnkd316
03-06-2019, 09:16 AM
A win in either would also have the Gophers 4 spots higher, at #17. (The article includes a link to the calculator you can use to check that sort of thing for yourself).

Thanks

joecct
03-06-2019, 08:22 PM
I don't know how many spots UND's sweep by Canisius meant, but it was huge. From completely outside the bubble to well inside it. Of course, if you get swept by Canisius, you deserve the free-fall.

@jarrgal: UND went 1-6-1 against Bemidji St., Western Michigan, and Canisius this season. If they went .500 in those games, they’d be ranked 8th instead of 20th in the pairwise. https://collegehockeyranked.com/tools/pwrcalculator/

@JoeMeloni: Just playing around with the Pairwise. That Canisius sweep of North Dakota is one of the defining results of the season. UND would be 10th right now if it had gotten two wins in Buffalo.

Slap Shot
03-07-2019, 01:50 PM
MN would move to 13 flipping STL and FSU. Ugh.

Sugarisland
03-07-2019, 07:57 PM
Looking at Arizona State's record I still can't figure how they are ranked so highly. No tough February conference games does help, I guess.