PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Playoffs: Augsburg at St. Norbert - Round 4



Pages : [1] 2

GB Puck Fan
03-05-2019, 09:57 PM
For the fourth consecutive year, SNC and Augsburg meet in the playoffs.

The excellent preview from SNC:
https://www.snc.edu/athletics/teamfiles/hockey/2018-19/hockey19-17.pdf

And preview from AU:
https://athletics.augsburg.edu/news/2019/3/4/mhoc030419.aspx?path=mhockey

NUProf
03-05-2019, 11:10 PM
Unfortunately, NCAA rules force these repeated matchups between teams in the same region year after year. Wouldn't it be fun if first round and quarterfinal matchups could involve teams from different regions.

Tom Coughlin
03-06-2019, 07:29 AM
Unfortunately, NCAA rules force these repeated matchups between teams in the same region year after year. Wouldn't it be fun if first round and quarterfinal matchups could involve teams from different regions.

One can only dream of a world where the 4th seed would get a home quarterfinal game against the winner of a 5/12 matchup.

Sir Nubs
03-06-2019, 08:48 AM
One can only dream of a world where the 4th seed would get a home quarterfinal game against the winner of a 5/12 matchup.

When you think about it this bracket actually works out better long term for SNC. A hot team gets to play this week. To win the national title you are going to have to beat Point in Point eventually. If you beat them in the quarters you now get the final four at home and get a 5 in the semifinals. Same path to the title, just when you play the teams is flipped with the last two rounds at home instead of just a quarterfinal.

oldauggie
03-06-2019, 09:06 AM
It is frustrating. To travel to St. Norbert and beat them seems like a tall task but it might just happen this year. I know we have been close in the past 4 years and beat them this year at The Ed. If the other MIAC teams would/could just make a big push to improve the level of play within the conference it would create a higher ranking and especially for the winner of the league. The Auggies are good this year but can you ask them to make that trip each year and get a win? Seems to me that long term, MIAC teams need to step up and book a more difficult schedule. Augsburg has been doing just that with non conference games in the NCHA and WIAC. Need everyone else to do more of the same.

pete99race
03-06-2019, 09:06 AM
For the fourth consecutive year, SNC and Augsburg meet in the playoffs.

The excellent preview from SNC:
https://www.snc.edu/athletics/teamfiles/hockey/2018-19/hockey19-17.pdf


I did not realize that St. Norbert is within three victories of Middlebury for all time NCAA Tournament victories...
Middlebury = 34 - 7 - 2
SNC = 31 - 13 - 1.

joecct
03-06-2019, 09:20 AM
I did not realize that St. Norbert is within three victories of Middlebury for all time NCAA Tournament victories...
Middlebury = 34 - 7 - 2
SNC = 31 - 13 - 1.

Love them ties. Ah the days of the DMG in NCAA play.

Tom Coughlin
03-06-2019, 10:42 AM
I did not realize that St. Norbert is within three victories of Middlebury for all time NCAA Tournament victories...
Middlebury = 34 - 7 - 2
SNC = 31 - 13 - 1.

A national championship run would put them alone in first place.

Tom Coughlin
03-06-2019, 10:42 AM
The excellent preview from SNC:
https://www.snc.edu/athletics/teamfiles/hockey/2018-19/hockey19-17.pdf

SNC has six players with at least 27 points on the year. I'm always amazed by how balanced their scoring attack is.

GB Puck Fan
03-06-2019, 12:27 PM
When you think about it this bracket actually works out better long term for SNC. A hot team gets to play this week. To win the national title you are going to have to beat Point in Point eventually. If you beat them in the quarters you now get the final four at home and get a 5 in the semifinals. Same path to the title, just when you play the teams is flipped with the last two rounds at home instead of just a quarterfinal.


Perhaps . But one more game to play is one more chance to lose

Russell Jaslow
03-06-2019, 12:45 PM
Perhaps . But one more game to play is one more chance to lose

Something all the eastern teams, no matter how they were seeded, had to do the past two years. So, my tears are not exactly flowing for SNC...

Sir Nubs
03-06-2019, 01:21 PM
Perhaps . But one more game to play is one more chance to lose

If you are good enough to win it then that shouldn't matter like 2012 for instance.

GB Puck Fan
03-06-2019, 01:26 PM
Something all the eastern teams, no matter how they were seeded, had to do the past two years. So, my tears are not exactly flowing for SNC...

Nor did I say they should be. Just my reaction to a very glass half full analysis. The worry wort in me before a matchup with a team SNC couldn’t beat earlier this year.

NUProf
03-06-2019, 02:40 PM
Nor did I say they should be. Just my reaction to a very glass half full analysis. The worry wort in me before a matchup with a team SNC couldn’t beat earlier this year.

If it's a team they can't beat, then I guess they aren't really national champions anyway

Russell Jaslow
03-06-2019, 02:42 PM
Nor did I say they should be. Just my reaction to a very glass half full analysis. The worry wort in me before a matchup with a team SNC couldn’t beat earlier this year.

No doubt, if it was "my" team, I would be worrying just like you. You never know in a one-game playoff.

nascoo
03-06-2019, 03:21 PM
Just glancing an noticed that Augs beat an tied SNC this year.
Is SNC getting the home game as result of facilities at Augs or did
Augs just get hoosed by the NCAA?

KnightsOfTheRound
03-06-2019, 03:27 PM
If it's a team they can't beat, then I guess they aren't really national champions anyway

That argument always seemed kind of tautological to me. The reality is anything can happen in a one game playoff. Even if you think your team has a 60% chance of winning, that means you still have a 40% chance of losing. I wouldn't want to spin that revolver chamber any more times than I need to.

KnightsOfTheRound
03-06-2019, 03:28 PM
Just glancing an noticed that Augs beat an tied SNC this year.
Is SNC getting the home game as result of facilities at Augs or did
Augs just get hoosed by the NCAA?

Home ice is based on the Pairwise rankings, and SNC is ranked ahead of Augsburg.

nascoo
03-06-2019, 03:34 PM
No horse in this race but when talking about teams with similar records the face to face meeting
should prevail rather than some statistical crap. Hmm, I see the games were played at Augs earlier this year.

Russell Jaslow
03-06-2019, 04:53 PM
No horse in this race but when talking about teams with similar records the face to face meeting
should prevail rather than some statistical crap. Hmm, I see the games were played at Augs earlier this year.

Once again, everything this year was based on the PWR. Period. End of story. That is the only statistic that counts. Crap or not.