Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019 B1G Tournament

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    How much would it cost to air the games on secondary BTN channels?
    This is one of the bigger BTN mysteries. Three alternate channels and not only do they not fill those all the way during football season, they only use them during football season, even putting basketball onto Plus.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
      BTN has the womens basketball tournament this weekend
      And a bunch of alternative channels at their disposal.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

If there was money to be made they would show them. So...

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
          Every time that topic comes up every Ohio State fan here has conflicting opinions on how big or small it should be. It never ends!
          Supposedly they had a long term plan on a new sports complex but it would involve tearing down multiple buildings including St.John Arena which nobody wants to see go!
          Why not put the high school tourneys in St. John?

I remember last year Nationwide was a nice alternative for the hockey playoff game.
          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
          7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post

I remember last year Nationwide was a nice alternative for the hockey playoff game.
            Basketball i could see going to St John but wrestling sells out the schott and wont ever be moved

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post

We were fortunate Nationwide was available, not always the case.
              Also with the state basketball tournament they have boys and girls with 4 different divisions so 8 championship games to be played. They need multiple facilities so putting them all in St.John Arena doesn't work.
              If we were hosting a B1G hockey tournament game this weekend it would not be at the Schott - state wrestling tournament there this weekend.
              Ohio State will not hold the Schott for their own team when they do not know if we will need it when scheduling has to be done because it could cost them to lose money renting it out for the high school crap. Plus I believe OSU and the OHSAA have a multi year contract.

Comment

Also with the state basketball tournament they have boys and girls with 4 different divisions so 8 championship games to be played. They need multiple facilities so putting them all in St.John Arena doesn't work.
                If we were hosting a B1G hockey tournament game this weekend it would not be at the Schott - state wrestling tournament there this weekend.
                Ohio State will not hold the Schott for their own team when they do not know if we will need it when scheduling has to be done because it could cost them to lose money renting it out for the high school crap. Plus I believe OSU and the OHSAA have a multi year contract.
                What did OSU, and for that matter UW, do before in the CCHA and WCHA? Not to single both out, but rumor was it was the Buckeyes and Badgers who pushed back against doing 2 out of 3 for the first two weekends, or 2 out of 3 for the first round and a four team tournament for the semis and final.

Or did neither school host basketball/wrestling until B1G Hockey started?
                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                  What did OSU, and for that matter UW, do before in the CCHA and WCHA? Not to single both out, but rumor was it was the Buckeyes and Badgers who pushed back against doing 2 out of 3 for the first two weekends, or 2 out of 3 for the first round and a four team tournament for the semis and final.

Ohio State hosted 3 series from 2007-2013 at the Ice Rink it only seats like 800 or so

Comment

Basketball is over 2 weekends they could play it in St John if they wanted to but im sure the Ohsaa would just move it out of columbus

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                      It was worse in the CCHA era. The CCHA pretty much had no pull or influence on the University whatsoever. I may ask Fred Pletsch more about that when I run into him next. But as klbaum said, they'd just shamelessly shove us back into the old barn.
                      Nowadays I think they would actually feel embarrassed if the world saw us on the B1G Network hosting a game in the old barn so they try to avoid that happening but there may not always be available options. When they list the Schott as a multi-use facility that means everybody gets to use it before we do!
                      That being said, with the program's growing success under Coach Rohlik we may finally no longer be the ugly red-headed stepchild of Ohio State Athletics.
                      Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 03-06-2019, 10:26 PM.

Comment

I turned on the women's B1G bouncy ball tournament briefly last night to see basically an empty arena so my question is what attendance numbers do they go by to justify them being on the B1G Network over hockey?
                        Also I wonder if and how TV sponsorship may factor in money wise between the two and how much it weighs in on which gets the regular broadcast vs streaming?

Comment

I turned on the women's B1G bouncy ball tournament briefly last night to see basically an empty arena so my question is what attendance numbers do they go by to justify them being on the B1G Network over hockey?
                          Also I wonder if and how TV sponsorship may factor in money wise between the two and how much it weighs in on which gets the regular broadcast vs streaming?
                          Zero idea of if, or how, it plays into it, but I pointed out elsewhere that there are 14 regular B1G members with WBB and only 6 with M Hockey. That may be a factor.
                          Originally posted by WiscTJK
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                          Originally posted by Timothy A
                          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                            Clearly more than the incremental revenue
                            The B7 makes mega millions every year on FB and BB, surely they could spare $100,000 or so to show us these games on the the alternate channels. They payout 30 to 50 MILLION every year to the member schools alone, not taking into account what they leave in their own bank accounts. This is a complete disservice to all the hockey member schools.
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I have heard Women's basketball has better viewership than college hockey.
                              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                                I have heard Women's basketball has better viewership than college hockey.
                                I'm certain the average women's basketball game draws more viewers than the average NCAA hockey game. I don't have my archives in front of me so I can't remember which game it was, but a fairly recent NCAA hockey tournament game had just 50,000 viewers. An audience that small is barely measurable and is fewer viewers that what would get, essentially, a zero rating. It isn't even measured using the same methods that tell us how many millions of people watched the latest episode of the Big Bang Theory. Some of the audience for women's basketball is also literally accidental. A viewer flipping channels sees "college basketball," maybe with a name brand college, and they stop and watch. By the time they decide they don't want to watch women, they've been registered as viewing it. That helps their ratings. Our name brand teams are mostly teams that don't compete in football or men's basketball, so no one is even curious. Denver versus Minnesota Duluth? We all know we might have a great contest, and one that matters throughout the world of college hockey. But that is a tiny, tiny world.

Comment

Working...
                                X