• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coyne's Star Continues to Rise as McGuire Takes Some Flack

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...ield-1.5000352

Re: Coyne's Star Continues to Rise as McGuire Takes Some Flack

the cold weather up there must be leaving you with nothing to do

The fact that it was her first time and he probably felt he would run a little interference for her is lost on many people. He is after all, old enough to be her father, maybe grandfather. But there are a lot of people are walking around with a chip on their shoulder PO’d against the world looking for something to pizz and moan about.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post

The fact that it was her first time and he probably felt he would run a little interference for her is lost on many people. He is after all, old enough to be her father, maybe grandfather. But there are a lot of people are walking around with a chip on their shoulder PO’d against the world looking for something to pizz and moan about.
      To be her grandfather Pierre and Pierre's hypothetical kid would both need to have had become parents at like 14/15. She's 27 he's 56.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
        To be her grandfather Pierre and Pierre's hypothetical kid would both need to have had become parents at like 14/15. She's 27 he's 56.
        so I guess it is possible, lol

FWIW
        I had a woman in one of my classes at school who was a great grandmother at 48

Comment

Well, between -53C with the wind chill factor for a couple of days...cancelling appointments...having a battery that should easily have turned the vehicle on, since it easily did so 3 hours earlier...a malfunctioning hood latch...a battery charger telling me that the battery was fully charged when it was virtually dead, (this happened a few times)...CAA lying to me two days ago, (but I didn't know it at the time), then apologizing yesterday for "the inconvenience" (read "lying to you")...then having them tell me that they would be here by 3:00 PM yesterday without fail and that I would get a call an hour before they got here, (said assurances interspersed with more apologies for having lied to me the night before), and having 3:00 PM come and go with neither a call received or a driver in my driveway and then deciding to remove the battery and get a ride to take it to my mechanic to check out since if it isn't holding a charge I'll get a prorated rebate on the battery replacement since it is only two years old...but aggravating and inconvenient nonetheless, not to mention metal wrench, bare hands and 50 below...I wouldn't exactly say that I've had nothing to do.

On this, I agree with your take completely.

I posted it because of the positive exposure for Coyne and her seemingly budding new career...not so much about McGuire.

In fact, when I read that there seemed to be some sort of problem I thought...what did I miss? In the initial viewing I thought his pointing out which team would be in which end as being rather odd but then with the next gesture with the fist bump I thought there was nothing there...nothing problematic. Actually, when I read about McGuire's "mansplainin'" I immediately thought about you with your past attempts at mansplainin'...hahaha...got a few good laughs out of that.

I had to watch it two more times before concluding that "they" must be referring to the comment about which end the respective teams were in. It struck me as one of those instances where what you mean to say and what actually is said don't exactly jive. His demeanour struck me as being protective toward her as a father toward his daughter...as you alluded to.

Similarly, last week in the clocked skating contest when he approached her on the ice right afterward with his microphone in his hand and touched her hip for a second as though to guide her to where he wanted to conduct the interview it struck me as being, again, rather odd, but I got the same impression...a combination of professional necessity to get the interview done with in a fatherly protective gesture.

McGuire used to do commentating/analysis up here with Bob McKenzie until he got lured away by NBC (I believe it was). They are both great but I always liked McGuire' style more which was always on full display during the annual World Junior Championship...he got emotionally involved in the game...he was living it with all the detail that he was giving you on the background of each player and how he thought that translated into what you were seeing on the ice. His emotional involvement added tremendous value to what you were watching and experiencing.

Gord Miller is exactly the same way up here...you get a lot more value when he is doing the commentating because of how quickly he can spike emotionally when a play on the ice warrants it.

Lastly, I do have to say that I was a bit disappointed in Coyne's take afterward by her saying something to the effect that if she didn't know McGuire and had seen this or heard of it happening to someone else that she would have been offended. I commented a bit on this kind of stuff the other day in another thread, so, I'll leave it at that.
          Last edited by Blackbeard; 02-01-2019, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X