X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2019-20 Schedules Thread

Comment

I presume UConn is essentially reviving their old holiday invitational from their Atlantic Hockey days? The UConn Hockey Classic? It was called Frozen Holiday Classic in its last year, if I remember right.

Also, after a second consultation, I heard Western Michigan will indeed have another home-and-home with Michigan. But even more interesting - the holiday tournament (not the Ice Breaker) they are participating in will not be the Desert Classic at ASU. Instead it will apparently be something new that is being held in Anaheim! Anybody out there hear any news about this at their school?

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco Hockey Fan View Post
        I presume UConn is essentially reviving their old holiday invitational from their Atlantic Hockey days? The UConn Hockey Classic? It was called Frozen Holiday Classic in its last year, if I remember right.

Also, after a second consultation, I heard Western Michigan will indeed have another home-and-home with Michigan. But even more interesting - the holiday tournament (not the Ice Breaker) they are participating in will not be the Desert Classic at ASU. Instead it will apparently be something new that is being held in Anaheim! Anybody out there hear any news about this at their school?
        It's not a revival of UCONN's tournament, as that was an invitational that they also happened to use for a conference game. This one looks to be very specific to the Connecticut teams, as I'd say it's completely different.

The only thing I've seen thus far about college hockey in Anaheim is a juniors showcase in August. However, if it looks like the state might be serious about promoting college hockey for their players, it wouldn't surprise me if a college out there would use a tournament to gather information on support of a team.
        Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 02-20-2019, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
          It always surprises me that Denver agrees to play ANY away games. OH, oops, Gwoz is gone, right?
          Originally posted by mtu_huskies
          "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
          Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
          Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco Hockey Fan View Post

This was mentioned (unsourced but confident) on another WMU board several months ago but its weird that there's no info about it. Closest thing was a Jan '18 women's tournament at Honda Center.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              Notices from last year's thread:

CCT @ Wisconsin (2)
              SLU @ Minnesota (2) (probably not given this past year's re-neg)
              Wisconsin @ Omaha
              Wisconsin @ Merrimack/BC
              North Dakota @ Mankato (2)
              UMD @ Merrimack (2)
              BC @ Bentley
              Belfast: Colgate, NE, UNH, Princeton
              Merrimack Tournament?
              SLU went to Minnesota x 2 this season. We're going to Madison and we owe Michigan Tech a visit.

Preying that the Gophers come East
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                SLU went to Minnesota x 2 this season. We're going to Madison and we owe Michigan Tech a visit.

Preying that the Gophers come East
                Somehow I doubt they will, seeing how the Mariucci is back.

Comment

Here's what the HEA standings look like thus far in terms of who the opponents could be:

Team 17-18 18-19 Gms Rem Total Max Points
                  Northeastern 33 27 3 60 66
                  Boston Coll 36 21 3 57 63
                  Providence 30 26 3 56 62
                  Boston Univ 28 24 3 52 58
                  Mass Amherst 20 32 3 52 58
                  Mass Lowell 22 27 3 49 55
                  Maine 23 24 2 47 51
                  Connecticut 23 12 3 35 41
                  New Hampshire 15 19 3 34 40
                  Vermont 18 12 2 30 34
                  Merrimack 16 10 2 26 30

There will likely be fluctuation in 2-5, but the order should be fairly close to this.

Comment

So I did a little more analysis on the HEA situation, and I think I have to re-neg on the Close/High/Middle/Low setup. Here's what it was for the previous two years, when you consider total points minus any games involving Notre Dame:

Rank Team Opponents (By Rank) 15-16 16-17 Total
                    1 Mass Lowell 2 5 6 9 25 37 62
                    2 Boston Coll 1 3 8 10 33 27 60
                    3 Providence 2 4 7 11 31 26 57
                    4 Boston Univ 3 7 8 10 26 27 53
                    5 Northeastern 1 6 7 9 23 20 43
                    6 Vermont 1 5 8 9 15 23 38
                    7 Merrimack 3 4 5 11 17 20 37
                    8 Connecticut 2 4 6 11 16 18 34
                    9 New Hampshire 1 5 6 10 14 17 31
                    10 Maine 2 4 9 11 12 12 24
                    11 Mass Amherst 3 7 8 10 8 3 11

There's an obvious pattern going on here, and I'll try to detail it:
                    Draw all teams by lot for 1-3, and again for 9-11. There's one 3 and one 9 left, which are drawn from the respective pools of the teams who were drawn to play 1 and 11. Then draw 4 and 8; looks like it's coming from the respective first-time 2-3 and 9-10 drawn pools,I don't have enough info yet to tell if you could see 1,4 or 8,11. The rest of 5-7 look to just go by lot based on who's left.

This would have to be why BU and UMASS got such a relatively easy schedule, yet UNH, UCONN, and Merrimack were relatively difficult.

EDIT: There is another hypothesis for the first two draws: In order to prevent teams playing themselves on the first draws, 2 is automatically given 1 and 3, while 10 is automatically given 9 and 11, and then they draw, which would mean you don't have the leftover 3 and 9 since they're already allocated. However, I don't yet have enough information for this; hopefully this year will bring more.
                    Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 02-25-2019, 03:03 PM.

Comment

UMD's probable non-conference schedule:

vs UML (would assume it's the October 11th and 12th)
                      @ Wisconsin (would assume it's the October 18th and 19th)
                      Home and Home vs Minnesota (October 25th at Minnesota and home October 26th)
                      @Minnesota State (Thanksgiving Weekend)
                      @Merrimack (between Christmas and New Years)
                      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post

Hadn’t heard about the UMD-Kato series. That’ll give us a nice home schedule, with NoDak and ASU also coming, and a short road trip to the Mariucci Classic

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                          Hadn’t heard about the UMD-Kato series. That’ll give us a nice home schedule, with NoDak and ASU also coming, and a short road trip to the Mariucci Classic
                          That’s what I’ve heard so far...

2 vs. North Dakota
                          2 vs. Arizona State
                          2 vs. Minnesota Duluth
                          2 @ Mariucci Classic

I did not hear that it would be Thanksgiving weekend, however — Biddy are you just speculating?
                          AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post

How certain are you on Lowell paying a visit to Duluth?
                            Tully Rink Rat
                            Dick Umile Told Me To Go Fudge Myself Club
                            Youngstar
                            UML Class of 09

Comment

Originally posted by Turk_Sanderson View Post
                              How certain are you on Lowell paying a visit to Duluth?

I'm very certain, and it will be in early October as Biddco said.
                              Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                              "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

And... I just found that a mistype threw most of my HEA research out the window, at least in terms of 1-3. 9-11 is still OK, so maybe it really is the way I hypothesized. We should know in due course.

AHC folk... have you tried figuring if there is any pattern between previous years' results and who plays whom in extra conference games?

Comment

Working...
                                X