Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goalies

"I'm not going to talk to them because I'm afraid to mess them up."

Mine may be a one-off post and, alas, it's the men's game that generated this article, but this unique species (aka "keepers") comes up periodically on the forum and perhaps it deserves its own little niche.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/27/s...sa-hockey.html

Re: Goalies

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post

Mine may be a one-off post and, alas, it's the men's game that generated this article, but this unique species (aka "keepers") comes up periodically on the forum and perhaps it deserves its own little niche.

It is long past time goalies got coaching. Just saw video of Tretiak a few days ago. The guy was a wizard and undoubtedly the best of his era and for some time after. But I don't think what he was doing would work today. Better training makes better goalies.

Years ago the local paper did a story about Gump Worsley & there was an analogy that stuck with me. "Imagine if at your job anytime something went wrong, whether it was your fault or not, a red flashing light went on behind you, a horn sounded and 18,000 booed you."

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post

Interesting article. I wonder if part of the problem is that school's just don't want to pay coaches who would only be coaching 2 or 3 players. Whenever I would see an article about a team's goalie coach it would usually have the title "volunteer" before his name (see Gopher's Andy Kent).

In watching the 2 Gopher games this weekend it brought to mind a disturbing trend I've noticed with their goalies . In recent years they've started out as brilliant goaltenders as freshman (see Kangas, Wilcox and Schierhorn) but by the time they were juniors or seniors they were either replaced in net by their backups or their SP and GAA have just continued to climb.

Goalies are an enigma.
      Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 12-30-2018, 01:12 AM. Reason: Maybe it was best Travis Weber only played 2 years.
      "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
        Interesting article. I wonder if part of the problem is that school's just don't want to pay coaches who would only be coaching 2 or 3 players. Whenever I would see an article about a team's goalie coach it would usually have the title "volunteer" before his name (see Gopher's Andy Kent).
        It isn't that no one wants to pay someone to coach just 2-3 players. It's that NCAA rules only allow for three paid coaches. In order to have a full time, paid goalie coach, Minnesota would have to fire either Joel Johnson or Bethany Brausen.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
          It isn't that no one wants to pay someone to coach just 2-3 players. It's that NCAA rules only allow for three paid coaches. In order to have a full time, paid goalie coach, Minnesota would have to fire either Joel Johnson or Bethany Brausen.
          So the answer is when Bethany Brausen gets a head coaching job someplace to hire a former Gopher goalie as a coach? When I was in high school the Health and later the Biology teacher coached hockey. So more specifically to the article maybe high schools need to hire more former goalies as teachers who can also coach.
          "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Working...
          X