PDA

View Full Version : RPI @ Brown, Saturday, 12/8

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

fr. joe
12-08-2018, 12:22 AM
It's another Saturday night.
Saturday night's alright.
The long and winding road.
Let's pick up some points on the road again.
Another one bites the dust.

Let's Go Red!

Ralph Baer
12-08-2018, 02:53 AM
2018-19 Thread-Starting Statistics:

Ralph Baer 3- 3- 0 6 points .500
DrDemento 1- 0- 0 2 points 1.000
engineerhockeyfan 1- 5- 0 2 points .167
RPI fan 4 life 0- 1- 0 0 points .000
fr joe 0- 1- 0 0 points .000

Cumulative 2003-04 - 2018-19 Thread-Starting Statistics

Ralph Baer 63-65-18 144 points .493
fr joe 49-67-13 111 points .430
engineerhockeyfan 30-49- 8 68 points .391
Red Cloud 11- 3- 1 23 points .767
hockeyhound 11-14- 1 23 points .432
GRussinko 10-15- 2 22 points .407
DrDemento 8-20- 5 21 points .318
burgie12 6- 2- 1 13 points .722
rpihockeyfan13 6- 6- 1 13 points .500
RPIBMW 4- 5- 1 9 points .450
FlagDUDE08 4- 0- 0 8 points 1.000
HighlanderRPI 3- 4- 1 7 points .438
Waite21 2- 8- 2 6 points .250
jericho 3-15- 0 6 points .167
JCrawford 2- 1- 0 4 points .667
REDRocket 2- 3- 0 4 points .400
RPIHFH 1- 1- 1 3 points .500
JennyRN 1- 1- 1 3 points .500
fishcore12 0- 0- 3 3 points .500
berbs91 1- 0- 0 2 points 1.000
ambersuds 1- 0- 0 2 points 1.000
drshoen 1- 0- 0 2 points 1.000
Jeffrey On 1- 1- 0 2 points .500
lugnut92 1- 2- 0 2 points .333
NYhockeyguy 1- 2- 0 2 points .333
RPI92 1- 4- 0 2 points .200
RKarger 0- 0- 1 1 point .500
redrocker 0- 1- 1 1 point .250
Rockchops 0- 1- 1 1 point .250
vicb 0- 3- 1 1 point .125
RPI_2003 0- 1- 0 0 points .000
RenPI 0- 1- 0 0 points .000
johnk 0- 1- 0 0 points .000
Cookin4Fun 0- 1- 0 0 points .000
RPI-Fan-Go-Red 0- 1- 0 0 points .000
ZYanksRule 0- 1- 0 0 points .000
redhead18 0- 1- 0 0 points .000
Priceless 0- 1- 0 0 points .000
REDaero91 0- 1- 0 0 points .000
ServinisScores 0- 1- 0 0 points .000
jmhusker 0- 2- 0 0 points .000
hawthr 0- 2- 0 0 points .000
Gophers #1 0- 3- 0 0 points .000
RPI fan 4 life 0- 5- 0 0 points .000

For your listening pleasure:

Fight Song
http://pepband.union.rpi.edu/music/LongHail.mp3

Alma Mater
http://pepband.union.rpi.edu/music3/06%20Alma%20Mater.mp3

DrDemento
12-08-2018, 06:27 AM
Would have started both threads this weekend but I suppose i would have to set my clock for midnight. Anyone know if tonight is being carried on WRPI radio? I cannot recall how long ago it has been since we had so many games go dark on the campus radio station. It is quite telling.

RPI fan 4 life
12-08-2018, 07:52 AM
Would have started both threads this weekend but I suppose i would have to set my clock for midnight. Anyone know if tonight is being carried on WRPI radio? I cannot recall how long ago it has been since we had so many games go dark on the campus radio station. It is quite telling.

Good question. Jericho said last night that they tried to broadcast the game. Circumstances prevented it, I guess.
Well, if Perry is doing the womenís game again this afternoon then I guess we have our answer. Iím going to bring my radio to the bouncy ball game that Iím going to be at tonight hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Ralph Baer
12-08-2018, 08:11 AM
Good question. Jericho said last night that they tried to broadcast the game. Circumstances prevented it, I guess.
Well, if Perry is doing the womenís game again this afternoon then I guess we have our answer. Iím going to bring my radio to the bouncy ball game that Iím going to be at tonight hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

I interpreted Jericho's remark as indicating that they couldn't get anyone to go to the game to broadcast it.

Ralph Baer
12-08-2018, 08:12 AM

It's part of Shirley's plot to undermine RPI hockey. :(

DrDemento
12-08-2018, 08:36 AM
I interpreted Jericho's remark as indicating that they couldn't get anyone to go to the game to broadcast it.

That is pretty much how i understood it. But still tells me a lot about the status of things when we have 3 consecutive ECAC league road games that are not streamed. Cannot recall the last time that happened.

DrDemento
12-08-2018, 08:39 AM
It's part of Shirley's plot to undermine RPI hockey. :(

Understand the facetiousness of the comment but would love to see a comparison of RPI hockey winning percentage BS and AS. I know the comparison for football shows an incredibly positive difference. If only we could transpose the football winning percentage of the past 25 years to the hockey program, we become a national power!

FlagDUDE08
12-08-2018, 10:23 AM
Understand the facetiousness of the comment but would love to see a comparison of RPI hockey winning percentage BS and AS. I know the comparison for football shows an incredibly positive difference. If only we could transpose the football winning percentage of the past 25 years to the hockey program, we become a national power!

Based on the best source for RPI hockey, there was a heck of a lot more losing than winning prior to SAJ coming into power, and then it just went downhill. https://www.augenblick.org/rpi/h_ryy.html

RPI fan 4 life
12-08-2018, 10:49 AM
Based on the best source for RPI hockey, there was a heck of a lot more losing than winning prior to SAJ coming into power, and then it just went downhill. https://www.augenblick.org/rpi/h_ryy.html

I did some calculations using the attached.
SAJ has completed 20 years. So I did the stats using the 20 years prior to her arrival and her 20 years since arriving at RPI.

Prior to SAJ: 357-265-38. 13 winning seasons.
After SAJ: 302-380-75. 9 winning seasons.

This does not count this season.

DrDemento
12-08-2018, 11:00 AM
I did some calculations using the attached.
SAJ has completed 20 years. So I did the stats using the 20 years prior to her arrival and her 20 years since arriving at RPI.

Prior to SAJ: 357-265-38. 13 winning seasons.
After SAJ: 302-380-75. 9 winning seasons.

This does not count this season.

Thanks for the numbers. Seems like quite a significant drop in winning percentage. Even if we just took the winning season percentage it goes from 65% down to 45%. But the overall win percentage (neglecting ties) goes from 57.4% down to 44.0% i suspect in any major sport that kind of comparison would get just about every coach fired!
I think that 20 years is a fair comparison to use as it covers a long enough period of time to even out for several recruit classes. Just points out that the program went from a +92 (wins-losses) in the first 20 years to a -78 in the last 20 years.

I had originally been looking at taking the past 15 years versus the previous 15 and the discrepancy seemed even far greater. But i think the 20 year period is perhaps fairer.

capswon
12-08-2018, 12:14 PM
So prior to last night's lack of effort, I would have thought tonight should be a W. But now, this turns to not only a must win but a pivotal point in the season. A loss here going into Christmas break would dismantle any type of progress no matter how slight.

DrDemento
12-08-2018, 02:45 PM
Just told by a usually reliable (until he has 4-5 drinks in him) that WRPI will indeed be broadcasting tonight's game. If that is correct i will try to listen along but will be watching the video and for me that is like chewing gum and walking complicated. It would be OK but most often the two are just so far out of sync (20 seconds or more) that confusion sets in!

engineerhockeyfan
12-08-2018, 03:22 PM
Just told by a usually reliable (until he has 4-5 drinks in him) that WRPI will indeed be broadcasting tonight's game. If that is correct i will try to listen along but will be watching the video and for me that is like chewing gum and walking complicated. It would be OK but most often the two are just so far out of sync (20 seconds or more) that confusion sets in!

I have tried that, and gave up after one period. It drove me crazy. I will watch the video tonight and make my posts between periods.

hab
12-08-2018, 03:59 PM
Blake Orosz scores with one second left to give RPI women an important 1-0 win over QU! Selander was a wall, in net, as QU outshot the Engineers 41-21. RPI moves to 4-4 in conference play, 6-9-4 overall.

DrDemento
12-08-2018, 04:00 PM
OK here it goes-I watched the entire girl's hockey game today and have to admit it was phenomenal! They won with a goal with 1 second left! But what i saw all game was just great. I think our boy's team and coaching should have watched this one. The passing was precise, the girls were very ice aware and played as a team throughout. Rarely was there an uncovered opponent and moving the puck out of the zone and up ice seemed effortless. Everyone on the ice just seemed to know where to find the open girl and get the puck to her. I realize this is an entirely different game played at a different speed so you have to make many adjustments, but it was great to watch a team play as a cohesive unit,
BTW i am not sure what the refs call and do not call as penalties but just as in the boy's game, they let a lot go on the QU side. Finally, I think we should make a motion to put Selander in net (on the boy's team)!

hab
12-08-2018, 04:07 PM
OK here it goes-I watched the entire girl's hockey game today and have to admit it was phenomenal! They won with a goal with 1 second left! But what i saw all game was just great. I think our boy's team and coaching should have watched this one. The passing was precise, the girls were very ice aware and played as a team throughout. Rarely was there an uncovered opponent and moving the puck out of the zone and up ice seemed effortless. Everyone on the ice just seemed to know where to find the open girl and get the puck to her. I realize this is an entirely different game played at a different speed so you have to make many adjustments, but it was great to watch a team play as a cohesive unit,
BTW i am not sure what the refs call and do not call as penalties but just as in the boy's game, they let a lot go on the QU side. Finally, I think we should make a motion to put Selander in net (on the boy's team)!

Seems only fair that the women should contribute Selander for a few games, as repayment for having stolen Vines from the men's team:D.

Ralph Baer
12-08-2018, 04:26 PM

I want to post two things.

1. Selander played on a boys team in Sweden. A matter of fact she wrote that some of her former teammates had played with Liljegren on some other teams.

2. Perhaps the RPI men's team should have promoted Vines to head coach instead of looking elsewhere.

DrDemento
12-08-2018, 04:31 PM
Seems only fair that the women should contribute Selander for a few games, as repayment for having stolen Vines from the men's team:D.

Seriously HAB, this group of girls was playing against a bigger (but not faster) perhaps better team and simply played the proper committee style for both offense and defense. Although Selander faced 40+ shots, most were clear for her to see and the rebounds swept aside. They just seemed to be in the proper position most of the time to receive a pass or clear a puck. Contrast that to the last few years on the men's side where we just seem to be making all the wrong decisions. We shoot when we should pass and vice versa. We spoil virtually every odd man rush up ice by over thinking or under thinking the play. Our women's team today (of course in a slower motion) looked like almost every opponent we play on the men's side. They actually seem to anticipate where their teammates are and force turnovers and create chances.
Either they made a big impression on me today or it is the vodka gimlet speaking.;)

FlagDUDE08
12-08-2018, 04:32 PM

The only different calls between men's and women's is that women are not permitted to body check (minor), but angling is permitted. Definitely much more of a fundamentals game. Only got to see a little bit here and there, but good to see we pulled out a win, especially against a team we've had difficulty with in the past.

Selander has international experience. Don't know if she'll see action in the 2022 games (would certainly be deserving if she keeps this up), but she's definitely cream of the crop.