World Juniors 2019 Vancouver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
    I have no idea how the groups are set up, but this is why the US and Canada should be in the same group, at least when the tourney is in North America. We have just been deprived of the game that everyone wanted to see. No disrespect at all to the Finns - that's not the point. But putting them in the same group at least guarantees that they play.
    The groups are set up every year (minus Buffalo so USA/Canada outdoor game was guaranteed) in a direct reflection of the previous years standings.

First, fourth, fifth, eighth and ninth play in one pool.

Second, third, sixth, seventh and 10th play in the other.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

• Re: World Juniors 2019 Vancouver

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
      The groups are set up every year (minus Buffalo so USA/Canada outdoor game was guaranteed) in a direct reflection of the previous years standings.

OK. Thanks. Next game vs Russia (I think that's safe to say since they're up 4-0) is going to be the toughest test in my opinion. Although if we get by that one and have to play Finland again, it's always tough to beat a team twice. Seems to me the US is still (despite all the praise from Nelson and Starman) going to have to up their game a bit. They were a little careless in this one and it only takes one breakdown to completely change the game. The Czechs couldn't really capitalize but you can bet the Russians will.
      Last edited by chickod; 01-02-2019, 10:10 PM.

Comment

If you want to see a textbook three-on-two execution of a funnel/high triangle zone entry philosophy, check out Jack Hughes' steal, (F1) zone entry/high slot and pass to (F2) Cates for USA goal #1. Doesn't get any better than that gentlemen. Couldn't have done better myself.

USA vs CZE HIGHLIGHTS

Comment

Finland coach had a day to remember

@OnsideWithJouni: Head coach of Team Finland, Jussi Ahokas became a father for the third time tonight. While his team was playing Canada in Vancouver, Jussi`s wife gave birth to a healthy boy over in Finland. "This is such a job, that I couldnt be on paternity leave", said coach Ahokas via @hsfi
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

Not just last year. The host team can ask for adjustments to the groupings. Scandinavian countries have asked for adjustments in the past for that very same reason.
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
              OK. Thanks. Next game vs Russia (I think that's safe to say since they're up 4-0) is going to be the toughest test in my opinion....
              FWIW, USA beat Russia in the first exhibition 3-2 on a Jack Hughes goal with 28 seconds left in regulation. So it would appear that both teams are pretty much evenly matched.
              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                FWIW, USA beat Russia in the first exhibition 3-2 on a Jack Hughes goal with 28 seconds left in regulation. So it would appear that both teams are pretty much evenly matched.
                Prior to the last two years, Russia has been a huge thorn in the USA's side at this tournament. These two always seem to be knocking each other out of the tournament lately and the 2019 edition will be no different.
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Seems like they were awarding Tissot watches to the top 3 players on the losing team. Just curious how that would effect NCAA players? Would it be like the NFL where they have to cough up watches to the NCAA or lose eligibility? Or is it ok since it’s technically not financial compensation involving a NCAA school?
                  I was watching the games on NHL network on my DTV on 31st but didn’t get the channel yesterday so had to stream. Anyone have that happen or an explanation?
                  I wanna go fast!

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    GOODBYE CANADA!!!!!! Stick breaks on a WIDE OPEN weak side, and Suomi goes the other way for the win.
                    Not good for ticket sales.
                    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
                      Seems like they were awarding Tissot watches to the top 3 players on the losing team. Just curious how that would effect NCAA players? Would it be like the NFL where they have to cough up watches to the NCAA or lose eligibility? Or is it ok since it’s technically not financial compensation involving a NCAA school?
                      I was watching the games on NHL network on my DTV on 31st but didn’t get the channel yesterday so had to stream. Anyone have that happen or an explanation?
                      Bylaw 12.1.2.1.5.3 permits awards based on performance, based on dollar amounts in bylaw 16's figures. 12.1.2.4.13 doesn't apply because the watch isn't given to everyone. I have to believe that the IIHF checked with this first, since international bodies are usually receptive to amateurism.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                        They're the ones that wanted to host every other year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                          Canadian fans are so over confident that they were probably already sold.
                          YALE HOCKEY
                          2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                            Canadian fans are so over confident that they were probably already sold.
                            Yep, they're already up on Craigslist. https://vancouver.craigslist.org/d/tickets/search/tia

Comment

I believe NCAA players don't keep the watches, actually.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                                I believe NCAA players don't keep the watches, actually.
                                I think they’re allowed to keep them as long as they don’t sell them for cash.
                                Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X