Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: U MN vs. UND: The Rumble in the Desert

Originally posted by burd View Post
    What to gopher fans have to say about the team's speed this year? Mankato had more team speed than UND last weekend.
    I feel like in general the Gophers are always pretty fast. Or at least they appear that way seeing them in so many games at Mariucci on the big ice.

I wouldn't consider this particular Gopher team incredibly fast. Guys like Pitlick can turn on the afterburners from time to time and Sheehy being healthy this year has helped his speed for sure.
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Several speedsters on the team. But Pitlick is always an end to end threat.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
        Several speedsters on the team. But Pitlick is always an end to end threat.
        Sammy Walker can really scoot.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

That's a pretty fair assessment, don't you think?

Ice size?
          Probably. Boatload of UND fans at Orleans. Might let them bet the game and drive the line down, then bet MN.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            Probably. Boatload of UND fans at Orleans. Might let them bet the game and drive the line down, then bet MN.
            Well its early and anything can happen. But the Gophers so far have a different level of toughness. The U18 team beat both Notre Dame and Michigan by 3 goals each on their home rinks. MN absolutely took that same team apart on their home rink by 6 goals. We'll see.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

....a nodak with p nis envy.
              The latter is redundant after stating the former.

As for the Gophers this year I think there's a lot of promise for me for various reasons:

1. Players that didn't progress (or regressed) last season are showing promise albeit based upon a fairly limited sample size including Sheehy, Novak, McManus and Phillips and I might have missed a few others.
              2. Rem doesn't look like he's going to flatline and appears poised to be a star
              3. They are going to be tough in net starting with Robson and when Schierhorn does get a chance there won't be a huge dropoff
              4. Incoming players that look ready for prime-time including Ranta, Walker, Wait and Brinkman
              5. If they can come up with an even marginally improved PP scoring won't be a consistent question mark

Reasons to say, "Lets' wait and see":

1. Their defense is young and unproven top to bottom
              2. They've only played 2 games that count
              3. Need to prove they can beat top NC programs consistently

I think a lot of fans felt that Motzko would rejuvenate the program and cure the malaise that seemed to befall them the last few years under tDon. I am convinced they didn't lack talent last season they lacked direction and purpose. If they can solve for that they'll be a tough out.

Comment

It sure looks like Motzko is likely to bring an element of grit or toughness to a team that has been lacking it in a fair number of years. That's a little cliche', but probably true. Gophers never fail to put bunch of talent on the ice.

We'll see how the handshake goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  Yeah? Well it's easy to talk big from the other side of the globe. Come over to this continent and say that.

Comment

Originally posted by captain beefheart View Post
                    Not a thing? Tell that to those who regularly stroll the confines of the arena up there. I heard there is a logo or two that beg to differ. Either way, the game should be entertaining....to listen to.
                    The fans still wear the logo and it is all over that building, which is a good thing. I hope the memory of the Fighting Sioux is kept alive forever because I deplore the hateful/spiteful way that it was killed off.

But my statement was factually correct : The Fighting Sioux are no longer a thing. The current North Dakota team is called the Fighting Hawks. Stupid name and pitiful logo, but sadly it is what it is.
                    National championships won by Big Ten schools : 23 (Michigan 9, Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, Michigan State 3, Ohio State 0, Penn State 0, Notre Dame 0)
                    National championships won by NCHC schools : 21 (North Dakota 8, Denver 8, MN-Duluth 3, Colorado College 2, St. Cloud State 0, Miami 0, NE-Omaha 0, Western Michigan 0)

23 > 21

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Kills View Post
                      The fans still wear the logo and it is all over that building, which is a good thing. I hope the memory of the Fighting Sioux is kept alive forever because I deplore the hateful/spiteful way that it was killed off.

But my statement was factually correct : The Fighting Sioux are no longer a thing. The current North Dakota team is called the Fighting Hawks. Stupid name and pitiful logo, but sadly it is what it is.
                      So it's still a thing , but not a thing. Got it.
                      You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

So it's still a thing , but not a thing. Got it.
                        Clearly you haven't got it. Let me try again...

The fans are keeping the memory alive by continuing to wear the old logo, but it is a logo and nickname from the past that is no longer in use. So clearly not a thing. By your flawed logic, when I wear a Led Zeppelin t-shirt I guess that makes them still a thing? LOL!!!
                        National championships won by Big Ten schools : 23 (Michigan 9, Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, Michigan State 3, Ohio State 0, Penn State 0, Notre Dame 0)
                        National championships won by NCHC schools : 21 (North Dakota 8, Denver 8, MN-Duluth 3, Colorado College 2, St. Cloud State 0, Miami 0, NE-Omaha 0, Western Michigan 0)

23 > 21

Comment

Are the Sue staying at the Imperial Palace?
                          National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

As for the Gophers this year I think there's a lot of promise for me for various reasons:

1. Players that didn't progress (or regressed) last season are showing promise albeit based upon a fairly limited sample size including Sheehy, Novak, McManus and Phillips and I might have missed a few others.
                            2. Rem doesn't look like he's going to flatline and appears poised to be a star
                            3. They are going to be tough in net starting with Robson and when Schierhorn does get a chance there won't be a huge dropoff
                            4. Incoming players that look ready for prime-time including Ranta, Walker, Wait and Brinkman
                            5. If they can come up with an even marginally improved PP scoring won't be a consistent question mark

Reasons to say, "Lets' wait and see":

1. Their defense is young and unproven top to bottom
                            2. They've only played 2 games that count
                            3. Need to prove they can beat top NC programs consistently

I think a lot of fans felt that Motzko would rejuvenate the program and cure the malaise that seemed to befall them the last few years under tDon. I am convinced they didn't lack talent last season they lacked direction and purpose. If they can solve for that they'll be a tough out.
                            Well said SS. Last season's continuous spotlight on Mittelsdorf, some shakey goaltending, and a dismal PP are gone. "Ranta Watch" for tomorrow's game. I love his kill shot. Go Gophers!
                            Last edited by SteveO; 10-26-2018, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Kills View Post
                              Clearly you haven't got it. Let me try again...

The fans are keeping the memory alive by continuing to wear the old logo, but it is a logo and nickname from the past that is no longer in use. So clearly not a thing. By your flawed logic, when I wear a Led Zeppelin t-shirt I guess that makes them still a thing? LOL!!!
                              You must be fun at parties.
                              You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

You must be fun at parties.
                                The right mix of the 'have' and 'have nots' is key to a good party.

Comment

Working...
                                X