Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    Yes, there are some young guys that are being asked to contribute, which is fine, but leadership has to come from the upperclassmen. My takeaway is that Joe is worried the young guys will become "soft" if the older guys don't lead them in the right direction.

This freshman class is one of the most talented to come through. If they learn what it takes, and why its necessary, to do the heavy lifting they will be a very strong nucleus for three more years. But for this season, they need the older guys to steer them on the right path. IMHO that has to come from the dressing room, not from the coaches office.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I completely agree. Coaches can only tell guys so much and then the players tune the coaches out. To really have it followed, the on ice/locker room leaders need to hold everyone accountable.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
      I completely agree. Coaches can only tell guys so much and then the players tune the coaches out. To really have it followed, the on ice/locker room leaders need to hold everyone accountable.
      That depends on whether the same approach is used. It has to be altered, looked at, and acted on differently.

I think this is more about a team being so young in the system.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
        The leader(s), Baltus in particular, brought the team out of the mid season funk last season. Sounds like that leader doesn't exist or has not emerged this year. I thought Steman or Luchini would be that guy. If someone doesn't pick up the torch soon I predict an early exit from the playoffs this year.
        Last edited by rustedblades; 02-03-2019, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Well for me, looking at just how they play and not comparing, they do a couple of things I'd like to see them do a lot better. They leave other teams' forwards alone in front. Standing next to them doesn't equal covering them imho. Second they still turn it over a lot in our own end. Is it better? A little bit, but it's still too high for my liking. Third, the pp is not all that hot.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Watching them in person for the first time this weekend, one thing I noticed was that Seamus seemed to turn over a lot of pucks. Both In our end and at the offensive blue line, causing break aways and odd man rushes even when we were on the PP....he is a great young player no doubt, but those kind of turnovers can hurt. Not trying to bring the boys down,just an area with room for improvement....

I like this team, I like this coach...

Comment

I like this team, I like this coach...[/QUOTE]

Me too. If this freshman class is any indication we will be really good in the next few years.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                I like this team, I like this coach...
                Me too. If this freshman class is any indication we will be really good in the next few years.[/QUOTE]Putting myself in Joe's goalie skates, that is wide be VERY concerned about the freshmen (and sophomores) taking the "soft" route. They will be very good if they get that killer instinct. And we all know it's not a Friday & Saturday thing. They need to hit it hard in practice and dryland workouts.

There are hints that there is a detrimental force in the dressing room. If that's the case, I sure hope it's either fixed or removed soon.

I too like this team. And the coaches. Go Tech Gold!

Comment

I assume were rooting against BG this weekend? Seems they can really put a lead on tech if they sweep NMU.

Comment

I've been watching the NHL lately and something I noticed they do that we don't. On the pp in particular or on any back door play, they shoot it immediately.No dilly dallying around at all. Bang, it's in. We on the other hand dust it off. Or we shoot it so poorly that it goes right at the goalie even when there is a foot of space to hit.
                    We spend all kinds of time setting up this kind of thing and then we muff it up.

Comment

• Listened to a RadioLab podcast on John Scott that covered his experience with the all star game and they implied he was the only candidate put forth by puck daddy. I seem to recall there were 4 put forth, one for each team, and John's was the only effort that caught momentum. Am I getting old and forgetful??

Comment

Originally posted by foser View Post
                        Listened to a RadioLab podcast on John Scott that covered his experience with the all star game and they implied he was the only candidate put forth by puck daddy. I seem to recall there were 4 put forth, one for each team, and John's was the only effort that caught momentum. Am I getting old and forgetful??
                        I don’t know if that’s true but part of the reason Scott took hold of the pacific is because the other 3 divisions had popular legit candidates.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I thought it was the Marek vs Wyshinski podcast that started the whole write in candidacy for Scott. Either way, glad it turned out like it did, gave a former Husky a proper send off into retirement.

Comment

I know we are not done signing recruits this year but do we as a group think that our quality of recruit is as good as it was under Coach P? I personally think we have better recruiters now than we did, though i'd like to see some more skill type players come in.I'm curious if the group thinks the recruiting is better.

And even though I liked going to see the team play in Arizona the last time, I'm not going out there again. Especially out to some tiny rink. Arizona is expensive that time of year. Once in a great while is fine but i'm not making a habit of it. I'd rather go to the east coast and see some ECAC team.
                            Last edited by manurespreader; 02-04-2019, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Recruiting is like trades. We can talk all day long but we won't know for sure until these guys actually get in the lineup. Do I get excited wen Joe lands a good one, you bet! But we have to see how they pan out.

Does Casey Pierro-Zabotel spark any memories?

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                                Q: Does Casey Pierro-Zabotel spark any memories?
                                A: Yes... So close to being a Husky.

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                                X