Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine '18-'19: Back to the Nationals!

Whitehead was a lame duck. And to Drew's point that lead to UMaine being in the worst shape it had ever been in to that point, then ultimately bottoming out a couple seasons ago. When you have 7 guys go to pro camps it is kind of hard to say there isn't any talent. The team can't hide that it is underachieving. I am curious what would happen if you let other hockey east coaches coach this team. My guess would be most would get significantly more wins.

Comment

Coaches Show is intermittant. Each time it kicks out you have to wait through leerfield commercial. Good grief.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        Pro sports wee bit different
        Agree...just from the stand point of recruiting. But if they had done it before the extension, would it have lit a fire under RG..?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
          Whitehead was a lame duck. And to Drew's point that lead to UMaine being in the worst shape it had ever been in to that point, then ultimately bottoming out a couple seasons ago. When you have 7 guys go to pro camps it is kind of hard to say there isn't any talent. The team can't hide that it is underachieving. I am curious what would happen if you let other hockey east coaches coach this team. My guess would be most would get significantly more wins.
          Whitehead still had a year on his contract, they bought him out.
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Anyone have thoughts on how the new regime will impact the school/system? I don’t think it hurts, but there might be more fashionable causes at the minute and maybe doesn’t help as much as we would like.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Your are correct on that.

Comment

Oh I forgot/missed that, my bad. It seemed lame duck because Maine still lost a few recruits and a couple players that had already played. Maybe it seemed like lame duck because it seemed like he didn't bother to set up a schedule for the next season. He must have known for a while he was being let go. I remember being very disappointed in not giving Monty a realistic shot. I am not sure Monty would have had the same success so quickly as compared to his time in Denver, but I imagine the team would have been stronger the past 5 seasons and in the national playoff picture consistently.

Comment

Fishman is so smart. All hail king fishman.

Dumb.. very dumb
                  I'm going to let that go since it was posted at 2:19 AM, which leads me to believe that you were either dead-drunk yet again, or maybe going fishing..?

Look, Blackie, I love my Bears, but I call it as I see it. I suffered through the late Semlar years, and even Shawn's first couple of seasons. Way worse then than even now, but I kept wearing my Maine sweater and subscribing to the BDN from New York way back before there even was an internet, just for Larry's write-ups a week or more after the fact, 5 papers at a time.

Having said that, I'm a realist, and maybe you're not. This Maine team isn't awful by any means, but it's not anywhere near the elite squad you seem to think it is. This team has enough talent to contend for the HE AQ (HEA is that bad this year) but they need to go balls-out every night to even get a sniff of it.

And, yes, if Red could even recruit the odd sniper, we all might be singing a different tune. I stand by that assessment. Even a Union lands a guy like that once in a while, while Red never has.
                  Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-07-2018, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                    those are the only options, you can't have a "lame duck" head coach
                    Red already appears to be retired. I'm sure he'd accept the paycheck, at any rate.
                    Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-07-2018, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Oh I forgot/missed that, my bad. It seemed lame duck because Maine still lost a few recruits and a couple players that had already played. Maybe it seemed like lame duck because it seemed like he didn't bother to set up a schedule for the next season. He must have known for a while he was being let go. I remember being very disappointed in not giving Monty a realistic shot. I am not sure Monty would have had the same success so quickly as compared to his time in Denver, but I imagine the team would have been stronger the past 5 seasons and in the national playoff picture consistently.
                      Yeah, Monty would have been a better pick but he wasn't picked, Red was. Its not not shocking Maine screwed it up. Rumors abound as to why Monty wasn't picked.

How many times has this article been written in last 5 years, Does Larry dust it off and change some of the names?
                      http://bangordailynews.com/2018/11/0...ith-penalties/
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Yeah, Monty would have been a better pick but he wasn't picked, Red was. Its not not shocking Maine screwed it up. Rumors abound as to why Monty wasn't picked.

How many times has this article been written in last 5 years, Does Larry dust it off and change some of the names?
                        http://bangordailynews.com/2018/11/0...ith-penalties/
                        What is sad is the quote from senior captain saying it is a learning process. A senior and a captain thinks taking less penalties is a learning process. And to trust the process. The process isnt working if a senior and captain says this. In fact our two captains have the most penalties on the team. What has the process taught the leaders of the team? The guys that are to be examples for the younger guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                          What is sad is the quote from senior captain saying it is a learning process. A senior and a captain thinks taking less penalties is a learning process. And to trust the process. The process isnt working if a senior and captain says this. In fact our two captains have the most penalties on the team. What has the process taught the leaders of the team? The guys that are to be examples for the younger guys.
                          To me it seems Red just teaches by punishment and yelling. Not sure that works, it wouldn't for me. I hole the AD is paying attention, our only hope at this point.

Comment

“People see that the university is making a strong commitment to the program,” _____________ says. “We’re going to have $56 million dollars in upgrades to our facilities. That speaks volumes about how important the program is to our administration, our leadership, and the board of trustees."

Name that Hockey East school pouring more money into its hockey program than Maine could come up with in three decades.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
                              “People see that the university is making a strong commitment to the program,” _____________ says. “We’re going to have $56 million dollars in upgrades to our facilities. That speaks volumes about how important the program is to our administration, our leadership, and the board of trustees."

Name that Hockey East school pouring more money into its hockey program than Maine could come up with in three decades.
                              Connecticut? I know they have plans for an on campus arena so they dont have to trek from Storrs to Hartford for games.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                                Connecticut? I know they have plans for an on campus arena so they dont have to trek from Storrs to Hartford for games.
                                Correct. Another step towards Maine, UVM and Merrimack sitting alone at the poor kids' table.

Comment

Working...
                                X