Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine '18-'19: Back to the Nationals!

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    Red just signed an extension, he aint going nowhere.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Well, isn't that lovely. This way there is enough time for all recruiting to fall apart and the team play to be truly driven into the dirt.

Comment

I actually likesd the Farrell/Cora reference someone made a few days back. I dont think these players are that bad, they need a new voice.

Whats really bizarre to me is 5 years ago Red was that guy. He got more out of Tims kids yr 1 than Tim had the yr before, there was a discenerbale bounce with his voice in the room. What the hells gone weong since then I cant figure out

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
      43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
      104-47-14 (.669) in that time
      3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
        I actually likesd the Farrell/Cora reference someone made a few days back. I dont think these players are that bad, they need a new voice.

Whats really bizarre to me is 5 years ago Red was that guy. He got more out of Tims kids yr 1 than Tim had the yr before, there was a discenerbale bounce with his voice in the room. What the hells gone weong since then I cant figure out
        Don’t forget Farrell won the World Series his first year as well. As frustrating as the last month has been Red does have the program in significantly better shape than he found it. If the new AD is going to make a change he needs to have the new coach in place by the beginning of April at the absolute latest.

It’s hard for me to see how Maine does any better than .500. Most weekends look like splits to me and I’m sure Maine will get swept once or twice along the way as well.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
          Maine screwed up big time by sitting on their *** after firing Whitehead. They should have brought Jimmy in before Denver even fired Gwozdecky.
          I wanted Jimmy too, but Gwoz would have been a great hire on paper. IIRC, he got an interview..?

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
            Maine screwed up big time by sitting on their *** after firing Whitehead. They should have brought Jimmy in before Denver even fired Gwozdecky.
            YES but that's over and done with...JM had no chance with the AD @ the time in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
              I wanted Jimmy too, but Gwoz would have been a great hire on paper. IIRC, he got an interview..?
              Jimmy was never getting hired, Gwoz made 400 large, yeah he was coming to Maine for 180

I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Friday and Saturday Swayman was Maine's best player and HOPE...he deserved way better on Saturday...no if's and but's on that. D-men continue to be a weak spot, they get turned and burned and are slow...Maine's offensive snipers are in need of some target practicing...many chances gone to waste. As of how their playing at the present time they are at best a .500 team counting Hockey East and Out of Conference play if lucky. They smell up the rink, 1st period and start of 2nd period on Friday night and then they turn around and look like gang busters the rest of the game. AND the always happening...too many penalty's...it drives everyone crazy on that account...no discipline at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                  Don’t forget Farrell won the World Series his first year as well. As frustrating as the last month has been Red does have the program in significantly better shape than he found it. If the new AD is going to make a change he needs to have the new coach in place by the beginning of April at the absolute latest.

It’s hard for me to see how Maine does any better than .500. Most weekends look like splits to me and I’m sure Maine will get swept once or twice along the way as well.
                  Does he really have it in better shape than he found it? I mean I dont think he does. Has he recruited one dude in the pros? Hutton and Shore both regressed in their second years with him so I dont think recruits are saying wow about that. 5 years ago recruits could look at Gus and say that could be me, and now we’re just 5 yrs further removed from recruits being able to say “yeah theyve won there its possible.”

Better? Eh. Debateable. Its largely the same and the longer its the same its actually worse bc mediocrity becomes the norm

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                  43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                  104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                  3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                    Does he really have it in better shape than he found it? I mean I dont think he does. Has he recruited one dude in the pros? Hutton and Shore both regressed in their second years with him so I dont think recruits are saying wow about that. 5 years ago recruits could look at Gus and say that could be me, and now we’re just 5 yrs further removed from recruits being able to say “yeah theyve won there its possible.”

Better? Eh. Debateable. Its largely the same and the longer its the same its actually worse bc mediocrity becomes the norm
                    I'm pretty sure mediocrity has already settled in, the significanty better shape comment says it all. Other than Swayman this team is mediocre at best

Comment

I'm pretty sure mediocrity has already settled in, the significanty better shape comment says it all. Other than Swayman this team is mediocre at best
                      In terms of the quality of the recruit I can see Drew's point. The team as it stood when Whitehead left it had 13 recruits from the EJHL and just 4 from USHL. The recruiting was what I feel Tim let go. He had Standbrook for a long time and then once Standbrook left the pipeline to the EJHL developed and became an Achilles for Whitehead. That last team went 11-19-8. Which is about as bad as it can get. Additionally, Whitehead didn't even bother to work on a schedule for the out of conference games.

The current team has 10 players that played USHL the year before coming here. 9 of 10 are regulars in the line up. I imagine VMT would be too, but it seems he is missing time due to injury? There are 8 players that played in a branch of the old EJHL league, which is now split up. Only 2 are in line up full time... Robbins and Doherty. The others are in and out of the line up competing for game time.

So it does seem like the overall quality and depth of the team improved. But it is kind of hard to prove that with so many stupid penalties and what appears to be lack of defensive fundamentals coached.

Having said this, it seems like this team is underachieving and that is why so many of us are disgruntled. Would like to see this team get results in line with their abilities.

Comment

Jimmy was never getting hired, Gwoz made 400 large, yeah he was coming to Maine for 180

Wasn't Timmy getting $275K in his final year? Is Red making any less..? Not saying that Gwoz should have taken any offer of that magnitude at the time, but I'm wondering if he regrets it, if it was offered.

Water under the bridge, in any case. Maine made a bad hire, extended it's mistake, and here we are 6 years later. Certainly Red's tenure has been far worse than Timmy's, in the net. Pretty obvious.
                        Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-04-2018, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                          In terms of the quality of the recruit I can see Drew's point. The team as it stood when Whitehead left it had 13 recruits from the EJHL and just 4 from USHL. The recruiting was what I feel Tim let go. He had Standbrook for a long time and then once Standbrook left the pipeline to the EJHL developed and became an Achilles for Whitehead. That last team went 11-19-8. Which is about as bad as it can get. Additionally, Whitehead didn't even bother to work on a schedule for the out of conference games.

The current team has 10 players that played USHL the year before coming here. 9 of 10 are regulars in the line up. I imagine VMT would be too, but it seems he is missing time due to injury? There are 8 players that played in a branch of the old EJHL league, which is now split up. Only 2 are in line up full time... Robbins and Doherty. The others are in and out of the line up competing for game time.

So it does seem like the overall quality and depth of the team improved. But it is kind of hard to prove that with so many stupid penalties and what appears to be lack of defensive fundamentals coached.

Having said this, it seems like this team is underachieving and that is why so many of us are disgruntled. Would like to see this team get results in line with their abilities.
                          Ya know, Blackie, as a D-3 fan I *try* to evaluate the minors, but the rankings twist in the wind from year to year. Not much cohesion or continuity. There are just too many moving parts and uninformed opinions, apparently. One year, the USPHL is the cat's azz, and the next year that same league is considered cat s***. None of that "data" is worth the paper it's printed-on to me.

The proof of the pudding to me is recruited NHL-level talent. Tim did have that, even as he was awaiting termination. Red is still waiting for his first elite recruit, last I checked.
                          Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-04-2018, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                            Ya know, Blackie, as a D-3 fan I *try* to evaluate the minors, but the rankings twist in the wind from year to year. Not much cohesion or continuity. There are just too many moving parts and uninformed opinions, apparently. One year, the USPHL is the cat's azz, and the next year that same league is considered cat s***. None of that "data" is worth the paper it's printed-on to me.

The proof of the pudding to me is recruited NHL-level talent. Tim did have that, even as he was awaiting termination. Red is still waiting for his first elite recruit, last I checked.
                            Swayman

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                              Wasn't Timmy getting $275K in his final year? Is Red making any less..? Not saying that Gwoz should have taken any offer of that magnitude at the time, but I'm wondering if he regrets it, if it was offered.

Water under the bridge, in any case. Maine made a bad hire, extended it's mistake, and here we are 6 years later. Certainly Red's tenure has been far worse than Timmy's, in the net. Pretty obvious.
                              175k for tw

https://bangordailynews.com/2010/06/04/sports/pay-for-maine-coaches-below-peers/

Reds up to 213k and we have him until June 2021.

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/03/22/umaine-gives-mens-ice-hockey-coach-red-gendron-a-two-year-contract-extension/
                              Last edited by NorthMike; 11-05-2018, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post

They'll either buy him out with a year left on his contract, or renew it for another couple years.

Comment

Working...
                                X