This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH 2018-19: Souza The Opportunity

A Makar shot heading wide banks in off the body of Richard Boyd who also picks up a penalty on the play. Looks like UNH will kill it...

---

3-0 end of two. Apparently UNH outshot UMass 8-2 that period, though I would not have guessed that - so shots now even at 14.
    Last edited by Dan; 11-03-2018, 07:14 PM.
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      My dad comes from a long line of PGA pros; 4 of his brothers were in fact, he taught a young promising golfer named Mark McCumber how to play at his course in Jacksonville, Fla in the 60's!
      I absolutely remember Mark McCumber! Of course, I have been playing for 50 years. I remember all the way back to the '62 Masters, won by Arnold Palmer. My college roommate was also a tour caddy who caddied for (among others) Al Geiberger, the original "Mr. 59." Shows you that I'm not young anymore...but you knew that!

Comment

UMass and their near 40% PP connect for a 4-0 lead. They sure look like a playoff team to me. They are fast, deep and skilled.

In an alternate reality, UNH acts decisively three years ago, opting for a national search instead of a transition period and hires Greg Carvel...

---

UNH gets one late. Sato scores on a pass across the goal mouth. A nice moment for a kid who skates and works super hard...

---

UMass quickly scores again. A less nice moment. 5-1 is the final...
        Last edited by Dan; 11-03-2018, 08:00 PM.
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

IMHO, Robinson is the weak link right now. He should have had a clear vision on that fifth goal.

I honestly don't know what the San Jose Sharks see in this kid; mediocre goalie at best. I hope Taylor gets the nod next weekend.
          UNH

Comment

Unfortunately...my 96 year old dad passed on Wednesday...a great life the old golf pro had but time to play the game from a different plane. Sigh. As per those Minutemen...yes, we await the onslaught of the Minutemen and hope we can contain them on our great sheet...
            My condolences to you and your family.
            UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
              IMHO, Robinson is the weak link right now. He should have had a clear vision on that fifth goal.

I honestly don't know what the San Jose Sharks see in this kid; mediocre goalie at best. I hope Taylor gets the nod next weekend.
              Well not sure I’d hang this totally on him (the last goal ok ) as I didn’t think we showed up defensively tonight. Have to give it to the Flagship they played a blistering pace (in fact the entire first period seemed like a horse race)and knew where each other was all night. Makar is such a fluid player quite gifted.

Offensively we couldn’t catch a pass and made a few poor decisions and didn’t generate too much in front of the net. Of course I’m spending most of the night keeping an eye on the Frosh esp Pierson and MacKinnon who I am most impressed with. Still looking for the playmaker. Onto UML and BU...
              I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

My condolences to you and your family.
                Scott thank you very much it’s appreciated!! Was glad to be at the game tonight a much needed distraction.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  UNH fails to score on the 5x3 - or ensuing 5x4 - but Snively will be pleased to note they still use two men below the goal line. They generated one decent 5x3 chance but it took them all 30 seconds to do so. UMass PK (and PP) enter the game ranked first in HE...
                  I am not at all happy to hear that about our 5-3 PP, even if we did get a SOG out of it; that two behind the net PP simply looks so ludicrously stupid to me, and I am really glad that I did see it in person. Now I am dreading the Cats might be on a 5-3 PP against UML or BU next weekend. If so, I will close my eyes, as I cannot risk ever watching it again.
                  Last edited by Snively65; 11-03-2018, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Q: will we see Engaras soon?

Comment

Well not sure I’d hang this totally on him (the last goal ok ) as I didn’t think we showed up defensively tonight. Have to give it to the Flagship they played a blistering pace (in fact the entire first period seemed like a horse race)and knew where each other was all night. Makar is such a fluid player quite gifted.

Offensively we couldn’t catch a pass and made a few poor decisions and didn’t generate too much in front of the net. Of course I’m spending most of the night keeping an eye on the Frosh esp Pierson and MacKinnon who I am most impressed with. Still looking for the playmaker. Onto UML and BU...
                      Yeah I agree it was not 100% his fault. But if the players in front of you aren't clicking offensively or defensively, you, the goalie need to step it up. With a Tirone in net, this game would have been a lot closer. I guess this team will only be as good as their goaltenders can carry them.
                      UNH

Comment

Q: will we see Engaras soon?
                        We should....I believe his six-game NCAA sanction is over as of tonight?
                        UNH

Comment

• I don't agree with the Robinson sentiment - first of all he played strong games against Colgate and UVM and was flat-out outstanding at CC. He may not have been as good tonight but he entered the game with a .927 save-percentage and a 2.07 GAA...

Tonight's first UMass goal came on a beautiful blind and against the grain pass between his legs by Chau to create a wide-open look at an empty net. The second goal came on a pass from behind the net to a UMass player who skated right past two UNH forwards to a wide-open place in the low slot for a one-timer. The third goal was off of a wrist shot heading wide of the net before it hit Boyd and bounced in. The fourth goal he could have been bigger but t was a Leonard snipe from 30 feet away. Tirone isn't stopping a single one of the first four. Robinson is the far superior goaltender...

I missed the fifth posting about Sato's goal, but I'll go back and watch it. But UNH's biggest problem on both sides of the puck continues to be a lack of moving their feet, in transition, on the attack and on D. For a team who's HC consistently talks about how fast and aggressive they want to play this is concerning...

UMass meanwhile never stops skating. It's easier when you're deeper but thats good hockey to watch. That's how UNH supposedly wants to play. Twenty-two shots for UMass is shocking - because it sure seemed like a lot more than that. I wonder how many nets they missed or shots they had blocked.

Robinson may have had his worst night of the season - but I'd agree with Ref that it was a direct result of his teammates being thoroughly outplayed. Thoroughly. Taylor will probably play again next weekend, as I imagine the rotation was only on hold due to the single game weekends, but Robinson may well have been UNHs most valuable player thru the first three weekends...

The team needs to be much better - skating for three periods and playing fast requires nothing more than effort. You need to move your feet to defend. You need to move your feet on the attack to create chances. UNH is better than what they've shown if they do this...

---

On another note, I simply don't get Blackburn being relegated to the fourth line with players who can't either put him in a position to score or give him opportunities to create for them. His 21 goals and 42 points trail only Grasso in the last two plus seasons (and he didn't score a number of his those goals riding shot-gun to TK on the PP). It seems like an odd coaching decision to take your (at worst) second most productive forward out of the picture offensively...

He should be in the top six - creating and finishing next to more talented options. I know who I'd replace but that would go against longstanding UNH tradition...

Assuming Engaras is back next weekend:

Crookshank - Blackburn - Grasso
                          Nazarian - Pierson - Kelleher
                          MacAdams - Vela - Engaras
                          BVR - Miller - Esposito

*If they skate a 13th forward than plug Sacco/Sato/Cefalu/Cippolone/Fregona (whoever it is that day) into the BVR spot and make BVR the 13th guy plying a regular shift and capable of filling any wing role on any line...

---

Missed the news about your father Ref. Very sorry to hear about that...
                          Last edited by Dan; 11-03-2018, 11:21 PM.
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

Not sure what game you were watching but four of the five goals he let up were a direct result of the atrocious play of UNH in their own end. My first time watching them in person and, to be generous, they have a long way to go. What did they have, maybe two Grade A shots all night? PP was abysmal, especially the five on three. Don’t see much room for optimism at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                              Not sure what game you were watching but four of the five goals he let up were a direct result of the atrocious play of UNH in their own end. My first time watching them in person and, to be generous, they have a long way to go. What did they have, maybe two Grade A shots all night? PP was abysmal, especially the five on three. Don’t see much room for optimism at this point.
                              I don't disagree that they have a long way to go - but UMass is exceptional this year. The idea that they might miss the playoffs was laughable and with BC and BU looking so horrible to start the season they just might win HE, depending on how they play against PC next weekend...

They are so deep with skill players - one of their leading scorers was suspended tonight. Anyone notice? They have a lot of scoring depth up front. Their D is as talented and mobile as any in the country and they have two very good goalies. They're going to make a lot of teams look bad...

Their coaching staff inherited one of the worst programs in the country and immediately set about recruiting elite skill and production beating out strong programs for top talent. Players they had NO business getting based on UMass history...

But they didn't settle and they DID get them. They made zero excuses and they aggressively attacked recruiting with a real plan on how those players could turn a program around. THAT is how it's done. And it proves it can be done anywhere when you don't sit around and wait for players to approach you because they inherently understand the pride they should take in your program that hasn't been relevant in years...
                              Last edited by Dan; 11-03-2018, 11:10 PM.
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                                I don't agree with the Robinson sentiment - first of all he played strong games against Colgate and UVM and was flat-out outstanding at CC. He may not have been as good tonight but he entered the game with a .927 save-percentage and a 2.07 GAA...

Tonight's first UMass goal came on a beautiful blind and against the grain pass between his legs by Chau to create a wide-open look at an empty net. The second goal came on a pass from behind the net to a UMass player who skated right past two UNH forwards to a wide-open place in the low slot for a one-timer. The third goal was off of a wrist shot heading wide of the net before it hit Boyd and bounced in. The fourth goal he could have been bigger but t was a Leonard snipe from 30 feet away. Tirone isn't stopping a single one of the first four. Robinson is the far superior goaltender...

I missed the fifth posting about Sato's goal, but I'll go back and watch it. But UNH's biggest problem on both sides of the puck continues to be a lack of moving their feet, in transition, on the attack and on D. For a team who's HC consistently talks about how fast and aggressive they want to play this is concerning...

UMass meanwhile never stops skating. It's easier when you're deeper but thats good hockey to watch. That's how UNH supposedly wants to play. Twenty-two shots for UMass is shocking - because it sure seemed like a lot more than that. I wonder how many nets they missed or shots they had blocked.

Robinson may have had his worst night of the season - but I'd agree with Ref that it was a direct result of his teammates being thoroughly outplayed. Thoroughly. Taylor will probably play again next weekend, as I imagine the rotation was only on hold due to the single game weekends, but Robinson may well have been UNHs most valuable player thru the first three weekends...

The team needs to be much better - skating for three periods and playing fast requires nothing more than effort. You need to move your feet to defend. You need to move your feet on the attack to create chances. UNH is better than what they've shown if they do this...

---

On another note, I simply don't get Blackburn being relegated to the fourth line with players who can't either put him in a position to score or give him opportunities to create for them. His 21 goals and 42 points trail only Grasso in the last two plus seasons (and he didn't score a number of his those goals riding shot-gun to TK on the PP). It seems like an odd coaching decision to take your (at worst) second most productive forward out of the picture offensively...

He should be in the top six - creating and finishing next to more talented options. I know who I'd replace but that would go against longstanding UNH tradition...

Assuming Engaras is back next weekend:

Crookshank - Blackburn - Grasso
                                Nazarian - Pierson - Kelleher
                                MacAdams - Vela - Engaras
                                BVR - Miller - Esposito
                                (Extra if Applicable)

---

Missed the news about your father Ref. Very sorry to hear about that...
                                Thanks Dan for your kind sentiments they mean alot. And I'd have to echo many of your views of the game, how we played, what we need to be better with. I wondered what was up with Blackburn being where he was in the line up as I always think he's fares best/compliments Grasso. Of course I do not know the dynamics of the team and what goes on from week to week, but I do agree he's very valuable in the top 6. Agree with your top line choice. I totally believe things will start to click with further adjustment for our offensive Freshmen; they have already shown they are capable and if the combos are right I think we'll see some great stuff!

UMass is the real deal and if that's the game UNH should be playing, hey, can't disagree necessarily!! Soooo fast paced and many scoring opps esp in the first period for them. I am glad we'll see them play twice next weekend against 2 top opponents; trial by fire for our newer players (which can only help later on)...

And it wasn't all bad out there; we had our moments and when we can crash the net, that's good stuff. Good for Kohei netting that goal. More of that please!

Comment

Working...
                                X