Free on TerrierTV. See link on the blog post:

http://terrierhockey.blogspot.com
    Tomorrow night's game on NESN+.

Comment

• Re: BU Terriers 2018-19: Albie in Charge

Alot of open seats. ???

Comment

Nice to get the win, but I feel worse about the team than I did going into the game. Maine had some dominating stretches during the game. Nice to see the PP click three times, and kudos to Bowers on hustling to draw that late penalty. Vidoli finally played - looks like a good skater, had one bad turnover. Farrance also had a bad turnover that led to the scramble and Amonte's penalty, after which Maine scored the tying goal. I guess Farance redeemed himself with the GWG. Looking forward to watching tomorrow's game in person.

Whoever was in charge of following the puck on TerrierTV should be replaced. Especially in the first period, it was like there was a limit on how fast they could pan from side to side, so the puck would always get ahead of the panning and you'd lose sight of it for a couple seconds, with no idea what was going on.
        BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
          Just a little reminiscing leading up to the pair against Maine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wobkqpJb67Y

The shots of the crowd after the goal show what made WBA so great, and to some extent, how the general crowd enthusiasm has changed over the years. Maybe it's because there were more students throughout the whole arena, but you can see even many adults literally jumping up and down.
          It is amazing how far it has fallen. Atmosphere tonight was pitiful. Box score has attendance at 2883 and I’m surprised it was that many. Five minutes into the game some sections litterally had 15 to 20 people in them.

Airing of other grievances:
          - Price of parking is back up to $12.
          - Quality of food is still very sub par... how many years could it take to get it right?
          - When will they figure out a system so it does not take 30 min to get an ice cream?
          - When exiting the garage, why on earth to the rent a cops make everyone turn left forcing everyone to exit westbound on comm Ave? All the cars who need to head eastbound doing U turns in front of t-Anthony’s only adds to the congestion. I mean come on... let the people who are heading east turn right and those heading west turn left.
          Last edited by ericredaxe; 11-16-2018, 10:40 PM.

Comment

up to 25 now!
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
              It is amazing how far it has fallen. Atmosphere tonight was pitiful. Box score has attendance at 2883 and I’m surprised it was that many. Five minutes into the game some sections litterally had 15 to 20 people in them.

- Quality of food is still very sub par... how many years could it take to get it right?
              - When will they figure out a system so it does not take 30 min to get an ice cream?
              - When exiting the garage, why on earth to the rent a cops make everyone turn left forcing everyone to exit westbound on comm Ave? All the cars who need to head eastbound doing U turns in front of t-Anthony’s only adds to the congestion. I mean come on... let the people who are heading east turn right and those heading west turn left.
              The forced left turn out of the garage is due to the ongoing construction at the Comm Ave/BU Bridge intersection. It’s still being worked on overnight. God knows when that will be done. Traffic heading east on Comm Ave is bad enough when they drop down to one lane. When you add in game traffic, you get a fustercluck of epic proportions.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                Besides all the other reasons that have been mentioned regarding attendance and atmosphere, there is one obvious difference between then (15 Nov 1991) and now: the arenas. Reported attendance for the game then was 3304, 89.5% capacity of WBA (3,684), while last night's attendance of 2,883, 46.9% capacity of HAA (and 78% capacity of WBA). Furthermore, WBA had a low ceiling that helped amplify sound, while HAA has a high roof that doesn't.

As for the atmosphere, the situations between the two are also quite different. Then BU was coming off a Hockey East championship and Frozen Four championship game appearance and Maine was coming off losing to BU in the HE championship game and a loss in the Frozen Four semifinals. Maine came into the game 3-0 and the top ranked team in the polls and BU came in 4-0 and the 4th ranked team. This year BU did come into the season fresh off another Hockey East championship, but Maine came in off a league quarterfinal series loss and both teams came into the game unranked and with losing records.

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                Yes, BU did raise parking to $12 several seasons ago, but they then dropped it back to $10, during the season as I recall. And parking has been $10 since HAA opened except for that one (partial) season.

Sean
                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                NCAA Hockey Financials
                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                  Besides all the other reasons that have been mentioned regarding attendance and atmosphere, there is one obvious difference between then (15 Nov 1991) and now: the arenas. Reported attendance for the game then was 3304, 89.5% capacity of WBA (3,684), while last night's attendance of 2,883, 46.9% capacity of HAA (and 78% capacity of WBA). Furthermore, WBA had a low ceiling that helped amplify sound, while HAA has a high roof that doesn't.

As for the atmosphere, the situations between the two are also quite different. Then BU was coming off a Hockey East championship and Frozen Four championship game appearance and Maine was coming off losing to BU in the HE championship game and a loss in the Frozen Four semifinals. Maine came into the game 3-0 and the top ranked team in the polls and BU came in 4-0 and the 4th ranked team. This year BU did come into the season fresh off another Hockey East championship, but Maine came in off a league quarterfinal series loss and both teams came into the game unranked and with losing records.

Yes, BU did raise parking to $12 several seasons ago, but they then dropped it back to $10, during the season as I recall. And parking has been $10 since HAA opened except for that one (partial) season.

Sean
                  Indeed. 2883 would at least seem full-ish in WBA compared to basically empty in HAA. (Wasn’t capacity 3806? I seem to remember that number announced by Jim Prior an awful lot of times).

That is my memory too on parking, but was back up to $12 last night.

Comment

Yeah, it is certainly slanted to compare the two games too strictly. In addition to what Sean mentioned about that 1991 game, Maine had stormed back to tie the game after being down 4-2 (maybe even 4-1, not sure), and then they get a power play in the final minute or so of the game. The crowd was certainly worried about a loss at that point, and to have BU get an SHG like that was just awesome. BU had so many new faces, that BU fans were excited to have the team off to such a good start. But we thought it might come crashing down with Maine coming in (it sort of did the next night when the Black Bears smoked us something like 8-2).

Then both teams lost to Bryan Smolinski and the Spartans in the NCAA's (Bu in the first round, Main in the second).

Comment

On another note... has there been any word about the holiday skate this year?

Comment

So they won. It's ok to smile, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                          That is my memory too on parking, but was back up to $12 last night.
                          Got to make back that 15% discount on concessions for Loyalty cardholders. Although, I might argue that by virtue of having a “loyalty” card, one should know better than to order anything from concessions anyways.
                          Go BU!

Comment

That 1991 BU-Maine game was the second game I attended as a freshman. Still remember that short handed goal to this day. While BC was/is our traditional rivals, most of the 90's belonged to BU-Maine as both were jockeying for top rankings nationally nearly every season during that stretch. Having Walsh and Parker coaching added an extra level of disdain between the teams and the fan bases. Good times.

Comment

Whatever the reasons, attending a college hockey game pales in comparison to even ten years ago. I recall when HAA opened, it wasn’t electric like WBA could get, but it was loud and exciting most times.
                              My culprits: smartphones, over the top security, ridiculous game day productions, horrendous concessions, rising prices, constant large-scale roster overturn. Specifically, I think the music died when HAA had both ends packed with students for the first BC game of the year, place was jumping, and freaking Destry Straight scored right out of the gate- 2012 maybe? The whole game was a downer. 3-0 in the 3rd before BU scored once or twice. Never got it back.
                              Last edited by RoughEmUp; 11-17-2018, 01:38 PM.
                              Go BU!

Comment

Originally posted by RoughEmUp View Post
                                My culprits: smartphones
                                You can stop right there, this is far and away the biggest factor, IMHO. Our world is shifting so dramatically, it is hard to understand what the long-term repercussions are. As a parent of two teenagers, I think about this constantly, and it scares the crap out of me.

Entertainment is so easy to find in the palm of your hand, that so many kids have no interest in going to this form of actual live entertainment. And then those that do are more concerned about showing everyone online that they are there in real time than taking in the details of the game.

Thankfully, both my boys still have an interest in watching a game live (taking them both tonight), but so many other "real" activities require practically bribing them.

Comment

Working...
                                X