X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BGSU Falcons 2018-19 - The length of Lake Erie from Buffalo

We’ve had a great offseason, including:
    • Alec Rahauser selected as a second team All American
    • Hamburgler stealing a playoff game for the Avs against the Preds MileHighHockey
    • Ryan Carpenter VGK in the Stanley Cup Finals
    • College roommates George McPhee VGK GM vs. Brian MacLellan CAPS GM in the Stanley Cup Finals
    • Todd Reirdon CAPS winning the Stanley Cup
    • George McPhee voted NHL General Manager of the Year FloHockey
    • Hall of Fame broadcaster Doc Emrick continuing to be the gold standard in NHL broadcasting
    • Todd Reirdon CAPS becoming their new head coach NHL.com Washington Post
    • Dan Bylsma becoming an assistant coach with the Red Wings
    • Brandon Kruse drafted by VGK in the 5th round with the 135th pick
    • Brandon Kruse participating in the World Junior Summer Showcase
    • Everett Fitzhugh making his NHL broadcasting debut for the Caps
    • Student section in The Slate moving to the closed (north) end of the arena to increase opportunities for the Bleacher Creatures to pester the opposing goaltender
    • I think I’m still missing a couple…

Our 2018-19 season starts against Mercyhurst tonight (returning the favor from their visit for our 50th anniversary of The Slate 2 years ago). Key matchups in October against WMU and OSU. All of our goaltending and defense and most of our scoring returns this year. This is one of Bergeron's best teams on paper in his 9 years at BG. 28 years since our last trip to the dance. Hoping this season is as great as our offseason.

Re: BGSU Falcons 2018-19 - The length of Lake Erie from Buffalo

I have high expectations. BG has fallen just short in the recent past, the prime example being the 2OT loss to Tech in the WCHA final. (IIRC, that game would have been at our place with one more regular-season win.) If the sophomores put up like last season, plus a little more, the team will do well. BG won the GLI last season--finally won something after too many years--now win a championship!
    Go Falcons!

Comment

I purposefully didn't pick BG first so they could win the league without my jinx.

Good luck this year to the Falcons. I think this could be their time.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

As we've discussed over on AZZ, not sure whether we learned anything about this team. Excellent showing against a team we expected to beat. WMU, however, is another animal. By Tuesday evening we'll know a lot more about this team.

Thanks for keeping karma at bay for us this year, Geof.

Comment

Well, we learned something tonight in a 6-2 win over Western. Western dominated a lot of the game (and most of the action in the second), but:
          • Our forecheck is relentless. Though we didn't have a lot of SOGs, we scored goal after goal on turnovers coming off the forecheck. Be prepared, we're coming for you.
          • We make very few mistakes. Our defense is rock solid.
          • Ryan Bednard played up to his potential. No cheap goals, a lot of high quality saves.
          • We've scored 14 goals in 2 games. Yes, we're talking about BG. I know that seems very strange - it's usually 14 goals in 7 games.

This was a huge win for the team and for our program. Long way to go in the season but it's nice to get off to a good start.
          Last edited by TalonsUpPuckDown; 10-09-2018, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Very few of their shots were easy. Bednard was stellar but the D was excellent regardless of the SOG. We were also very opportunistic. We took what they gave us and we made it count. I think the 3rd period was more akin to how we'll be playing the majority of the season. Smothering defense and opportunistic offense.

Comment

Looking forward to our games against you in a couple of weeks. Always enjoy reliving a bit of the CCHA era and I have tickets for at OSU and at BG!

Comment

Congrats! I was at Mercyhurst on Saturday and just saw last night’s score. As a Colgate season ticket holder, I am very impressed with what I see in BGSU this season. Keep it up.

Comment

Well, after a crappy showing on Friday the team showed up and redeemed themselves with a 6-0 thrashing of RMU tonight.

4 games into the season 3 of the top 5 scoring leaders are Falcons including 1a and 1b (Kruse and Johnson). That hasn't happened too often. Understand that will change but again, it's nice to get off to a reasonably good start. Week off before WMU shows up for the other half of the home-and-home then it's a home-and-home with the Buckeyes. CCHA part deux for us.

Comment

Another congrats!! Is your school administration totally behind your program these days? If not, they need to get on-board. It seems like BGSU struggled with admin support in years gone by.

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
                      Another congrats!! Is your school administration totally behind your program these days? If not, they need to get on-board. It seems like BGSU struggled with admin support in years gone by.
                      Those issues are long in our past. Last president was a season ticket holder (her comment to me was that she’d never really heard of hockey before coming to BG but she’d become a huge fan). Current president is hosting students in his box.
                      Last edited by TalonsUpPuckDown; 10-15-2018, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Stopped by for the RMU game on Sunday. I had never made it up to BG before so I figured I'd stop by on my way through town. Had a great time! Awesome student section and a really classic old-school feeling college hockey arena, even with the nice improvements. Excited to see that OSU has you guys back on the schedule this year. Good luck with the rest of your season!
                        Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                        University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

I didn't realize until tonight you guys play on Tuesday. That's not a lot of time to stop feeling the bruises for your game here on Friday.

Comment

4 games in 8 days to start things off (Baylis went down in the first game, hoping he's back for Tuesday), a week off, then 3 games against ranked teams over the next 5 days. Tough schedule to start the season. After this, we fall into our regular WCHA season cadence.

See you at the Schott and the Slate.

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                              4 games in 8 days to start things off (Baylis went down in the first game, hoping he's back for Tuesday), a week off, then 3 games against ranked teams over the next 5 days. Tough schedule to start the season. After this, we fall into our regular WCHA season cadence.

See you at the Schott and the Slate.
                              See you at both as well and safe travels to you!

Comment

Working...
                              X