Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

Guess our result against Princeton scared me off on them, but I could agree with you on them. Harvard I'm not sure of.

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
      Well said Doc. From what I could catch these last 2 weekends, we do have some talent, and can compete fairly well. We do have moments where our hockey IQ/metal toughness seems to disappear and trigger breakdowns and on to goals against. I think experience and playing together will develop this over time.

I disagree re: fundamentals. This team seems miles ahead in terms of accomplishing basic hockey plays from as recently as 3 seasons ago. I like all of the subtractions coach Smith has made - this team does not have a lot of quit and they have ability to play in a structure.
      I agree that this team is much better prepared than the past few years. However, if we can't put the puck in the net, we are doomed. We have some potential with the younger players, but they well have to gain some experience and hope that their confidence is not shot during this period.
      I hope that the three players coming in will give us some offensive punch.
      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
      Benjamin Franklin
      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
      Gary Player

Comment

Speaking of the transfers, where do you slot them in and who sits? Burke right now seems to be the odd forward out and Harris on D.

Comment

Originally posted by capswon View Post
          Speaking of the transfers, where do you slot them in and who sits? Burke right now seems to be the odd forward out and Harris on D.
          I wouldn't be surprised if Burke plays vs. Brown. He seems to be more of a bruiser forward that's needed when we play the not-so-quick teams, but sits when we play the faster ones.

I've yet to see the other three play so I don't know, but it'll certainly be some tough competition.

Comment

Thankfully NBCSN had Curling Night in America on directly after the first game, so the weekend wasn't a total loss.

Comment

• Originally posted by capswon View Post
              First off would have been nice to steal one in ND. No hockey gods on our side this weekend and you kind of had to figure that. With that being said, we just need to score on our chances. We had plenty but how do we run into two hot goalies back to back? Burgess has no puck luck right now, Friday gets absolutely robbed, Saturday gets stopped on a breakaway. Ott gets hooked/slashed on Friday semi breakaway no call. In the slot earlier on PP and puck hops on him last minute and winds up shaking it and the story goes on. I think split the top line and put either one of the guys second or third line for some more balance. Some of our D hold puck too long and get smothered. Its gotta move quicker, gets those lanes open. Savory is #1 Perry is #2. With all that.....I still see this team as a 7 or 8 seed possibly 6 at end of year.

Just my opinion feel free to rip apart.
              Burgess has disappointed. Period. Injuries have played a major role, but are not completely to blame. Pure goal scorers simply bury pucks --he has not shown that ability in college. With half a season to go , I see no reason to expect him to score with any regularity....but sure hope he proves me wrong.
              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Adam Oates?

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

For what its worth here's my opinion on the state of the team ....

Transfers ..... While I expect all 3 to get into game action during the Christmas break to the season, I would think that only Bear will be a steady contributor since he was a solid performer for UMass. The other two played very small roles if you could call there time at the others schools even small roles so I'm not expecting much from them.

Goaltenders .... IMO Perry deserved the start on Saturday. He came into the game and stopped 16 of 17 shots. He looked a little rusty, understandable since he hasn't played in 9 mos. With the Saturday start going to Savory I believe you will see Savory in net this weekend starting with Yale. Savory is Smith's goalie recruit and Saturday night he played 10 Freshman so I think that shows the direction he is moving in.

Goal scoring .... You can say all you want about Burgess not scoring on the breakaway on Saturday, should he have? Probably, but he's not a pure goal scorer and I do believe there are a couple of players on this team that can be. The problem is we don't have enough players with vision to be able to get the goal scorers the puck when they are in scoring position. RPI still is a selfish team from an individual player perspective. This team will have forwards or defenseman in open areas with clear lanes to the net and instead of moving the puck to them shots are taken when there is no hope of them getting through to the net. You will never get more then 2 goals per game until that changes and I put that blame on the coach. Make players accountable.... film sessions will clearly show all what needs to be done and if they continue to play like that sit them, bench them, pull them out of the lineup. Only then will you see real change in goal scoring.

The dreaded trap .... if you're going to play the trap then play it aggressively not passively. That's what this team does, a passive trap. I've never seen teams break out as easily as RPI's opposition.

I listened to the telecast this weekend and other bloggers write about Hayhurst, Lacka and Lappenen being the #1 line. They've played 4 games together and generated 1 even strength goal. That does not make a #1 line. Stop with rotating personnel not only game by game but how about period by period and even shift by shift. No one likes to hear the word chemistry but you certainly are going to generate it or even know instinctively where your linemates are going to be if you don't play consistently with the same people. That goes too for the Dmen. Stop playing 7 Dmen in a game go back to just 6. Just because the rules changed and you can dress 19 skaters doesn't mean you actually have to do it. Most of the programs don't dress 19 and certainly not to play 19 equally.

IMO there have been signs of improvement, small signs but there could be a lot more.

Just my thoughts for today.

Comment

UMASS was below 500 last year, and now it seems like they can't lose. Maybe they cut the right guy?

Perry going in on Friday pretty much solidified the original plan was for Marshall and Savory to split the weekend duties.

Hayhurst, Lacka, and Leppänen are definitely the top line. Which means the top D-men will go against them. When you're a one line team (remember the Carey line from SLU a few years back), and the other lines can't do jack, you're easy to beat. Doesn't matter how many players you dress.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      UMASS was below 500 last year, and now it seems like they can't lose. Maybe they cut the right guy?

Perry going in on Friday pretty much solidified the original plan was for Marshall and Savory to split the weekend duties.

Hayhurst, Lacka, and Leppänen are definitely the top line. Which means the top D-men will go against them. When you're a one line team
                      (remember the Carey line from SLU a few years back), and the other lines can't do jack, you're easy to beat. Doesn't matter how many players you dress.
                      Love to here your explanation as to WHY they’re the #1 line? And Notre Dame didn’t match them up like they saw them that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Noresmen View Post
                        Love to here your explanation as to WHY they’re the #1 line? And Notre Dame didn’t match them up like they saw them that way.
                        I would agree that they are our top line at the moment. The question is can they play like they are our top line. Hopefully, we will find out against Brown and Yale.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Because it is the line of forwards that has produced the most in the past two months worth of games. Show me a group that's done better, even if you replace just one on the line.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            Because it is the line of forwards that has produced the most in the past two months worth of games. Show me a group that's done better, even if you replace just one on the line.
                            So if I’m understanding you correctly because as individuals they’ve produced that by them being together as a line that makes them the #1 line. If that’s your thought process .... for me I don’t see it that way but one could understand your thought process. Lacka has 1 pt in 4 games. As does Hayhurst and I believe Lappenen may have 2 pts.

Time will tell with this upcoming games. I didn’t think that unit performed too well this weekend. But that’s just my opinion.

Comment

So if I’m understanding you correctly because as individuals they’ve produced that by them being together as a line that makes them the #1 line. If that’s your thought process .... for me I don’t see it that way but one could understand your thought process. Lacka has 1 pt in 4 games. As does Hayhurst and I believe Lappenen may have 2 pts.

Time will tell with this upcoming games. I didn’t think that unit performed too well this weekend. But that’s just my opinion.
                              The whole team didn't perform that well, at least based upon scoring. Let's give the line a few more games.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                The whole team didn't perform that well, at least based upon scoring. Let's give the line a few more games.
                                To be fair, it has had four games. Remember that Lacka came back from injury. Of course, prior to that, we weren't doing so hot, either.

Comment

Working...
                                X