Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Forward unit has the talent but not the consistent effort.
    D maybe has the effort but unfortunately not the talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      As bad as the D core supposedly is the forwards are not getting it done.
      This sums it up perfectly. But if the entire team can somehow replicate the way they played this past Saturday night - for the rest of the season, not just for the next game - there is reason to be more optimistic. That's a big IF, however.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

This is pretty simply stuff guys... getting out shot and out chanced every game is a function of shots for and shots against. This team is tenth worst in the nation in terms of even strength shots against, that's primarily a function of the terrible break out, turnovers, horrible puck retrieval from slow Dmen, Clayton Phillips flailing around like Kris Russell, etc. You can basically just watch what happens every time the oppositions enters our D zone, they either give the other team a ten foot cushion to carry the puck in with ease or when the other team dumps it in often they get beat in the foot race. When they do win the foot race they handle it like a live hand grenade and throw it up the boards straight to the other team. Last game was actually a step in the right direction as they seemed to exit the zone with speed more often and stretch the ice via stretch passes more often than I've seen in a while but I think part of that is due to PSU not being a strong defensive team and their forecheck not being as effective on big ice.

In terms of even strength shots for they're 31st, mediocre. So they certainly deserve some of the blame for being out shot (and to be fair Dmen are allowed to take shots, pinch, carry the puck into the zone cleanly, and contribute offensively, ours just aren't capable of doing that consistently) but certainly not the lions share.
        Last edited by trixR4kids; 01-09-2019, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
          This is pretty simply stuff guys... getting out shot and out chanced every game is a function of shots for and shots against. This team is tenth worst in the nation in terms of even strength shots against, that's primarily a function of the terrible break out, turnovers, horrible puck retrieval from slow Dmen, Clayton Phillips flailing around like Kris Russell, etc. You can basically just watch what happens every time the oppositions enters our D zone, they either give the other team a ten foot cushion to carry the puck in with ease or when the other team dumps it in often they get beat in the foot race. When they do win the foot race they handle it like a live hand grenade and throw it up the boards straight to the other team. Last game was actually a step in the right direction as they seemed to exit the zone with speed more often and stretch the ice via stretch passes more often than I've seen in a while but I think part of that is due to PSU not being a strong defensive team and their forecheck not being as effective on big ice.

In terms of even strength shots for they're 31st, mediocre. So they certainly deserve some of the blame for being out shot (and to be fair Dmen are allowed to take shots, pinch, carry the puck into the zone cleanly, and contribute offensively, ours just aren't capable of doing that consistently) but certainly not the lions share.
          I tend to agree with you Trix on what's happening in front either Robson or Schierhorn. Gap control does not apply to your own zone!! 1) Too much space for teams to setup in our own zone, 2) Don't play the walls if there's no one there, 3) Win more puck battles, 4) How about hitting some guys... like hard and skating them off the puck.

Featured USCHO article on the Gophers showing improvement --> ARTICLE.

Comment

This is pretty simply stuff guys...
            Yeah which my post clearly spelled out for you. To add only 4 players are averaging > 0.5 PPG and the team GAA is 2.63 while they are only averaging 4 less shots/game. They are 32nd in GPG scored, 25th in GPG allowed. I already noted what part the D plays in generating offense but giving up goals is not their primary problem.
            Last edited by Slap Shot; 01-09-2019, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Yeah which my post clearly spelled out for you.
              Yeah and my post very clearly spelled out why you're wrong.
              To add only 4 players are averaging > 0.5 PPG and the team GAA is 2.63 while they are only averaging 4 less shots/game. They are 32nd in GPG scored, 25th in GPG allowed. I already noted what part the D plays in generating offense but giving up goals is not their primary problem.
              You're basically crediting the D for what Robson is doing.

Comment

Yeah and my post very clearly spelled out why you're wrong.
                Only in your head. 32nd offense, 25th defense, better PK than PP and nearly identical SPG allowed vs taken. They need to score more. Thanks for playing.

Comment

So the 32nd ranked offense is mediocre like I said, the goaltending is really good hence the high save % and low goals against totals, and bottom ten in shots against would indicate that the D isn't very good at their job of suppressing shots and moving the puck in the other direction. But please tell us more about how the defense deserves credit for what Robson is doing.

Comment

They're averaging only 4 less shots on goal per game then they are giving up and have higher rated defense and PK than offense and PP - disparities that are greater than the 4 shots per game. So please tell us how the defense is at fault for their lack of scoring.

Seriously quit while you are behind.

Comment

Yeah... and that's good for tenth worst in the nation in terms of shots against at even strength per game. Not ideal.

And again you still haven't addressed the fact that Robson is largely responsible for them being "above average defensively" because when you actually parse out what they're responsible for, shot suppression, they aren't very good at it. That's not even getting into the fact that they contribute nothing offensively to the point that Motzko literally rolls with five fowards on the PP.

Comment

Ignoring effort, if you think the defensive unit is more talented than the forward unit you need to get your eyes checked. The D unit takes more blame, but the forwards get a lot because of their inconsistent effort which is a trademark in recent years.

Brutal D unit gets 60% of the blame
                        Forwards get 50% of the blame
                        Robson gets -10% of the blame

Comment

The forwards deserve plenty of blame too, I have no issue with giving them their fair share of grief as they're quite mediocre. There's a reason (effort and buying into what Motzko is telling them most likely) that the best most consistent line is the all freshmen line, despite having a guy like Burke who doesn't have near the pedigree of many other guys on the roster. Pitlick didn't play much center at this level until this year so there was going to be some growing pains there. I think Gates is an alright passer and playmaker but he's slow, has an average shot, and doesn't forecheck very hard. Sheehy is largely the same except he's a mediocre passer/has a better shot. We all know how I feel about the fourth line though with Romanko out it might actually improve. Novak is one of the few centers drawing near even in shots/for against but he isn't contributing much offensively (zero goals :facepalm: ).
                          Last edited by trixR4kids; 01-09-2019, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Yeah... and that's good for tenth worst in the nation in terms of shots against at even strength per game. Not ideal.
                            They're 13th overall in SATA Even Strength but only 20th in SOG Even Strength. Someone is blocking those shots. Also it's not just the job of the 2 defenders to get the puck out of their own zone.

And again you still haven't addressed the fact that Robson...
                            Because it's irrelevant to their futile offense. The fact is they are terrible at putting pucks in the net and with their current GAA should have far more wins than they do. I also remind you they have a better PK than PP, they're 35th in FO% and 22nd in Sh% and with being 13th in SV% they should be winning more games. Whatever you're dug in on an unenviable position and aren't going to budge so have fun.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                              They're 13th overall in SATA Even Strength but only 20th in SOG Even Strength. Someone is blocking those shots. Also it's not just the job of the 2 defenders to get the puck out of their own zone.
                              I don’t disagree that the blocked shots are an issue but guess which of the two groups is getting more of their shots blocked...

And I agree it’s not only on the D to break the puck out but that’s clearly where it’s stalling out more often than not. They throw away way too many pucks up the boards, icing it, we’ve all noticed Sadek’s turnovers etc. The breakout generally starts with them because they’re responsible for the puck retrieval and the first pass to start the breakout, two things they aren’t good at.

Because it's irrelevant to their futile offense.
                              We can still analyze the two separately and compare, i promise you it’s possible.

The fact is they are terrible at putting pucks in the net and with their current GAA should have far more wins than they do. I also remind you they have a better PK than PP, they're 35th in FO% and 22nd in Sh% and with being 13th in SV% they should be winning more games. Whatever you're dug in on an unenviable position and aren't going to budge so have fun.
                              Ok but then why did Motzko move all of the D off the PP? Because he really wants to lose games? Or because they contribute nothing offensively?

And I agree that the offense should be better (even if you think the D bare no responsibility in creating offense which is dubious) but the only reason the D looks good in any of the goal based defensive metrics you cited (and barring the fact that you attribute the PK solely to the D and not the forwards) is because of Robson bailing them out. There’s a reason nobody measures Dmen by goals against/sv%, its statistically unrepeatable. The shot rates on the other hand are and they’re terrible at it.

And faceoff% doesn’t really have much impact on winning games, 35th is pretty average so that’s not really a concern.
                              Last edited by trixR4kids; 01-09-2019, 04:23 PM.

Comment

No one said the d is not culpable on either end of the ice. But the FACT is the lack of scoring is the biggest detriment to their current WL and debating it even further is a waste of time and facts.

Comment

Working...
                                X