Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
    Yeah, puck possession time for the Gophers this season is down. Koho had a good comment about the forecheck. I'd like to see the Gophers switch to a 2-1-2 Strong Side support which generates a lot more possession time than the 1-2-2. The WJ USA team puts on a clinic using that system with their speed game. The aggressive style the USA showed against Russia reminded me of old-time Gopher hockey.

EDIT:

Which makes it a lot tougher to decide, do I watch the USA vs FIN Gold metal game or the Gophers? I'm suppose I'll try to do both.
    I suspect they don't trust the D enough to commit the extra man deep. I would think as Bob gets his players into the program we will see them get more and more aggressive.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
    Twenty red lights in his honor
    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

• Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
      I suspect they don't trust the D enough to commit the extra man deep. I would think as Bob gets his players into the program we will see them get more and more aggressive.
      Who is this?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        Who is this?
        The ghost of USCHO past.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
          Right. Looks like Ben Brinkman might work in that role too. We've got one D coming in next season from Edina, Jake Boltman who doesn't have an offensive side. GOPHER DEPTH CHART

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveO View Post
            Right. Looks like Ben Brinkman might work in that role too. We've got one D coming in next season from Edina, Jake Boltman who doesn't have an offensive side. GOPHER DEPTH CHART
            He is in 11th grade.

Comment

anyone know why the game started so late last night?
              I mean - if you want the folks on the East Coast to watch Big10 hockey, why is the game starting at 9PM EST?

Comment

• Originally posted by directmagna View Post
                I mean - if you want the folks on the East Coast to watch Big10 hockey, why is the game starting at 9PM EST?
                There was probably something on before. Was at the game so I don't know.

Comment

SteveO was right, the Gophers were much more aggressive on the forecheck tonight, often sending in two, and it resulted in more zone time. Good call, sir!

Originally posted by directmagna View Post
                  It was on ESPN-U and they carried the always critical UI-Chicago - IUPU-I game at 6.

Comment

Just an idea -
                    we all know it's fun to have a special game at a special place -- ie: Stadium Series or special rivalry holiday tournaments --

Has anyone proposed playing a weekend series in Ridder Arena instead of Mariucci? Think of how electric the atmosphere with the crowd packed into that small arena and seeing college hockey on an NHL rink!

Comment

Just an idea -
                      we all know it's fun to have a special game at a special place -- ie: Stadium Series or special rivalry holiday tournaments --

Has anyone proposed playing a weekend series in Ridder Arena instead of Mariucci? Think of how electric the atmosphere with the crowd packed into that small arena and seeing college hockey on an NHL rink!
                      Gotta love out-of-the-box thinking, and this one certainly qualifies!

Trouble is, your AD would want to charge $300 per ticket to "make the numbers work." People that well funded tend to be the least vocal at the games, if they attend at all.

I get where you're coming from. The current attendance/atmosphere problems at Mariucci were initially shocking to me. Yes, I realize it's complicated by the fact that many hard core fans still can't accept the B1G Hockey Conference. But in the end, it's actually pretty simple. Set prices far in excess of market value, and attendance will soon suffer. With the required donations now in force at Mariucci, that is the case. Bring ticket prices back in line with the market, and Mariucci will rock again.

Comment

SteveO was right, the Gophers were much more aggressive on the forecheck tonight, often sending in two, and it resulted in more zone time. Good call, sir!
                        Overall, this seemed like the most complete game they had played effort-wise and I feel like the team that played better won, not just the best goalie. Hopefully this is a trend, and not like last year where one game they looked like they could play with anyone and the next looked like they didn't deserve to be on the ice with anyone.

PSU was obviously missing a couple players, but they are a decent team and the Gophs played well with them. So I still hold to my contention that this team's play this year is more a matter of the effort they have given than that they their talent level is so low. The talent at the D level is lacking, but forwards and G are still strong and if the players continue to work on consistent effort the second half the season might be less frustrating than the first.

Comment

It was on ESPN-U and they carried the always critical UI-Chicago - IUPU-I game at 6.
                          Enjoyed Greyeagle's fine quip.

But there is some value to creating double-headers, at least from an Eastern Time Zone perspective. Columbus certainly isn't on the East Coast, but Ohio & most of Michigan are on Eastern time. Back on Friday, the schedule allowed me to watch the Buckeye game at 7:00PM, then most of the MN/PSU afterwards.

Do BTN & ESPN coordinate at all? Or was the schedule just a coincidence? Don't know. But obviously the BTN makes some effort to create doubleheaders when both games are on BTN.

Now if the in-house fans find an 8:00PM start to be a hardship, then my viewing convenience shouldn't matter. But if you go back far enough in history -- say the early '70s -- an 8:00PM start for a hockey game was considered perfectly reasonable.

Welcome to the board, directmagna.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post

Which makes it a lot tougher to decide, do I watch the USA vs FIN Gold metal game or the Gophers? I'm suppose I'll try to do both.
                            Hope you went the route I did and watched Team USA first and a recorded Gophs. First, ends the night better. Second, they mentioned the Juniors score during the Gopher game so would have taken some mystery away. But mainly, after seeing a goal taken away from USA when a player was briefly in the crease (after the puck entered) then was tackled and fell out of the crease before the goal was scored by a different player, only later to have Finland score the winner with a guy with his foot in the crease, was too frustrating of a way to end the night. Instead, after USA I went to the second half the Wild game and watched them come back, then went to the Gopher game. A split with a Saturday win always feels a little better than a Friday win.

Comment

Seriously, did you get lost and come here instead of GPL? Been awhile.

And we actually got a new poster too?????? Attendance is up about 25% here.

Comment

Just an idea -

I can’t tell if this is serious or not.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X