Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
    We're ranked 25th in the nation and need to get down to like 13. It might be mathematically possible to move up with a bunch of splits vs top teams and a bunch of other things happening but that's a lot of ground to make up via splits (not to mention they'd actually need to do that which is asking a lot of this squad).
    Don't get me wrong Trix, there's no easy road ahead. But it's hockey, stranger things have happened. There are some positive takeaways in recent weeks.

Since the OT loss to St. Lawrence when we dropped out of the Top 20, we're 4-2-3 (.611). The Gophers have outscored opponents during that period 29-21. They showed some "come from behind" ability against B1G teams like #5 OSU twice and Michigan for Ts; and Wisconsin for a W.

At the very least, splits against Penn St., Notre Dame and Michigan St is doable. After that they match up well with Michigan and Wisconsin at home. I'd venture to say they could even sweep one of those two at home.

I think the key moving forward is playing smarter and harder on both sides of the puck. After a bumpy road this season, an NCAA appearance it would be a great accomplishment for Motzko and this team.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
      After a bumpy road this season, an NCAA appearance it would be a great accomplishment for Motzko and this team.
      It would, but would we go anywhere? I don't think so. Sucks to say, but it's truth. We don't have "it" this year. Games like Sat's game shows that. That wasn't a one-time thing. We've seen it on a consistent basis all season (and I dare say the past few seasons). It's time to reboot, which I think will happen starting next season.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
        It would, but would we go anywhere? I don't think so. Sucks to say, but it's truth. We don't have "it" this year. Games like Sat's game shows that. That wasn't a one-time thing. We've seen it on a consistent basis all season (and I dare say the past few seasons). It's time to reboot, which I think will happen starting next season.
        If they get into a regional, I'm pretty sure tRube will be tapping a few exotic brews and cheering them on. So be it.

Comment

Don't get me wrong Trix, there's no easy road ahead. But it's hockey, stranger things have happened. There are some positive takeaways in recent weeks.

Since the OT loss to St. Lawrence when we dropped out of the Top 20, we're 4-2-3 (.611). The Gophers have outscored opponents during that period 29-21. They showed some "come from behind" ability against B1G teams like #5 OSU twice and Michigan for Ts; and Wisconsin for a W.
          They also got horribly outshot and outplayed by every good opponent they faced, they were incredibly lucky to tie OSU/Michigan as many times as they did much less win vs Michigan. And then they split with bottom 20 teams multiple times.

It's not impossible that they figure it out at some point but I don't think Bob can teach the blue line how to handle the puck like it isn't a hand grenade or the forwards how to skate faster etc. This team is just lacking in so many key areas and basically rely on Robson to be perfect anytime they play a good team.

Comment

Gophers PWR forecast based upon Jan. 4-5 Penn St series outcomes:

Penn St: SWEEP = Gophers fall to 28th
            Penn St: W/T = Gophers stay at 25th
            Penn St: W/L = Gophers move up to 24th
            Penn St: L/T = Gophers move up to 21st
            Penn St: T/T = Gophers move up to 24
            Penn St: L/L = Gophers move up to 19th

Comment

If they get into a regional, I'm pretty sure tRube will be tapping a few exotic brews and cheering them on. So be it.
              Oh, I'm still cheering them on, but I don't have any expectations.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Dare say? 2015-16 - 2018-19 have all been not great teams. They used to have flashes of good in 15-16 and 16-17, but this season and last the truth is most of the roster just sucks.

Comment

That's where I'm at also. Between Saturday's defeat and the Vikings' debacle yesterday it has not been a great weekend.
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

The 16-17 squad was solid enough to get a #1 seed IIRC and if that team had Robson who knows how it plays out. That said it had a lot of the same flaws as other Gopher teams, namely the bottom 2 lines being completely worthless (post Novak knee injury) and Lindgren being hurt meant Glover was now in.

That said the team had holes and nothing that was coming in was going to immediately fix them not to mention CM wasn't going to replace all of Kloos production as a freshman.

Comment

They were solid. But most of us knew they were not a great team. They limped into the NCAA 3-3-1 in their last seven.

14-15 was the last great team of the Lucia Era that ended with what had become a characteristic disappointing NCAA showing.

Comment

Comment

Second Page? Seriously? Are we that down on the program?

Comment

Well this team isn't really first page material lol

Comment

And Pedo State fans prefer Backpage...wait....

Comment

My odds for the weekend, based on what I've observed to date.

Gophers sweep: 10%
                                Series split: 35%
                                Penn State sweeps: 55%
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X