Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

What's frustrating is how badly the Gophers are getting outplayed for very long stretches at a time. I would like to see how many minutes were played this weekend in all three zones, like field position in football. I would hazard to guess 10% offensive, 15% neutral, and 75% defensive. The team continues to struggle breaking out of their own zone.

I'd also like to see how many true Grade A chances there were for each team this weekend. We were very fortunate on many occasions that the Buckeyes missed wide open opportunities which they should have capitalized on, and some others where they got an unlucky bounce at the last second, with plenty of open net available.

And the score would have been even more one-sided if it were not for the absolutely superlative goaltending by Mat Robson. He gives the Gophers a chance to pull wins out in games they really have no business being in. Definitely their most valuable player so far this season, and it's not even close.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Reading some of the comments on here you'd think OSU was on equal footing with the Gophers in talent and skill. OSU was clearly the better team in this series. They move the puck well with pace, cycle high not low like the Gophers, consistently converge on the net rather than dump and chase, their D boxes out well between the dots and they're getting good goaltending from both goalies.

I thought the Gophers looked energized for the series and had "some" very good chances to score in close but couldn't convert, as did the Buckeyes. The game saving stop by a Romeo on Pitlick's backhand in the first OT Friday was spectacular. The Gophers were crashing the net more in this series than what I've seen in the past when they were content to fire into a crowd from the high slot or blueline. But clearly they continue with struggle to be a pass or two short short of completing the play and getting more of those "close in" shots on net.

Robson made some very good saves. But for the second time in recent OTs, he's struggled with lateral movement to cover the post for the GWG.

Given their inconsistencies on offense and defense against a very good OSU team, it wasn't hard to imagine a series sweep by the Buckeyes. But despite their glaring weaknesses they came from behind in both games to tie it up against the #5 ranked team and #1 in the B1G. From my experience when a team starts to "come from behind" to tie or win, that's shows resiliency and mental toughness.

There were some positive improvements for the Gophers to build on from this weekend. When tDon took the helm from tWooger, he had a similar result in transition. The 1999-2000 team needed an entire first half to show significant improvement. This team is a similar work in progress with an identical W% after 13 games (.423).

Comment

While I do believe this is likely a more talented Buckeye team, player for player, than MN, I don't believe that they are as much better as they appeared. The point is, with the individual skill of MN players, they should be capable of playing a closer game with a team like this and not have it be about the goalie giving them a chance in games in which they are badly outshot. It is all about the effort and getting every player on the same page. Starting n their own end, Ohio State would often complete 5-8 passed in a row without a MN player coming close to disrupting the string, yet you rarely saw this from MN, hence the discrepancy in shots. MN players are not so untalented they are incapable of making those plays, they just aren't all playing at the same pace. When this happens, it is hard to click. OSU seemed to understand the importance of taking away time and space, while at times, MN players looked like coaches had never even mentioned the concept. Multiple times in the game, while defending their end, they set up in a tight box around the net and put very little pressure on OSU unless the puck moved to the front. It was like OSU was on a powerplay with 5 on 5 at these times. This team has the skating ability to put more pressure on puck-handlers and open players. It takes buy-in from the whole unit on the ice, because if one pressures and gets beat, the rest need to be there providing support. And in this set-up, it not only affects your defense, but also how a team generates offense. With all your players deep in your own zone and close to each other, when you get a turn-over, springing players out of the zone is difficult, hence the number of times they seem to just dump it out to get a clear.

I don't know if they are being coached to set up a tight box in front of the net because of less faith in the defensemen 1 on 1, or if the players fall into that out of lack of confidence, but in my mind, it is not a good formula for long-term success. The way to beat a team with more talent is to outwork them. And if you outwork the teams with less talent, you almost always win. They did seem to improve their effort on the forecheck at times this weekend, but it needs to be done everywhere on the ice. Gets much harder for an opponent to put together a string of 6 passes when players have a fraction of the time to make each pass.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
          Reading some of the comments on here you'd think OSU was on equal footing with the Gophers in talent and skill. OSU was clearly the better team in this series. They move the puck well with pace, cycle high not low like the Gophers, consistently converge on the net rather than dump and chase, their D boxes out well between the dots and they're getting good goaltending from both goalies.

I thought the Gophers looked energized for the series and had "some" very good chances to score in close but couldn't convert, as did the Buckeyes. The game saving stop by a Romeo on Pitlick's backhand in the first OT Friday was spectacular. The Gophers were crashing the net more in this series than what I've seen in the past when they were content to fire into a crowd from the high slot or blueline. But clearly they continue with struggle to be a pass or two short short of completing the play and getting more of those "close in" shots on net.

Robson made some very good saves. But for the second time in recent OTs, he's struggled with lateral movement to cover the post for the GWG.

Given their inconsistencies on offense and defense against a very good OSU team, it wasn't hard to imagine a series sweep by the Buckeyes. But despite their glaring weaknesses they came from behind in both games to tie it up against the #5 ranked team and #1 in the B1G. From my experience when a team starts to "come from behind" to tie or win, that's shows resiliency and mental toughness.

There were some positive improvements for the Gophers to build on from this weekend. When tDon took the helm from tWooger, he had a similar result in transition. The 1999-2000 team needed an entire first half to show significant improvement. This team is a similar work in progress with an identical W% after 13 games (.423).
          And part of the high level of frustration with this series for me is difficult to explain. A win this weekend would have helped ease a little the losses the last couple weeks to less talented teams. While it was clear the way they played, that OSU deserved a sweep, MN was in a position both nights to steal a game based on goaltending. And a win would have kept a glint of light at the end of the PWR tunnel. But both nights also ended after calls that were made on what appeared to be embellished falls by OSU players. (Last night, I can't see how that stick around the waist caused the feet to go out on the OSU player. Night before was a trip, but also embellishment.) Yes, there was something to call a penalty, but rarely are those called in an OT. And yes, the better team ended up winning without those calls being the only factor in why the Gophs lost, but it was very frustrating to end both games that way. It just seemed like the cherry on top of the disappointment sundae. (Oh yeah, not only did they lose them in OT (yeah, I know, one was a 'tie') , but both were after the Gophs actually staged come-backs when it looked like they were done!)

(EDIT: Just watched the recording of the Wild game from last night. Extending the loss streak to 3 games in a game they outplayed, outshot and outchanced their opponent, came from behind, then lost off a puck bounce off Seeler's stomach late in game was a nice way to cap the weekend of hockey. (Yes, I'm in Full Scooby Mode.) Not that I care about the Vikings as much, but fully prepared for a disappointing loss, if I watch.)
          Last edited by Koho; 12-02-2018, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
            And part of the high level of frustration with this series for me is difficult to explain. A win this weekend would have helped ease a little the losses the last couple weeks to less talented teams. While it was clear the way they played, that OSU deserved a sweep, MN was in a position both nights to steal a game based on goaltending. And a win would have kept a glint of light at the end of the PWR tunnel. But both nights also ended after calls that were made on what appeared to be embellished falls by OSU players. (Last night, I can't see how that stick around the waist caused the feet to go out on the OSU player. Night before was a trip, but also embellishment.) Yes, there was something to call a penalty, but rarely are those called in an OT. And yes, the better team ended up winning without those calls being the only factor in why the Gophs lost, but it was very frustrating to end both games that way. It just seemed like the cherry on top of the disappointment sundae. (Oh yeah, not only did they lose them in OT (yeah, I know, one was a 'tie') , but both were after the Gophs actually staged come-backs when it looked like they were done!)

(EDIT: Just watched the recording of the Wild game from last night. Extending the loss streak to 3 games in a game they outplayed, outshot and outchanced their opponent, came from behind, then lost off a puck bounce off Seeler's stomach late in game was a nice way to cap the weekend of hockey. (Yes, I'm in Full Scooby Mode.) Not that I care about the Vikings as much, but fully prepared for a disappointing loss, if I watch.)
            I'm not too worried about catching up on the PWR yet (25th/PWR, 23th/KRACH). With 4/6 B1G teams in the top 16 in the PWR and 80% of their second half opponents ranked in the top 20, Gophers can climb pretty fast if they put together a string of wins. Gophers SOS: RPI/6th, KRACH/6th

Agreed some of those were ticky-tack calls. But IMHO what we saw this weekend in the Buckeyes was a complete FF team. It would have been nice to get a W, but I think the Gophers did pretty well considering where they're at right now on the learning curve. OSU moves the puck so well...textbook hockey. Steve Rohlik deserves a lot of credit for building that program up from the cellar.

Gophers/Wolverines next week @ Yost should be interesting. Mich. 0-1-1 last weekend against Sparty.

Full Scooby mode??

Last edited by SteveO; 12-02-2018, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Full Scooby mode??
              In case anyone doesn't know, Scooby was a former poster here, still on GPL, who made me always feel like an optimist in comparison. For awhile, he gave a 'percent glass full' rating from week to week, based on the team's play. Pretty much would have required 3-4 consecutive undefeated seasons culminating in NC's for the glass to approach full.

Comment

• Originally posted by Koho View Post
                In case anyone doesn't know, Scooby was a former poster here, still on GPL, who made me always feel like an optimist in comparison. For awhile, he gave a 'percent glass full' rating from week to week, based on the team's play. Pretty much would have required 3-4 consecutive undefeated seasons culminating in NC's for the glass to approach full.
                “Former?”
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                  He still posts over on the cafe side of these forums, where when it comes to national affairs and politics he is just as much if not more of a pessimist

As for the games...the boys better be buying all of Robson's meals this week.

Comment

Scooby, in any subject, makes Eeyore look high on ecstasy. But no, he doesn't post on the D1 side anymore.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Agreed some of those were ticky-tack calls. But IMHO what we saw this weekend in the Buckeyes was a complete FF team. It would have been nice to get a W, but I think the Gophers did pretty well considering where they're at right now on the learning curve. OSU moves the puck so well...textbook hockey. Steve Rohlik deserves a lot of credit for building that program up from the cellar.
                      Good teams can overcome bad calls. That said, the soft call on Pitlick in the 2nd OT followed by a missed high sticking call that should have gone against tOSU almost literally led to the game winner.

Went to the Saturday game and sat on the blue line behind the Gophers bench. The Buckeyes' puck movement and passing, particularly in the neutral zone, was crazy to watch compared to the Gophers.
                      "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                        Went to the Saturday game and sat on the blue line behind the Gophers bench. The Buckeyes' puck movement and passing, particularly in the neutral zone, was crazy to watch compared to the Gophers.
                        Went to both games and Friday night was much the same, and I thought OSU's dominance was even more evident in the Gophers defensive zone. At one point I remarked to my daughter sitting next to me, "Men against boys". The difference between the two teams was that evident for long stretches of both games.

We were very very fortunate to come away with two "official" ties, and certainly would not have gotten any points over the weekend if Robson hadn't stood on his head. I'm worried about who our main goalie will be next season. Even if our team is improved the win/loss/tie record could actually end up being worse.

Comment

Not sure why they keep giving Novak so many minutes as well as sticking Ranta with him. It's obvious he's lost a step since injuries and now he's just forcing telegraphed passes to people who aren't open. I'm sure they're hoping for some type of resurgence but I'm not seeing it. And while Ranta has his own shortcomings as a playmaker, perhaps he could ideally be a useful albeit one dimensional player in the mean time (kinda like Sheehy) with a different center?

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                            Not sure why they keep giving Novak so many minutes as well as sticking Ranta with him. It's obvious he's lost a step since injuries and now he's just forcing telegraphed passes to people who aren't open. I'm sure they're hoping for some type of resurgence but I'm not seeing it. And while Ranta has his own shortcomings as a playmaker, perhaps he could ideally be a useful albeit one dimensional player in the mean time (kinda like Sheehy) with a different center?
                            I don't see Sheehy as a one dimensional player, but otherwise I agree with your observations. I'm sure Motzko will figure it out, at least to the extent the current lineup makes that possible.

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                              Good teams can overcome bad calls. That said, the soft call on Pitlick in the 2nd OT followed by a missed high sticking call that should have gone against tOSU almost literally led to the game winner.

(In response to SteveO and other comments about the difference in the two teams.) OSU is a better team, but given the talent this Gopher team should have, the difference between the two should not be as obvious as was displayed in those games. This team just isn't clicking. It wasn't completely about OSU preventing the Gophs from doing better. This might not be the most talented MN team, but Bentley isn't wearing maroon and Gold. The compete level should be higher from more than just the goalie.

Comment

I think I’m willing to acknowledge at this point that the talent disparity is that great. Our top line center is playing a position he has rarely played at this level up until now, our second best center is a freshman who for whatever reason keeps getting less minutes than a guy who hasn’t been the same post knee injury and somewhat of a liability at this point. Going into this year I knew the center depth would be an issue but I hoped Motzko could at least get the team to play a better brand of hockey. So far he’s either unable or the team is unwilling (the comments about effort from the coaches, etc.), it’s hard to say which honestly.

The one thing I’m willing to give Lucia a pass on (other than the fact that he recruited them and brought some in straight out of HS) last year is how bad the blue line truly is. I thought maybe a different coach could get them to at least try new things in the offensive zone (like actually try and make a forward miss with a shot fake and create some space, skate with the puck instead of standing like a statue in the corner) and if it failed so be it. So far that isn’t the case. I assume Motzko isn’t telling these guys to be so conservative in the offensive zone tbough maybe he feels he needs to out of necessity. The only guy willing to try things is Nanne and he constantly F’s up when he does but credit for actually trying unlike some of the others.
                                Last edited by trixR4kids; 12-04-2018, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X