Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Maybe the players are finally HEARING, not listening, to tBob.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Judging by their willingness to battle in front of Sparty's net, to get prime scoring opportunities from close range, I think you might be on to something, Brenthoven.

But before we overdue it and sing the praises too soon, let's see how much determination and energy the Gophs have left in the tank for tomorrow night. In conference they are not likely to have a better opportunity to earn a sweep.
      Last edited by D2D; 11-23-2018, 10:30 PM.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        I hated it when Bob took the job, but it's kinda sweet reading this.
        Originally posted by SJHovey
        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
        Originally posted by Brenthoven
        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

And tBob just might be HEARING not listening to them.

Despite the team only just having made it through the awkward feeling-out process of a new coach, Sheehy said it's clear how Motzko will bring a different vibe to the program. "He really wants to build relationships with players and get to know them," Sheehy said. "Other than just being a coach who's just a coach, [he's] being a coach who is interactive with his players and gets along with the guys, and he wants to be in the loop. "The guys are really going to respect him. They're going to listen and relay everything that he has to say to the ice … and just play hockey, which I think maybe has been missing."

Sheehy said that personality came across in just the few one-on-one meetings he's had with his coach so far.

"He's a really down-to-earth guy, easy to talk to," Sheehy said. "He's kind of made it clear to us that if there's something that's going on, or if he makes a mistake, and the guys are thinking it, he wants to know from us what he can do better. … He doesn't want it to be a dictatorship, which is kind of cool. I think part of his personality is just being a players' coach."
          A good coach also listens to the players and gains their trust and respect. Good coaching is not authoritarian, it's authoritive. There's a big difference between those two coaching styles.

HIGHLIGHTS
          Last edited by SteveO; 11-24-2018, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            Judging by their willingness to battle in front of Sparty's net, to get prime scoring opportunities from close range, I think you might be on to something, Brenthoven.

But before we overdue it and sing the praises too soon, let's see how much determination and energy the Gophs have left in the tank for tomorrow night. In conference they are not likely to have a better opportunity to earn a sweep.
            I don't think anyone is close to overdoing it. However, what we saw last night will happen more consistently as the season progresses. Coaching changes always require an ambiguous period of adjustment. Nevertheless, this team is beginning to show coherence and chemistry, and will surprise a lot people with their success this season.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
              And tBob just might be HEARING not listening to them.

A good coach also listens to the players and gains their trust and respect. Good coaching is not authoritarian, it's authoritive. There's a big difference between those two coaching styles.

HIGHLIGHTS
              Agreed. This team has talent, but can they adjust that talent to tBob's system/philosophy? Frankly, until last night, the answer was "no." Maybe last night was the turning point they needed. MSU is not a good team, but so far, neither are the Gophers. Hopefully everyone feeds off each other like last night, and this season can be turned around.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                I don't think anyone is close to overdoing it. However, what we saw last night will happen more consistently as the season progresses. Coaching changes always require an ambiguous period of adjustment. Nevertheless, this team is beginning to show coherence and chemistry, and will surprise a lot people with their success this season.
                I think you're overdoing it, SteveO. While one win over a bad team is encouraging, it's not enough to get me too excited. That said, I hope you end up being proven right with your optimistic forecast.

Comment

Wish I could say I'm shocked by this result :facepalm:

Comment

Agreed. This team has talent, but can they adjust that talent to tBob's system/philosophy? Frankly, until last night, the answer was "no." Maybe last night was the turning point they needed. MSU is not a good team, but so far, neither are the Gophers. Hopefully everyone feeds off each other like last night, and this season can be turned around.
                    /Trump WRONG

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                      I think you're overdoing it, SteveO. While one win over a bad team is encouraging, it's not enough to get me too excited. That said, I hope you end up being proven right with your optimistic forecast.
                      I can't say I was surprised by the Gophers' poor performance tonight. To ask for two solid games in a row is apparently asking too much.

Comment

Is ASU going to be joining the B1G

Comment

Time is running out to make a trip to the NCAA's a reasonable expectation. Can't keep splitting with bad teams at home. Pretty soon, they'll be in the position that they'll be needing to sweep teams away to have a shot (or win the B1G Tourney). This team seems as up and down as last year's.

And I don't like to single out players too much, but Sadek needs to learn how NOT to shoot into the shins of opposing players. He did it multiple times last night, including once near the end when the goalie was pulled and they had MSU pinned in their end.

Sheehy at least seems to be waking up and playing with more confidence.

The freshman line was good to watch.

Comment

I only ask because I'm wondering if ASU will be in the Big 10 with U of M

Comment

My personal prediction is yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                                My personal prediction is yes.
                                Although to the best of my knowledge there's been no discussion about the possibility of them joining the conference, in the near future or otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                                X