• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2018/2019 - Time For The Tigers to Roar <<<

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
    I'm sorry but this is laughable.
    Its all good Winters.

It may be laughable but no one here is ready to say that a team of NAHL and OJHL players on paper is better than a team of BCHL and USHL players.

I thought I was just stating what I thought was a fact based on what little I know about the junior leagues and studying the rosters of other D1 teams in Hockey East and the ECAC but I see not many here in RIT World will acknowledge that. So I admit that I'm wrong, I used too broad a brush when implying that the USHL and BCHL are the top leagues for NCAA hockey D1 colleges to recruit from.

Maybe what is really laughable is a Saturday night attendance at GPC of less than 1700. That's a problem that winning can definitely fix, hopefully we can all agree on that.
    RPI Engineers
    RIT Tigers
    ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
      Wait a second!!

Did you forget that the season before that time period the Tigers won their second consecutive league title? College classes last 4 years. Judging a program over 2 and half years is ridiculous. Many RIT fans are just spoiled by the unbelievable quick success they had. In effect any time there is a downturn there is a "Remy" size outburst.

Saying stuff like the number of USHL and BCHL recruits predict success is just not supported by the reality of the AHA, specifically the success Air Force has had (thanks your making me sound like Hockeyplayer82), and the number of high quality players in other leagues.

Given the logic here the Buffalo Sabres was the Best hockey franchise ever last month to the worst this month. Some just need to get a grip on reality. The Tigers have played their worst two weekends of the season and it is embarrassing. There is still an entire second half of hockey to play. This team that played and beat top talent and was off to the best start in the D-I era is down. They are not out and have time and the talent to turn this around. Will they I do not know. This is why I love college sports, with these young kids you never know how they will respond.
      Two and a half seasons is not equivalent to a month in the NHL. Give me a break. This senior group is exactly .500 over their entire careers in regular season Atlantic Hockey play (a couple games above water counting the playoffs thanks to the 4-0 run through the playoffs ), and that includes a 5 game head start when they were freshmen and older players were in the positions of leadership and playing major roles. And frankly, looking at that 2015-2016 roster, it's baffling that this class hasn't been able to build on the success of that first season. Counting playoffs, they're seven games under .500 over the past two and a half seasons against Atlantic Hockey competition. We're talking over 70 games over that span.

Another problem is that the only games I get to watch (and thus really, truly, evaluate with my eyes rather than relying on other people's senses and perceptions) are home games. This class is an atrocious 20-31-2 against conference opponents at home. That's, again, [i]plenty[i] of games to sit back and say that this has not been a good hockey team for a long chunk of time. I mean, we just got swept at home by Sacred Heart. That literally does not happen to good teams. Do you know the last time Sacred Heart beat any team that finished .500 or better in AHA play twice in their own building? I don't, because I gave up looking after I reached 2009-2010, back when Dan Ringwald was still patrolling the Ritter (and Sacred Heart made their only championship game appearance).

Again, you are what your record says you are. There's two ways to avoid losing in the first round of the Atlantic Hockey playoffs. (1)Be among the top 45% of the league (ie be a barely above average Atlantic Hockey team in the regular season), or (2)Win one playoff series against a below average Atlantic Hockey team.

The fact that this group has been able to fulfill neither of those two routes over the past two years is ****ing. Every other Atlantic Hockey team managed to fulfill one of those two requirements once over the last two full seasons. I'm not saying that they can't turn it around. That's the beauty of sports. Maybe they finally figure out how to play with a lead. Hopefully Drackett gets his mojo back and makes sure it's just a rough weekend for him and not a long term slip. Hopefully the top line gets it together, and some of the underclassman step up and start making plays. But based on the last 15 months worth of hockey I've seen on the ice over the last two and a half seasons covering 70 games, I'm not going to hold my breath.
      Last edited by jflory81; 12-09-2018, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
        Wait a second!!

Did you forget that the season before that time period the Tigers won their second consecutive league title? College classes last 4 years. Judging a program over 2 and half years is ridiculous. Many RIT fans are just spoiled by the unbelievable quick success they had. In effect any time there is a downturn there is a "Remy" size outburst.

Saying stuff like the number of USHL and BCHL recruits predict success is just not supported by the reality of the AHA, specifically the success Air Force has had (thanks your making me sound like Hockeyplayer82), and the number of high quality players in other leagues.

Given the logic here the Buffalo Sabres was the Best hockey franchise ever last month to the worst this month. Some just need to get a grip on reality. The Tigers have played their worst two weekends of the season and it is embarrassing. There is still an entire second half of hockey to play. This team that played and beat top talent and was off to the best start in the D-I era is down. They are not out and have time and the talent to turn this around. Will they I do not know. This is why I love college sports, with these young kids you never know how they will respond.

Tom, thank you for the shout out, appreciated. I thought you wrote you do not like to call anyone out?

Just curious, not coming at you in anyway. Where did you play hockey?

Comment

USHL and BCHL are the top leagues for high end talent. Top to bottom these two leagues are the strongest. Still does not mean you win with players from these leagues. All it means is you have talent on paper. Get a mix of talent and character from different leagues. Recruit from everywhere. Garbowsky was playing Jr B when he committed to RIT then went to the BCHL for example.....

Comment

And getting swept at home after getting swept at home the weekend before, giving up two third period leads, losing with 5 seconds in overtime after you call a time out, to Sacred Heart........ You are a team that is struggling all over. Defining weekend of the season....The only question I have is will the goalie carousel begin or go back with Drackett? Play Drackett until he is playing well again is my vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyplayer82 View Post
              USHL and BCHL are the top leagues for high end talent. Top to bottom these two leagues are the strongest. Still does not mean you win with players from these leagues. All it means is you have talent on paper. Get a mix of talent and character from different leagues. Recruit from everywhere. Garbowsky was playing Jr B when he committed to RIT then went to the BCHL for example.....
              Thank you, I'm with you, and that's all I'm saying, 'on paper' it appears that the other teams in Atlantic Hockey have been increasing the number of players on their rosters from these two top leagues while RIT's recruit numbers from the BCL and the USHL has seemed to decline. I asked a serious question as to whether anyone thinks that is by design or that RIT is having a tougher time recruiting from these leagues as some of the other Atlantic teams have seen improvements both in their programs and scholarship numbers. You provided the first salient response. Thanks, I just would want to see more Grade "A" recruits, that's all, not disparaging the other leagues or their players or their rate of success in D1 hockey. When I look at a roster like Yale's I'm led to believe that schools like Yale almost exclusively recruit from those two leagues, not a bad recipe for success, if, like you said, they can gel. I also find it interesting as to what AIC has been doing, if you look at their roster they have quite the contingent from Europe, like they opened some channel into the kids coming over and playing in juniors. Interesting recruiting strategy that may pay dividends for them.

BTW I hope Matt is enjoying Europe, he had a terrific run with the Colorado Eagles. Hope he's making some good money and seeing the world.
              RPI Engineers
              RIT Tigers
              ARMY Black Knights

Comment

And getting swept at home after getting swept at home the weekend before, giving up two third period leads, losing with 5 seconds in overtime after you call a time out, to Sacred Heart........ You are a team that is struggling all over. Defining weekend of the season....The only question I have is will the goalie carousel begin or go back with Drackett? Play Drackett until he is playing well again is my vote.
                I vote to stay with Drackett as well.
                RPI Engineers
                RIT Tigers
                ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Tom, thank you for the shout out, appreciated. I thought you wrote you do not like to call anyone out?

Just curious, not coming at you in anyway. Where did you play hockey?
                  And how was your recruiting process when you played? How many players have you moved on to Juniors and College hockey? Again, just curious, I am fairly new to the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
                    Hopefully Drackett gets his mojo back and makes sure it's just a rough weekend for him and not a long term slip.
                    I think it was less of a rough weekend for Drackett than it was a rough weekend of flukes and bad plays. On Friday, one goal came in off a hard bounce off the back boards and off his leg and the OT goal popped high and went off his back on a rush that never should have happened. On Saturday, the blueliners on the power play made lazy passes that led to two shorthanded breakaways, and a bad giveaway in the slot led to another.
                    Last edited by Ed Trefzger; 12-09-2018, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                      I think it was less of a rough weekend for Drackett than it was a rough weekend of flukes and bad plays. On Friday, one goal came in off a hard bounce off the back boards and off his leg and the OT goal popped high and went off his back on a rush that never should have happened. On Saturday, the blueliners on the power play made lazy passes that led to two shorthanded breakaways, and a bad giveaway in the slot led to another.
                      I don't blame Drackett for the losses by any means, but he's made similar type saves to bail his defense out earlier in the season (particularly in the Friday night win over AIC). Obviously I can't speak to the road games, but at home he's had to come up with more odd man rush/breakaway saves than he should in just about every game they've played (with the possible exception of the Canisius game) - when he plays outstanding, they can win despite the mistakes, but if he's a notch below that, they're going to struggle to win games with the mistakes that are being made on the back end and the rushes he's been facing.

I'll just copy what I said on 11/18 after the win over Canisius: "To speak to the comments above, yes, the defense is better than last year, possibly significantly so, but that doesn't mean Drackett hasn't been miles better as well. There's been plenty of odd man rushes stopped by Drackett this year that felt like sure goals last year, and that includes a couple stops he's made that were not particularly well played by the defender. If he doesn't make those saves we might be sitting here thinking about how it's the same old defensive lapses that have been doing us in at home for what seems like forever now." This weekend, Drackett largely lost the one on one battles he was subjected to, and we're sitting here thinking how it's the same old lapses that have been doing us in at home for what seems like forever now.
                      Last edited by jflory81; 12-10-2018, 06:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                        I vote to stay with Drackett as well.
                        10 goals in two games....I vote no!
                        RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

• Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                          10 goals in two games....I vote no!
                          He has been hung out to dry far too many times during this losing streak Blaze. I haven’t looked after this weekend but he had the best save percentage in Atlantic Hockey for goalies with more than a game under their belt. If there is something fundamentally wrong then sure, but he hasn’t lost it yet IMO. For the OOC games sure let the other guys get a chance. If we drop the next three against Niagara well, then we’re singing a different tune when changing the goalie might spark the defense to pick up their game..
                          Last edited by Downstate_RIT_Fan; 12-10-2018, 09:57 PM.
                          RPI Engineers
                          RIT Tigers
                          ARMY Black Knights

Comment

I remain unconvinced that the team is simply less talented than it's Atlantic Hockey peers. I will again reference where all of you were in the comments a month ago discussing how this team was one of the better ones we've seen, noting that we had the most successful October in program history, and making any number of comments about defense being great, goaltending being great, Erik Brown being great, etc. I don't recall a peep in October or the first 3 weeks in November about how our skill level was below our peers or our recruiting was bad. Suddenly now a bunch of self-proclaimed experts who know how to export data into spreadsheets and use the sort-by function believe they have it all figured out. I'm sure coach will be on the phone looking for your input any day now, folks.

They are skidding right now, but Wilson attributed it more to mental issues and a lack of confidence on the radio after Saturday. That seems to make more sense to me, as mental issues also explains our insane Friday game vs Saturday game splits. Lots of good teams across all of sports go through issues like this. It's not great, but it's not absolutely insane that we have lost 4 straight. If we win the next 4, then I suspect we'll all have forgotten about Sacred Heart.
                            RIT

Comment

• Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                              I remain unconvinced that the team is simply less talented than it's Atlantic Hockey peers. I will again reference where all of you were in the comments a month ago discussing how this team was one of the better ones we've seen, noting that we had the most successful October in program history, and making any number of comments about defense being great, goaltending being great, Erik Brown being great, etc. I don't recall a peep in October or the first 3 weeks in November about how our skill level was below our peers or our recruiting was bad. Suddenly now a bunch of self-proclaimed experts who know how to export data into spreadsheets and use the sort-by function believe they have it all figured out. I'm sure coach will be on the phone looking for your input any day now, folks.

They are skidding right now, but Wilson attributed it more to mental issues and a lack of confidence on the radio after Saturday. That seems to make more sense to me, as mental issues also explains our insane Friday game vs Saturday game splits. Lots of good teams across all of sports go through issues like this. It's not great, but it's not absolutely insane that we have lost 4 straight. If we win the next 4, then I suspect we'll all have forgotten about Sacred Heart.
                              Stay on topic Winters. No one is claiming to be self-proclaimed experts. Folks are posting about RIT’s current losing streak and as fans what they feel might be attributing to it. I said maybe they don’t stack up ‘on paper’ to the skill levels of the improving teams in Atlantic Hockey. And we’ve had a lively back and forth on that subject. You think it’s a mental issue. That could be part of it too.

But as RIT fans we don’t need to state our reasons why the team is struggling by knocking the opinions of other RIT fans.

I respect the opinions of all who post here and hope the Tigers can turn around their fortunes against Niagara.
                              RPI Engineers
                              RIT Tigers
                              ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                                I said maybe they don’t stack up ‘on paper’ to the skill levels of the improving teams in Atlantic Hockey.
                                And yet they did stack up 'on ice' during the first several weeks of the season, and kept up quite well with non-conference foes.

In other news, Myles Powell has been called up to Rochester in time for tomorrow's Amerks home game.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Working...
                                X