Tragic story about former MSU star/#1 overall draft pick Joe Murphy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tragic story about former MSU star/#1 overall draft pick Joe Murphy

Joe Murphy was the first college player ever selected #1 overall in the NHL draft. Murphy has hit hard times, as the TSN story linked below details

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-originals/vid...urph%7E1466368

Re: Tragic story about former MSU star/#1 overall draft pick Joe Murphy

Originally posted by samboni View Post
    Joe Murphy was the first college player ever selected #1 overall in the NHL draft. Murphy has hit hard times, as the TSN story linked below details

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-originals/vid...urph%7E1466368
    That is a pretty sad story.

As a North Dakota alum, I'm puzzled, though, at how Trevor Kidd came to be wearing a North Dakota Fighting Hawks baseball cap in the piece. No connection to UND that I'm aware of.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Wow. That was tough to watch.
      The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
      BC - 12
      BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        That is a pretty sad story.

As a North Dakota alum, I'm puzzled, though, at how Trevor Kidd came to be wearing a North Dakota Fighting Hawks baseball cap in the piece. No connection to UND that I'm aware of.
        His daughter, Kennedy Kidd, is a Senior on the ND Women's soccer team.
        Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Cross Check View Post
          Wow. That was tough to watch.
          I'll say it was, but it was well worth watching. Very well done.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I forget the guy's name who Murphy called asking for help...comes across like a huge dbag. And had no comment when he could have tried to stick up for himself.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              I forget the guy's name who Murphy called asking for help...comes across like a huge dbag. And had no comment when he could have tried to stick up for himself.
              I believe he said Dan Cronin.

You have to have enough common sense to realize he isn't thinking well. Seems a few fries short of a happy meal.

So you should pump brakes on calling out those he mentions did him wrong.

Then again, you probably would like your doctor client confidentiality revealed.
              Last edited by BlackI; 08-24-2018, 08:00 AM.

Comment

I haven't watched it, but will when I have some time. Do they say what happened to his money? I mean, he should have been set for life many times over, right?

Comment

Why would Dan Cronin have no comment if Murphy was lying? If someone made an accusation like that against me that was false, I would have a comment.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                    I haven't watched it, but will when I have some time. Do they say what happened to his money? I mean, he should have been set for life many times over, right?
                    He detailed how much money he made in his career...15 million maybe? In the one episode I saw, they didn't go into detail about how he lost all the money. But drugs was talked about so that was probably a huge part.

Comment

Murphy admits he was careless with his money, just like so many other athletes. After being attacked on the street in New York, he retired shortly thereafter. He was living in South and Central America for a number of years. He had troubles with drugs, alcohol and gambling.

The NHL refuses to accept the very real possibility/fact that concussions suffered by their players could lead directly to CTE. Whether or not Murphy has CTE won't be known until after he dies. A former MSU teammate of his on the 1986 National Championship team, Jeff Parker, who died in 2017 and played for maybe 4 seasons in the NHL, was found to have had CTE.

The hope is that Murphy will seek and accept the help that is hopefully coming his way from former players, perhaps the NHLPA, and good Samaritans (don't expect Gary Bettman's office to offer any assistance).

Comment

I'd bet on him having a bad case of CTE. Is Bettman seriously still denying the facts concerning CTE? Gonna set the league up for a big lawsuit from players.

Comment

I'd bet on him having a bad case of CTE. Is Bettman seriously still denying the facts concerning CTE? Gonna set the league up for a big lawsuit from players.
                          Oh there are already ongoing lawsuits. I know that Mike Peluso is involved in a lawsuit and this story reminds me of him in some ways. He has had so many brain injuries and he has a lot of seizures still. He'll never be "right".
                          Originally Posted by aparch
                          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

For sure. But the players are taking care of him. I am not happy about it either. I saw Paul Kariya get knocked unconsciense on a blind side hit on open ice by Stevens. There is no doubt that limited his career. But it is a rough sport and you have to know that. Every player knows this much. Paul knew it. Every guy knows it. Don't put training wheels on the game. When we grew up we didn't wear bicycle helmets. We drank from a garden hose. We didn't wear sunscreen. But we opened doors for elders. We also called people sir. If a women was struggling taking care of kids we helped her put groceries in her car. If there was a broken down car on side of road we helped that family out. Put the political train wheels on this country and you haven't "made America great", nor did you "yes we can", nor did you "change we need", and so forth...

Stop being so politically correct and realize they know the risks. And it isn't our job to police that. It is our job to vote in someone that has common sense. And we have done a **** job of that the last 20 years. Wanna remedy those slogans over past 20 years... vote people in that are smart and can be a difference maker and are not bought.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                              For sure. But the players are taking care of him. I am not happy about it either. I saw Paul Kariya get knocked unconsciense on a blind side hit on open ice by Stevens. There is no doubt that limited his career. But it is a rough sport and you have to know that. Every player knows this much. Paul knew it. Every guy knows it. Don't put training wheels on the game. When we grew up we didn't wear bicycle helmets. We drank from a garden hose. We didn't wear sunscreen. But we opened doors for elders. We also called people sir. If a women was struggling taking care of kids we helped her put groceries in her car. If there was a broken down car on side of road we helped that family out. Put the political train wheels on this country and you haven't "made America great", nor did you "yes we can", nor did you "change we need", and so forth...

Stop being so politically correct and realize they know the risks. And it isn't our job to police that. It is our job to vote in someone that has common sense. And we have done a **** job of that the last 20 years. Wanna remedy those slogans over past 20 years... vote people in that are smart and can be a difference maker and are not bought.
                              I'm not really sure how to respond to this post, so I'll just say this.

Yes, hockey is a contact sport. But the NHL needs to do a better job of, a) completely removing fighting, which is a clear contributor to CTE, b) completely remove hits to the head, which clearly causes CTE, and c) do a better job of helping out those retired players who are suffering from the disease as a direct result of their playing career. None of those steps will detract from the game one iota.

As fans of the game, it is our job to police it. We need to demand it of the league and the teams.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Working...
                              X