This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

It’s one thing to not honor a player’s verbal to another school, the gentlemen’s agreement is long since dead, etc.

But we’re seeing a lot of kids that don’t want to honor their commitment to UW, and it’s hard to blame them when TG/UW is increasingly refusing to honor their commitments to their own recruits.

It’s a situation that is going to lead to more Krygiers, more Boesers, Cruikshanks, and Rantas.

Is that a good thing?
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
      They aren't bringing in all the kids that have received offers and verbally committed. Unless we have 10 kids leave early, which isn't going to happen. That is a change. You call it what you want, but don't tell me that things haven't changed. Peltonen is one of many to come....
      With Aleksi finding a home, the remaining F's on the charts for next year are all eligible to play 1 or 2 more years of Juniors. (Like Mersch and Baker did.) The 2020 F's on the chart are eligible to play Juniors until 2022. (Except Helgeson -2021) Will some fall out? Probably. Almquist for example is struggling to play at the next level and has bounced down to Tier 2. If his ceiling turns out to be Tier 2 Juniors, do you think it's beneficial to him to come and be a practice player for 4 years at UW? Or would he be better served maybe going out to the Atlantic or playing D III where he can play a lot and enjoy the game? It's up to the kid I guess, but to my knowledge UW hasn't reneged on any commits under TG and there's no reason to believe they will in the future. They may not bring a player in during the year that player feels he should be brought in, or given the offer that player feels they deserve, but that is another matter and those kids will have to decide themselves if they want to continue to pursue being Badgers or look elsewhere under those conditions. If you are a committed star at 15 and really struggling at 18, UW isn't obligated to bring you in just because you're 18.

Leyh was probably ahead of everybody in the pecking order, but jumped to Q'pac citing too many F's ahead of him at UW. So UW is out Leyh, but sign Donovan, who is also ahead of everybody in the pecking order. The situation is the same for all the other recruits as it was before Leyh jumped. Possibly slightly better because Donovan may have a shorter Badger career.
      Originally posted by WiscTJK
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        It’s one thing to not honor a player’s verbal to another school, the gentlemen’s agreement is long since dead, etc.

But we’re seeing a lot of kids that don’t want to honor their commitment to UW, and it’s hard to blame them when TG/UW is increasingly refusing to honor their commitments to their own recruits.

It’s a situation that is going to lead to more Krygiers, more Boesers, Cruikshanks, and Rantas.

Is that a good thing?
        Can you cite some examples of TG refusing to honor commitments to his recruits?
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Is that a good thing?
          Letting the not so good kids know they probably won't be playing much... vs the superstars CHOOSING to go elsewhere. These are very different things and I don't see how turning away a guy that ends up struggling in the NAHL is going to make a star say, "I don't want to go there."

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
            Can you cite some examples of TG refusing to honor commitments to his recruits?
            That’s all behind closed doors.

But when we get a full recruiting class, and they keep adding more players…

The idea that we don’t have room for half of next years class is entirely a problem of TG’s own making. No one is forcing him to recruit 10 forwards in a class.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

The idea that we don’t have room for half of next years class is entirely a problem of TG’s own making. No one is forcing him to recruit 10 forwards in a class.
              I don't think there is ever a guarantee on entry year anyway. It sounds like many times players are told 2020 or 2021. I disagree with some of the entry years listed on the recruiting spreadsheet personally so I'm not sure how you can really determine when someone is "deferred".

In other news, looks like TJ Koufis is now with the Brookings Blizzard in the NAHL and not the Madison Capitols.

Comment

ESPN Mock Draft showing Turcotte going #10 to the Rangers and Caufield #17 to the Sabres.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/stor...ks-first-round
                Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

It's not a recruiting class until they are offered a NLI. When kids are coming is total speculation otherwise.

Assuming everyone comes back they will have 16 F's for '19. Zimmer will graduate and then they have 3 F's they would have to bring in in 2020 because their junior eligibility will be pretty much used up. De St Phalle, Almquist, Bohlin. Almquist and Bohlin may or may not fall out of their own accord as they are struggling right now. De St Phalle may or may not get impatient and jump as he will be pursued by other schools, but at this point I'd think he's the next guy in for Zimmer. Turcotte and perhaps more could conceivably be one and done. So they may have room to add for 2020. If not, in 2021 they could need 8 or more F's, which is close to the number they'd likely have available then. There are not 10 guys that will just be booted. Not even close.

An offer to a 16 year old is not a guarantee. The kid can't just quit practicing, play Fortnite 14 hours a day and still get a hockey scholarship at 18. They have to continue to develop on their own and show they can play D1. Some guys in the pipeline are struggling to do so and need more time at the least.

People all screamed that Eaves should have had a plan in place to replace the ridiculous number of departures they suffered in the years post 2010. Ok. But this staff is trying to plan for departures with mature kids in the pipeline and people are still upset.
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                    ESPN Mock Draft showing Turcotte going #10 to the Rangers and Caufield #17 to the Sabres.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/stor...ks-first-round
                    That would be a really good scenario for us, I think. I just hope Turcotte falls to a team like that, rather than a struggling cash strapped franchise that needs an immediate marketing boost.
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post

In other news, looks like TJ Koufis is now with the Brookings Blizzard in the NAHL and not the Madison Capitols.
                      Almquist, Bohlin, Koufis and Helgeson all have a lot of work to do in order to play B1G hockey.
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                        People all screamed that Eaves should have had a plan in place to replace the ridiculous number of departures they suffered in the years post 2010. Ok. But this staff is trying to plan for departures with mature kids in the pipeline and people are still upset.
                        TG said he's going after elite players. When they are ready to leave, they should leave, they will just replace them. The big question is who are the elite players coming after this bunch? It's a little concerning that Almquist, Bohlin, Koufis and Helgeson aren't developing very quickly.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Imagine the narrative on recruiting if UW was the in the hunt for the B7 title and maybe a ncaa bid.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            TG said he's going after elite players. When they are ready to leave, they should leave, they will just replace them. The big question is who are the elite players coming after this bunch? It's a little concerning that Almquist, Bohlin, Koufis and Helgeson aren't developing very quickly.
                            It is concerning, but they all have skills and may just take a little longer to develop. Or some may be misses. It is really hard to consistently pick a 15 year old that is a sure fire star at 19 so it happens. Look how many misses the NHL has in the draft with all their resources and the advantage of picking more mature kids.

I think they are going hard after Bordeleau and have some shot at landing him, although it's possible he plays in the QMJHL like his Dad and his NHL-playing family. Right now Latsch, Levandowski, and Caden Brown, (who's brother, Logan, was the #11 overall pick a couple years ago) all look really good. Pierre and Mann could turn into super stars, or peak early, we'll just have to wait and see. On the D side, Padliochuk, Kehrer, and Laatsch all look like stars. Gino Cavalinni is sky high on Daul, and Ceulemans has logged some games with the Brooks Bandits as just a 15 year old, which is kind of crazy, especially considering how good Brooks is.

Recruiting is going to get a bit easier for UW with the new rules coming I think, so I feel like the Badgers will be in fairly good shape going forward.
                            Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 02-22-2019, 09:24 AM.
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              Imagine the narrative on recruiting if UW was the in the hunt for the B7 title and maybe a ncaa bid.
                              I want to mock this since we are objectively the worst team in the Big Ten, but I thought about this later yesterday and: were still a pretty good team. Yes, we’re clearly lagging but overall the gap from first to worst in this conference is fairly small.

Comment

I want to mock this since we are objectively the worst team in the Big Ten, but I thought about this later yesterday and: were still a pretty good team. Yes, we’re clearly lagging but overall the gap from first to worst in this conference is fairly small.
                                Yeah, UW is special teams away from contending.

Comment

Working...
                                X