X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
    Is Leyh able to come next year? He is eligible for the NHL Draft. He is a guy you would sign. Could be that it's simply the 5 guys on the Central Scouting List assuming they are all coming in...Caufield, Turcotte, Lindmark, Leyh, Stange.
    Good question. Don't know for sure on Leyh. Todd has him as 2020 eligible. I think he's technically a junior in high school and one of those kids who turns 18 a week before the draft age cutoff. Presumably, as in today's world kids regularly get their college requirements done early, he possibly could make the jump next fall. Stange is actually a Senior this year so is eligible for sure, but man, I sure am not a big fan of bringing guys in to play straight out of WI HS on a regular basis. But maybe that's not an issue for some kids.

That would be 5 F's which would still leave us having to sort out the rest of the D for next year, which makes me pretty nervous.
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
      As much as he would have been a great get, I think we have our next #1 goalie lined up after Berry and Lebedeff in Grannan.

To be honest, I think goalie coach is a much bigger need at the moment.
      I'm glad Noah made the NTDP junior team. He's got a couple years of great coaching and competition, and will get to know some other Badgers. If not Berry or Lebedeff, maybe he'll put Goaltender University back on the map.

BUT yep....still must have an active goalie coach sometime. I saw Marc Behrend in Sun Prairie this past summer. (Very strange that I was wearing a new Winnipeg Jets cap.) Talked to him a little but the goalie coach situation had not come to light yet.

One east-sider to another, **** right I would have coerced him!
      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
        I miss his input. Once and a while I see him lurking in the threads.....
        I follow him on the Twitter machine.

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
          Good question. Don't know for sure on Leyh. Todd has him as 2020 eligible. I think he's technically a junior in high school and one of those kids who turns 18 a week before the draft age cutoff. Presumably, as in today's world kids regularly get their college requirements done early, he possibly could make the jump next fall. Stange is actually a Senior this year so is eligible for sure, but man, I sure am not a big fan of bringing guys in to play straight out of WI HS on a regular basis. But maybe that's not an issue for some kids.

That would be 5 F's which would still leave us having to sort out the rest of the D for next year, which makes me pretty nervous.
          With Jesper Peltonen already in the fold and current commitments I feel like UW has enough solid choices to fill the roster on D. 2020 is going to be a better year for defensemen for UW. I think whoever they feel like the top 5 guys are should sign LOI's regardless of position, and that could end up being all forwards next year. That would not potentially be the case many other seasons.
          Last edited by DPlaya; 10-25-2018, 10:38 AM.

Comment

In discussing possible incoming D, I forgot to add Patrick Keegan, who is playing in his last year at Cushing Academy. At 6'3" and 235 lbs. we're at least not waiting for him to grow up. I had heard a couple of excellent first hand reports on Keegan last year from a friend, and given the need to add D, maybe he is actually a favorite to join the Badgers next year. So maybe they add La Master and Keegan on D and then have Vorlicky or Smith in case of departures.

At F if you add Turcotte, Caufield, and Lindmark, that puts us at 13. 14 if Peltonen walks on. So probably one or two more. Go with the youth in Stange and Leyh? Go with De St. Phalle and maybe another WI/MN character kid like Almquist? Money is going to be an issue no matter how you slice it.

In a perfect world we'd early sign Turcotte, Lindmark, Caufield, York, and Jack Hughes. Done!
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
              With Jesper Peltonen already in the fold and current commitments I feel like UW has enough solid choices to fill the roster. 2020 is going to be a better year for defensemen for UW. I think whoever they feel like the top 5 guys are should sign LOI's regardless of position, and that could end up being all forwards next year. That would not potentially be the case many other seasons.
              Yeah, I think your right about signing the top 5 regardless of position. I think where I'm hung up is who are those beyond the NTDP guys? Lot's to choose from but they're almost all in need of another year of Juniors to sort out who they really are. So do you sign them quick, or wait to see how they develop? I mean Stange being on the CS list doesn't necessarily make him a better prospect than say De St Phalle for example. I think Helgeson and Vorlicky were on last years list, too. Heck, Dylan Holloway might be the best player in the whole pipeline. Can't we just get him a tutor or something and make like Doogie Howser for next year?!

Strobie flew back from Detroit to make the Wisconsin Hockey Hour the other night. I'd like to think Tony and staff were in MI putting the full court press on a couple guys. I do like to think that.
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

This Cole Caufield kid can PLAY! All I do is see highlights on Twitter of this kid making deposits. Turcotte was in the line-up, must be healthy. Too bad he was stuck on the first line. Mr Lindmark is no slouch either. Losing Frytag, Johnson, Zirbel & Malone. Next year is pretty exciting.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Grannon is injured, hopefully nothing serious.

Comment

Turcotte was out of the lineup today, one has to think possible injury/re-injury.

Oz has been retweeting about a player committed to St. Lawrence, Martin Pospisil.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                      Grannon is injured, hopefully nothing serious.
                      Looks like he got caught in traffic on the edge of the net

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                        Looks like he got caught in traffic on the edge of the net

Looks like an ankle to the head......concussion?

Comment

This Cole Caufield kid is making my tweeeter flame up.

Comment

I believe the early signing period opens Wednesday. Who will the Badgers sign? The suspense is killing me!

Somebody needs to check and make sure Dylan Holloway has all his ducks in a row for admissions next year. He's demolishing the AJHL with 16-20-36 in just 22gp so far. If he leads the league all year as a just-turned-17-year-old, I can't see him wanting to play Junior A again next year. So that would mean USHL, NCAA, or CHL is up next for him. If it's NCAA next year, it better be Wisconsin and not somewhere else because of some French class he didn't take. Just sayin'.

Turcotte didn't go to the 5 nations tournament (Which USA won!) as has been mentioned. He's only played 3 games so far this year. Hopefully that changes ASAP. The other thing not mentioned is Owen Lindmark hasn't played since the third week of October. He had a bit of a slow start on the score sheet but had 2-3-5 in his last 3 games vs. BU, Harvard, and Dartmouth before disappearing from the lineup. Haven't heard specifically but I assume he's battling an injury? And after having just 3 goals in his first 10 games, Caufield has 13 goals in the last 8. He's ok...
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

November rankings from NHL Central Scouting are out.

LINK

Badgers check in with:
                              Turcotte and Caufield as A ranks (1st round)
                              Linkmark, Stange, Leyh as C ranks (4-6 round)

Pretty solid showing, the only schools that I would say are clearly ahead of us are BU and BC
                              BU comes in with:
                              2 x A, 2 x B, 3 x C (4 from USNTDP)
                              BC comes in with
                              3 x A, 5 x C (5 USNTDP and 2 current players)

Other schools may have lots of players listed, but not as much high-end talent. NoDak and Minny each have a lot of players listed, but with only 2 x B rated players and the rest as C rated.

Other interesting note is the current commitments of USNTDP players.
                              5 for BC
                              4 for BU
                              3 for Wisconsin
                              2 for Harvard
                              2 for No Dak
                              1 for Michigan
                              1 for Ohio State
                              1 uncommitted (Cameron York)

I wonder what is driving the trend for USNTDP players heading to Boston?

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                                November rankings from NHL Central Scouting are out.

LINK

I wonder what is driving the trend for USNTDP players heading to Boston?
                                Without looking at their hometowns, proximity to home perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                                X