PDA

View Full Version : Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Squarebanks
08-02-2018, 10:01 AM
Well, it’s August so let’s get this thing going.

Perhaps a little bit of politics to start, as voters will have the opportunity to approve a new ice plant at the Carlson Center in October.

http://http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_news/voters-to-face-two-tax-cap-ballot-measures-one-asks/article_76111db4-962b-11e8-bc43-cf38ede2d7e1.html

mmf
08-08-2018, 08:46 PM
From KTVF11 Sports:
A source within the University says that one of the Candidates, Mike Waddell, has dropped out of the running for the @AlaskaNanooks athletic director job. The only other word is that they are awaiting approval before making an offer.

I went to 3 of the 4 public meet & greets. IMHO, he was heads and shoulders above the others. I believe there are only two left in the pool. Unfortunately, they need go with an interim and start the process all over again in the spring. And for god sakes streamline the hiring process. What a frigging joke.

Squarebanks
08-09-2018, 01:24 PM
From KTVF11 Sports:
A source within the University says that one of the Candidates, Mike Waddell, has dropped out of the running for the @AlaskaNanooks athletic director job. The only other word is that they are awaiting approval before making an offer.

I went to 3 of the 4 public meet & greets. IMHO, he was heads and shoulders above the others. I believe there are only two left in the pool. Unfortunately, they need go with an interim and start the process all over again in the spring. And for god sakes streamline the hiring process. What a frigging joke.

Who else dropped out? None of the proposed finalists really jumped out at me as a great hire. I wish they would find someone with some better connections to Alaska.

mmf
08-09-2018, 06:54 PM
Who else dropped out? None of the proposed finalists really jumped out at me as a great hire. I wish they would find someone with some better connections to Alaska.

I recall a tweet or post somewhere about one other candidate no longer being in the running, but have heard nothing official, or maybe I just wasn't paying attention. Waddell would have been a good hire. Very dynamic personality. Our previous two ADs were nice guys but as personable and dynamic as dish rags. I don't believe an Alaskan connection necessarily brings anything to the AD position.

TalonsUpPuckDown
08-11-2018, 08:12 AM
Hey folks, who do you play on 10/19-20? USCHO composite has you playing both Denver and UAF that weekend, Denver's schedule says they're playing you, your schedule says UAF, and WCHA's composite says UAF.

BGDrew
08-11-2018, 09:41 AM
hey folks, who do you play on 10/19-20? Uscho composite has you playing both denver and uaf that weekend, denver's schedule says they're playing you, your schedule says uaf, and wcha's composite says uaf.

uaa*

Squarebanks
08-11-2018, 10:51 AM
Hey folks, who do you play on 10/19-20? USCHO composite has you playing both Denver and UAF that weekend, Denver's schedule says they're playing you, your schedule says UAF, and WCHA's composite says UAF.

@Denver.

I believe UAA added a new non-conference series against someone, albeit on a different weekend.

mmf
08-11-2018, 01:13 PM
- UAF and UAA dropped their home & home intra-conference ďnon-conferenceĒ games originally scheduled for Oct 19th & 20th.

- UAF now plays at Denver on Oct 19th & 20th. (Iím sure there is an excuse but no valid reason other than incompetence that UAF hasnít updated their on-line schedule).

- UAA now plays at UNO on Dec 29th & 31st (Sat & Mon).

TalonsUpPuckDown
08-11-2018, 02:01 PM
uaa*

Yeah. Doh.

Squarebanks
08-20-2018, 10:37 PM
Hmm... 🤔

http://https://denverpioneers.com/news/2018/8/20/mens-ice-hockey-joe-howe-named-to-coaching-staff-of-ncaa-division-i-program.aspx (https://denverpioneers.com/news/2018/8/20/mens-ice-hockey-joe-howe-named-to-coaching-staff-of-ncaa-division-i-program.aspx)

Squarebanks
08-21-2018, 05:23 PM
Wow, Bruce Cech is stepping down. I hope that isnít a sign we wonít be on the radio this year.

davyd83
08-21-2018, 08:24 PM
Wow, Bruce Cech is stepping down. I hope that isnít a sign we wonít be on the radio this year.

Iíve had the pleasure of sharing press boxes with Bruce for 11 years. Heís a consummate pro, a terrific guy and one of the best in the game. Being a guy that works another job as well, I know how tough it is to juggle schedules to make things work. No one put more heart and soul into it than Bruce did. Proud to call you a friend and a colleague Bruce. You will be missed! Still hooe to see you in January! A tap of the stick as well to Safeway for hepling to make it work!

Suze
08-21-2018, 10:29 PM
Wow, Bruce Cech is stepping down. I hope that isn’t a sign we won’t be on the radio this year.

WHAT??? Never thought I would hear those words. I liked Bruce. Channel 11 news just aired a short interview of Bruce, and he said due to budget constraints the Nanooks will no longer have radio coverage (like UAA and UAH, he said). I was not aware that UAH didn't have radio coverage. Sad.

Squarebanks
08-21-2018, 11:00 PM
WHAT??? Never thought I would hear those words. I liked Bruce. Channel 11 news just aired a short interview of Bruce, and he said due to budget constraints the Nanooks will no longer have radio coverage (like UAA and UAH, he said). I was not aware that UAH didn't have radio coverage. Sad.

Not too surprising. Heís self-funded his broadcasts for a few years now. I assume there will still be a webcast due to wcha.tv?

Suze
08-22-2018, 12:37 AM
Not too surprising. He’s self-funded his broadcasts for a few years now. I assume there will still be a webcast due to wcha.tv?

It's not carried by WCHA TV this year, flohockeytv picked it up. Even though UAA's games weren't on the radio, they were available through audio on the internet, and they still have a play-by-play guy. Are the Nanooks not going to have ANY play-by-play person?

Squarebanks
08-22-2018, 01:13 AM
It's not carried by WCHA TV this year, someone else picked it up. Can't remember who right now. Even though UAA's games weren't on the radio, they were available through audio on the internet, and they still have a play-by-play guy. Are the Nanooks not going to have ANY play-by-play person?

Iíd assume we will have someone doing play-by-play for the WCHA webcasts.

End of an era for us, but the harsh reality is the landscape for live sports continues to change, and not always in a good way. College hockey doesnít, in general, drive big ratings. Iíd assume we would have the option to move the broadcasts back to KUAC, but the ratings probably arenít there. Follow the money, and itís why the sport leans more and more on online distribution where you can have more control over the costs.

I will miss listening to Bruceís broadcast through the TuneIn radio app from the road on my Friday drive home from the office. Itís one of the things that kept me close to UAF.

Suze
08-22-2018, 01:21 AM
Iíd assume we will have someone doing play-by-play for the WCHA webcasts.

End of an era for us, but the harsh reality is the landscape for live sports continues to change, and not always in a good way. College hockey doesnít, in general, drive big ratings. Iíd assume we would have the option to move the broadcasts back to KUAC, but the ratings probably arenít there. Follow the money, and itís why the sport leans more and more on online distribution where you can have more control over the costs.

I will miss listening to Bruceís broadcast through the TuneIn radio app from the road on my Friday drive home from the office. Itís one of the things that kept me close to UAF.

I totally understand what you are saying. Many times we listened to the games through Kurt on the radio Ö he brought them to life for us. So sad to not have radio any longer.

Squarebanks
08-22-2018, 02:49 PM
I totally understand what you are saying. Many times we listened to the games through Kurt on the radio Ö he brought them to life for us. So sad to not have radio any longer.

Pretty lengthy article in the News Miner about Bruce moving on, as well as Nanook hockey no longer being on the radio.

http://www.newsminer.com/sports/uaf_nanooks/bruce-cech-steps-down-as-radio-voice-of-nanooks-hockey/article_39b84e9e-a5eb-11e8-946e-ebe24180c1fb.html

Suze
08-25-2018, 04:21 PM
Pretty lengthy article in the News Miner about Bruce moving on, as well as Nanook hockey no longer being on the radio.

http://www.newsminer.com/sports/uaf_nanooks/bruce-cech-steps-down-as-radio-voice-of-nanooks-hockey/article_39b84e9e-a5eb-11e8-946e-ebe24180c1fb.html

If you go to Bruce's facebook page it sounds like they are trying to get the money for him to continue on.

Alaska Hockey
08-25-2018, 11:38 PM
If you go to Bruce's facebook page it sounds like they are trying to get the money for him to continue on.

mmf would do it for 1/2...........