New Transfer Rule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Transfer Rule

The NCAA passed new rules today regarding transfer and redshirts. It will be interesting to see how they play out in hockey.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Re: New Transfer Rule

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    The NCAA passed new rules today regarding transfer and redshirts. It will be interesting to see how they play out in hockey.
    Aren't they only applicable to football?
    Originally posted by alfablue
    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
      Aren't they only applicable to football?
      No, I just received word from the NCAA that they will apply to all D-1 sports.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Article for the uninitiated: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...tes/698386002/

Based on what it's saying, not sure it's really going to be too big of a deal. Sure, the Big Roll-a-D20 are going to be the first on the phones, but if the kids are unhappy with being at that school, does the school really want to make things worse by making them stay? Plus, with our sport, it takes a kid two minutes to sign on the dotted line, go to Major Junior, and nothing the NCAA or the school can do about it.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
          No, I just received word from the NCAA that they will apply to all D-1 sports.
          Mom just got a whole bunch of player agent power.
          Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 06-14-2018, 02:50 PM.
          Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
          UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

I can see a player putting up good numbers at a small school (or "non-name" school), and then a big name school, through some back door channels (other players, friends, past coaches, etc.) saying "hey, we really like the number you put up last year! Why don't you think about coming over and playing for us next year. I think we can find a spot for you."

Maybe that is just the cynic in me.
            Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
            FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
            NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
            NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
            NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
            NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
            Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
              I can see a player putting up good numbers at a small school (or "non-name" school), and then a big name school, through some back door channels (other players, friends, past coaches, etc.) saying "hey, we really like the number you put up last year! Why don't you think about coming over and playing for us next year. I think we can find a spot for you."

Possible, I suppose. But equally likely is the highly regarded prospect who goes to the big school and gets 4th line minutes with no PP, and decides he'd like to showcase his talents somewhere else

Comment

I haven't read anything regarding the elimination of having to sit out for a year, so I don't see this change as having much impact on men's hockey. I think the possibility of a player being able to play up to a 1/3 of the season and still be redshirted will have much more of an impact. Of course, that is still to be decided for sports other than football.

Sean
                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                NCAA Hockey Financials
                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                  I haven't read anything regarding the elimination of having to sit out for a year, so I don't see this change as having much impact on men's hockey. I think the possibility of a player being able to play up to a 1/3 of the season and still be redshirted will have much more of an impact. Of course, that is still to be decided for sports other than football.

Sean
                  In the email I got this morning, the year “in residence” is still required.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post

That will never happen. never has ....never will.
                    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Sean
                      Is this redshirt policy retroactive? Does it apply to players who played just a few games a year or two ago?
                      Originally Posted by aparch
                      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                        That will never happen. never has ....never will.
                        It was only about 2 weeks from the time Wyatt Ege said he was leaving Anchorage until he anmounced he would be moving to Ohio State.

Comment

I think the possibility of a player being able to play up to a 1/3 of the season and still be redshirted will have much more of an impact. Of course, that is still to be decided for sports other than football.
                          Hockey players could already redshirt for a year if they play in under 1/3 of the games and all the games were in the first half of the season. Kevin Lohan is the first example that pops into my head of someone who played 5 years, I believe Patrick Grasso is also applying for a redshirt for last season.

Comment

While that's true, medical redshirts had already existed in football too. Now you could just play guys whenever and apply for a normal redshirt if they're under the threshold no matter when they played instead of needing to get injured before December. Very different standard. I'd imagine the medical RS basically goes away now, except for upperclassmen who have already redshirted and miss another year.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                              Is this redshirt policy retroactive? Does it apply to players who played just a few games a year or two ago?
                              No, it is not retroactive.

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                              While that's true, medical redshirts had already existed in football too. Now you could just play guys whenever and apply for a normal redshirt if they're under the threshold no matter when they played instead of needing to get injured before December. Very different standard. I'd imagine the medical RS basically goes away now, except for upperclassmen who have already redshirted and miss another year.
                              From what I read it is still 5 years to play 4, so a player will only get one redshirt year. However, as you mention, it is much more flexible and if adopted for other sports it would basically replace the medical redshirt. It could even lead to more graduate transfers, which are already on the rise in hockey.

Sean
                              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                              BU Hockey highlights and extras
                              NCAA Hockey Financials
                              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Working...
                              X