Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU offseason thread - this begs some questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU offseason thread - this begs some questions!

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
    JFK was a much better player than Kevin Hayes through their first two college seasons. I think it is highly likely JFK would have had a better junior season, too.
    Centering a line with Jordan and eventually Brady would've made for a hell of a season for JFK. Him on our roster last year would've elevated that team to an elite level.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Definitely took a while for Hayes to put it all together. At their peak I doubt JFK could do what Hayes did/does but they are also simply different types of players.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        Definitely took a while for Hayes to put it all together. At their peak I doubt JFK could do what Hayes did/does but they are also simply different types of players.
        I agree, but grant that he had some pretty good linemates that year too.
        The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
        BC - 12
        BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          Thought there was more than one person who said it was looking like he would return to BU. No idea who his sources are but he still does a pretty good job for guys who report on this stuff.
          Now I'm just hoping that Mark Divver has some good sources and his comment about Ranta has merit.
          BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
            Now I'm just hoping that Mark Divver has some good sources and his comment about Ranta has merit.
            Divver is pretty good on the recruiting front. But he also did not say Ranta would definitely end up at BU. Similarly, Cox did not say he'd confirmed Brady would return, his tweet said "all signs point to" Brady returning.
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Heard Brady wasn’t the best teammate? If true, could this be a blessing?

Comment

You're gonna get destroyed for that

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                  Divver is pretty good on the recruiting front. But he also did not say Ranta would definitely end up at BU. Similarly, Cox did not say he'd confirmed Brady would return, his tweet said "all signs point to" Brady returning.
                  As of 2-3 weeks ago BU really thought Tkachuk was coming back...but it didn't happen.

Re: Mark Divver's tweet on Sampo Ranta...Mark is the best in the business. Ranta is having TOEFL issues at UW. Some schools have stricter policies than others regarding TOEFL scores. It's not a grades or credit issue. BU is one of several schools pursuing Ranta's services. He isn't 100% out on UW, but I'd expect him to land at a big time program. BU, North Dakota, Providence, etc.
                  https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                  Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                    As of 2-3 weeks ago BU really thought Tkachuk was coming back...but it didn't happen.
                    Probably because literally everyone in the world thinks it was best for him to return.

Comment

Re: Mark Divver's tweet on Sampo Ranta...Mark is the best in the business. Ranta is having TOEFL issues at UW. Some schools have stricter policies than others regarding TOEFL scores. It's not a grades or credit issue. BU is one of several schools pursuing Ranta's services. He isn't 100% out on UW, but I'd expect him to land at a big time program. BU, North Dakota, Providence, etc.
                      Wow, didn't think he was ready but maybe full time hockey will get him there faster
                      NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

So my read on the situation is that his TOEFL score was not high enough for UW, but is high enough for BU and others, and he is trying to decide if he should take it again to still get into UW. Sounds very similar to Letunov's situation.
                        BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                          So my read on the situation is that his TOEFL score was not high enough for UW, but is high enough for BU and others, and he is trying to decide if he should take it again to still get into UW. Sounds very similar to Letunov's situation.
                          I had no idea we had lower TOEFL requirements than other schools.
                          Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Comment

Tkachuk's departure leaves a large hole in what was expected to be BU's top six. Earlier this summer, Albie had suggested a top line of Tkachuk-Bowers-Harper, making a likely second line of Farabee-Carpenter-Cockerill. So, how do the coaches rearrange the pieces? Who's the next man up? It would certainly help if grad transfer Willman can earn a top six spot.
                            The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                              Tkachuk's departure leaves a large hole in what was expected to be BU's top six. Earlier this summer, Albie had suggested a top line of Tkachuk-Bowers-Harper, making a likely second line of Farabee-Carpenter-Cockerill. So, how do the coaches rearrange the pieces? Who's the next man up? It would certainly help if grad transfer Willman can earn a top six spot.
                              No Greenway nor Tkachuk this season results in the forward corps being quite small. There's some size amongst the Freshmen (deBoer, Quercia), but they're expected to be depth pieces.

Willman was mostly a top-6 forward at Brown, but that was also at...Brown...But he does bring size and experience to a team that needs both.

Given the current roster, I see the lines being:

Farabee - Bowers - Harper
                              Cockerill - Wise - Carpenter
                              Curry - Amonte - Willman
                              Quercia - deBoer - Chabot
                              Cheremeta - Witkowski

What was originally thought to be a strength (depth) early in the offseason is now a concern. Crone returning to USHL/transfer to Denver, Tironese not further pursuing hockey, Tkachuk turning pro, and uncertainty over Cloonan's spot on the roster. Quercia had to be brought in a year ahead and Cheremeta a late-addition.

If Ranta wants to come to BU and is admitted, I can see him playing on the 2nd or 3rd line, and potentially on a PP unit. BU has the need, $, so it's just a matter of his interest and BU Admissions at this point.

Comment

Do you think that team is better or worse than last year?

Comment

Working...
                                X