Attendance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attendance

Compared to recent years, seems like it has been pretty good across the board.

Re: Attendance

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Compared to recent years, seems like it has been pretty good across the board.
    Bridgeport looked pretty good tonight. Worcester was excellent I thought...will be interesting to see what tomorrow is like with only one local team left. Didn't really see any of Allentown and South Dakota seemed decent given it's Air Force and UMD.

Comment

Great librarians.

Comment

The box scores look good for Allentown and Sioux Falls. Not used to seeing regionals with 7-8k and even Bridgeport checking in over 5.

Comment

Over 7500 for both Allentown and Sioux Falls
          8500 for Worcester
          Helps to preserve regional format instead if home ice games
          5500 tonight for Bridgeport which had worst draw for attendance

Comment

Anyone know how sales are doing for the Frozen Four?
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Tomorrow in Allentown won't be as good...

Just sayin.
              Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

2016-17 Penrose Cup Champions

YEARS SINCE LAST COLORADO COLLEGE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - 61...and counting

Chicago Cubs - WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS - 1907, 1908, 2016

Chicago Blackhawks - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
              www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Originally posted by DLG View Post
                Over 7500 for both Allentown and Sioux Falls
                8500 for Worcester
                Helps to preserve regional format instead if home ice games
                5500 tonight for Bridgeport which had worst draw for attendance
                After many years of embarrassment and disaster, it was really nice to see respectable crowds at each of the venues. But for the same reason, it's WAY too early to be declaring victory on this.

In Sioux Falls, the West seems to have found a neutral site that actually works. First time in a long time. No, Fargo does not count. Fargo worked financially. For neutrality, it was hypocrisy on steroids.

The other part of the 2018 package was three Eastern Regionals. For truth-in-advertising, Allentown probably should have been called the Mid-East Regional. Again, I'm grateful for this year's success. But having three Eastern Regionals on a permanent basis would definitely raise a fairness question.

Let's see what happens for the next couple of years before getting too excited. Maybe this really is the start of a new, positive trend for the regionals. Or maybe it's a one year aberration.

Comment

The regional final in theory will almost always be fewer people but the semifinal totals were very good. Despite ticket prices still being too high, good turnout. Definitely not saying it's a sign of things to come. All depends on where the regionals are and who is in them.

Comment

I think the committee got it right this year by putting a premium on maximizing attendance and minimizing travel. Hockey has always been somewhat unique among the team sports because it is and always has been bifurcated along east-west lines. So what we got this year were two eastern regionals with mostly eastern teams and two western regionals with mostly western teams. I have no problem with that.

As for Allentown, the name of a regional is just a label. Despite the fact that it's in PA, it's as good a location for most of the Midwest teams if places like Cincinnati choose not to bid.
                    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                      Anyone know how sales are doing for the Frozen Four?
                      Only single seats are available according to NCAA.com

Comment

I attended both days at Bridgeport it appeared there were about 3-3.5K folks on Friday and at least 5K on Saturday. Spoke to some Michigan Tech folks and that trip they took was horrible 15 hour drive or no easy flights into NYC for them. For the distance they turned out well. For whatever reason Clarkson did not travel well Friday. Providence fans saved the day attendance wise on Saturday, although when ND scored the winning goal on Saturday, I was surprised at the size of the cheer that went up.
                        YALE HOCKEY
                        2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                          I attended both days at Bridgeport it appeared there were about 3-3.5K folks on Friday and at least 5K on Saturday. Spoke to some Michigan Tech folks and that trip they took was horrible 15 hour drive or no easy flights into NYC for them. For the distance they turned out well. For whatever reason Clarkson did not travel well Friday. Providence fans saved the day attendance wise on Saturday, although when ND scored the winning goal on Saturday, I was surprised at the size of the cheer that went up.
                          The Irish have alumni everywhere (we always called them the "subway alumni")

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                            I think the committee got it right this year by putting a premium on maximizing attendance and minimizing travel. Hockey has always been somewhat unique among the team sports because it is and always has been bifurcated along east-west lines. So what we got this year were two eastern regionals with mostly eastern teams and two western regionals with mostly western teams. I have no problem with that.

As for Allentown, the name of a regional is just a label. Despite the fact that it's in PA, it's as good a location for most of the Midwest teams if places like Cincinnati choose not to bid.
                            Exactly right. And I have another theory as well. Regarding this rule about "avoiding intra-conference matchups" in the first round...despite what they may say it's NOT so that you get to "mix up" the games (not having teams that play each other all year play each other in the first round), it's for ATTENDANCE reasons. Imagine in the Northeast, for example, if you had BU/NU in the first round. There would be NOBODY there today. So they try to maximize potential for both days. Obviously they'll get it the first day, but if both local teams are knocked out before the final, it would be a disaster. Now, admittedly, this is easier to do in the East to the geographical concentration of schools and the closer proximity to major population centers.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                              The Irish have alumni everywhere (we always called them the "subway alumni")
                              Lots of local SO-CT "Irish" ethnically hockey fans as well. Myself included. The ND band was a treat to hear. Still hate the helmets.
                              YALE HOCKEY
                              2013 National Champions

Comment

Working...
                              X