Don Lucia steps down as Minnesota Gophers coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
    Most people would not agree. See, I can do that too.
    God, you're a bore.
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
      One year doesn't compare to what might happen for the rest of ones career, but when you are in your late 50's, you are probably not trying to completely rebuild the roster to your liking.

Oh, so despite the NCHC getting WAY more teams into the tournament every year until now, and having 7 Frozen Four teams to 1 for the B1G, and having the last two national champs plus a good chance of having the national champ this year, the verdict is still out on which conference is better?

Still waiting for your argument of the Gopher job being the top one in college hockey.
      Considering the East Coast jobs I would personally want to live in Minnesota. So much more relaxing and similar to Alaska's more laid back nature.
      Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

• Re: Don Lucia steps down as Minnesota Gophers coach

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
        Considering the East Coast jobs I would personally want to live in Minnesota. So much more relaxing and similar to Alaska's more laid back nature.
        When I was in Alaska back in 2016, it seemed like 25% of the people we met were former Minnesotans.

I 100% agree with your assessment.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Koho View Post
          Other factors = trend for recruiting age is big factor in why MN doesn't have the edge in skilled players and why this is the first year since like 1968 since MN, UND, BC, WI are all not in the NCAA. All of these schools, like a handful of others, used to really have an edge when most kids committed at 18 or 19, when you had a better idea how they would do in college. It used to be they would announce the MR. Hockey winner and some time after that he usually committed to MN. Now the (formerly?) Power schools are getting the 15-16 yr olds that look like they will be the top players at 19, but way more of them plateau before college than do kids picked at 18. Schools that aren't getting as many 15 yr old commits are mixing in the older kids who were passed on when younger, but continued to improve and may now be a better player than the kid who was leading the state in points at 15. Hard to pass on that 15 yr old stud when you might be passing on the next Vanek or Boeser. But it also doesn't leave space for that late bloomer. The result is more parity. I think Gopher fans who think the right coach will put them back to making the NCAA 9 of 10 year and in the final four every few years need to accept this may be the new reality. And people who talk about the Defense's performance this year as evidence Guentzel maybe isn't as good as people used to think he was, should recognize that these kids committed fairly young and with high expectation (how many are drafted?). Maybe they just plateaued a little, regardless of what a coach does. Hard to judge a coach on the performance in one year.
          Every coach has to deal with these things and few besides UND and a few others get this kind of recruiting pipeline. And UND has been consistently better over the past decade, heck SCSU has gotten to the tournament more often during the past decade. Doing better than what we have isn’t some monumental task.

Comment

• Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
            Someone just posted York's salary as over $2 million. That's nuts. That's like 4x what anyone else is paid. I would take that job.
            Originally posted by SJHovey
            Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
            Originally posted by Brenthoven
            We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

• Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
              God, you're a bore.
              Most people would agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                Someone just posted York's salary as over $2 million. That's nuts. That's like 4x what anyone else is paid. I would take that job.
                Lucia’s is probably close after benefits and outside income. I don’t know if I buy a straight $2 million salary.
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                  Every coach has to deal with these things and few besides UND and a few others get this kind of recruiting pipeline. And UND has been consistently better over the past decade, heck SCSU has gotten to the tournament more often during the past decade. Doing better than what we have isn’t some monumental task.
                  Did you see the comparison SteveO posted between programs stats in recent years? MN is right in the mix with everyone, not as bad as people portray. And I didn't say it is a monumental task to see some improvement, I just don't see them, or the UND's, BC's, BU's etc. staying at the top on a sustained basis with the current state of recruiting, as was the case when you go back more than 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    I watched it "live" with my wife at home. It got so emotional that at one point I actually struggled to hold back the tears. I guess after going to the games for so many years his departure means more to me than I realized. And you are so right, omahasioux1, Lucia is a "complete class act". Only it's not an act at all, he's as genuine as a coach can be.

Don't take any of this to mean that I didn't think a change was needed. It just took me longer than most to come to this conclusion. In a weird sort of way I was happy to hear Coach Lucia say that in the past couple of months he came to understand that it was time for him to move on. I wish him nothing but the best.
                    I agree, there was a tough moment there.

Comment

Not sure where someone posted York's salary as $2 million but I don’t think that's right. His total compensation is over a million but not a $2 mill salary.

Oh and being the flagship university in the state with the history and all the talent in Minnesota, yes the Gopher job is easily top 5.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Lucia’s is probably close after benefits and outside income. I don’t know if I buy a straight $2 million salary.
                        Lucia's may be close to York's, but it **** sure isn't close to $2M. His compensation was like $650k.
                        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          Not sure where someone posted York's salary as $2 million but I don’t think that's right. His total compensation is over a million but not a $2 mill salary.

Oh and being the flagship university in the state with the history and all the talent in Minnesota, yes the Gopher job is easily top 5.
                          No one said it wasn't top 5. Koho said it was arguably the top job. When I asked him what criteria that was based on, he couldn't say.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                            God, you're a bore.
                            Says the biggest clown in the history of this board. I'm crushed.

Comment

Well if you're top 5, i'm sure an argument can be made for it being the top job. Unless you think there are 4 that are clearly above it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                                Lucia's may be close to York's, but it **** sure isn't close to $2M. His compensation was like $650k.
                                That’s probably just his contract not including outside compensation
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X