Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    Do you live in Maine ? If so is it a meth house? You'd have to be extremely high to think he can raise enough cash to build another arena. The oldest state in the union with an aversion to any kind of business that isnt tourist related. This isnt Colarado. Some pot seller out there could probably fund a new arena with ill gotten gain. I hope he can raise enough money to keep Maine D1 .

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Well, you make it seem impossible. I don't think so. Here is an example based on Wikipedia net worth of Alfond's children. If all three split the cost evenly, they would eacch donate 0.4% of their net worth to build a 40 million dollar arena. This is not counting any other donations from any other wealthy people.

Now, I am not saying this is going to happen, just an example to prove it is not as impossible as you make it seem.

Here is an article written in 2011 where UMaine raised over 150 million.
    https://bangordailynews.com/2011/04/...-raising-goal/

Here is an article written last year where they raise 121 million on their way to a 200 million dollar goal.
    https://umaine.edu/news/blog/2017/10...sive-campaign/

I am not convinced you are high if you think Maine can't get enough donar money over time to fund a new arena. I think you are high if you think it is impossible.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
      Well, you make it seem impossible. I don't think so. Here is an example based on Wikipedia net worth of Alfond's children. If all three split the cost evenly, they would eacch donate 0.4% of their net worth to build a 40 million dollar arena. This is not counting any other donations from any other wealthy people.

Now, I am not saying this is going to happen, just an example to prove it is not as impossible as you make it seem.

Here is an article written last year where they raise 121 million on their way to a 200 million dollar goal.

I am not convinced you are high if you think Maine can't get enough donar money over time to fund a new arena. I think you are high if you think it is impossible.
      Doesn’t the campus have a lot of needs before they would get to a new rink? I can’t see where a new rink would help attendance in any way either. Lower prices and a better team is what they need.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
        Doesn’t the campus have a lot of needs before they would get to a new rink? I can’t see where a new rink would help attendance in any way either. Lower prices and a better team is what they need.
        Maybe. My post wasn't targeted at saying we need a new arena to improve attendance. You introduced that.

My post was only to illustrate Maine has campaigned, has had donors, etc... And to assume that it is impossible for Maine to get a new arena funded by donors is to ignore history(facts) and basic mathematical concepts.

Comment

Id hate to see Alfond go, but I had a friend point out that a possible reason they played up the 40th season was that the place wont make it to 50 seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
            Id hate to see Alfond go, but I had a friend point out that a possible reason they played up the 40th season was that the place wont make it to 50 seasons.
            Maybe and maybe not....but the reason it was hyped up was: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post

I dont see it as impossible, I see it as very improbable given the economic conditions in the State of Maine. Could someone gift a new Arena? sure its possible.
              Alfonds offspring could pony up the dough easily, ever see any of them at a game. Do you know if any of them like hockey or care about UMaine at all? Kings would be more likely to do it and UMaine told them to go away.

I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I dont see it as impossible, I see it as very improbable given the economic conditions in the State of Maine. Could someone gift a new Arena? sure its possible.
                Alfonds offspring could pony up the dough easily, ever see any of them at a game. Do you know if any of them like hockey or care about UMaine at all? Kings would be more likely to do it and UMaine told them to go away.

When you read the second link I sent you will notice they mention Alfond fund for athletics. When you look up each of the Alfond siblings on wikipedia you will notice philantropist used to describe them. The two boys evident combine to have a 4 percent share in the Red Sox. You will also notice Kings name mentioned in that second link, though not for athletics. Again, not saying any of this happens. I am not sure I would say very improbable. More than likely it is a matter of time needed to build the fund.

Comment

When you read the second link I sent you will notice they mention Alfond fund for athletics. When you look up each of the Alfond siblings on wikipedia you will notice philantropist used to describe them. The two boys evident combine to have a 4 percent share in the Red Sox. You will also notice Kings name mentioned in that second link, though not for athletics. Again, not saying any of this happens. I am not sure I would say very improbable. More than likely it is a matter of time needed to build the fund.
                  I cant think of their names but someone was going to match a few million if the U raised a few million for a hockey endowment. That was years ago, has it been matched yet?

Comment

I cant think of their names but someone was going to match a few million if the U raised a few million for a hockey endowment. That was years ago, has it been matched yet?

I don't know. You would have better luck asking some that works in the UMaine foundation.

Comment

I don't know. You would have better luck asking some that works in the UMaine foundation.
                      last i heard it wasnt even close.

Comment

last i heard it wasnt even close.

What is the amount then? And what is the goal?

Comment

What is the amount then? And what is the goal?
                          i think they were going to match 1 or 2 million bucks. They get the money donated and then they would match. Maybe they made the amount and they didnt announce it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            i think they were going to match 1 or 2 million bucks. They get the money donated and then they would match. Maybe they made the amount and they didnt announce it

I thought I read somewhere they were raising a couple hundred thousand a year. Banning the hockey team from having a golf tournament likely isn’t helping. It will be interesting to see what the new AD does as far as the fan groups go.
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

I don't think a single one of the Alfond offspring or their children went to Orono.
                              Last edited by AMC; 08-23-2018, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                                I don't think a single one of the Alfond offspring or their children went to Orono.
                                Nor did Harold, I believe. Yet, there is this statement that can easily be navigated to from goblackbears.com

About Harold Alfond: Harold Alfond and many of his family members have proven to be among UMaine's most loyal fans! The University of Maine Black Bears are the state's only NCAA Division I athletic program, and offer a unique fan experience that is second to none in Maine. The Alfonds' support of the UMaine Black Bears totals more than $15 million in gifts and pledges. The Alfonds and the Alfond Foundation have leveraged further support from other donors through their challenge grants. Directly and indirectly, the Alfonds' philanthropy has benefited hundreds of scholar-athletes, coaching staff, and UMaine fans, including students and local families.

Comment

Working...
                                X