• Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Hockey Offseason: Insert Funny Title Here

An article by Joe Carr...
    http://sportschowdah.bangordailynews...y-the-numbers/

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
      Is there anything that isn't in your workbook? Tomorrow's Powerball numbers?
      Oddly, I was thinking that I don't have the cost per win in my workbook. I'm not sure why I even thought of it, but I did and I immediately wondered about it. However, with last year's financials now available I think I will work on getting those and updating the workbook to including the niumbers for the 2016-17 season first.

It's likely I do have tomorrow's Powerball numbers in the workbook, but I sure don't know where.

Sean's one of the good ones. No need to taunt him. Now mookie on the other hand...
      Thanks for the support, but I don't mind being poked. Heck, sometimes I do the poking.

Sean
      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
      BU Hockey highlights and extras
      NCAA Hockey Financials
      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
        Red's first team - arguably his best- was composed 100% of Whitehead recruits...
        I have been reading the Maine threads the past year or two because both our coaches started at the same time and I find most Maine fans who post are far more rational than a number of the BU fans who post. That said, it's my impression that many Maine posters here seem to think Coach Whitehead lost whatever recruiting edge he had when Coach Standbrook left the Maine coaching staff. I also have the impression that some here think Coach Gendron now getting better recruits than Coach Whitehead got at the end of his tenure. So, why was Coach Gendron's best season to date record wise his first with Coach Whitehead's recruits?

Sean

BU Hockey Games
        NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Some memories from 25 years ago today (and yesterday)

Jim Montgomery was also a finalist for the 1993 Hobey Baker Award but he believed so strongly that Paul Kariya deserved that award that he made a video of PK's highlights and sent it to the Hobey Baker Committee.

When we won the championship Shawn Walsh's annual salary was $65,000.

Joe Carr's radio call of Montgomery's game winner:
          https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=Zpu_f7aD7bc

The game story and box score posted by Ryan Robbins
          I was there and despite being disappointed BU had lost to Lake Superior it was a great championship game and Montgomery's third period play was outstanding. I was also there for Maine's only loss of the season, which had a great second half of the game, but this time by Maine's opponent.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
          NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
            I was there and despite being disappointed BU had lost to Lake Superior it was a great championship game and Montgomery's third period play was outstanding. I was also there for Maine's only loss of the season, which had a great second half of the game, but this time by Maine's opponent.

Sean
            Even though Jim will still deny it, I think that "1" was the fuel we needed. I'll never forget the ride from the Sonesta to Boston Garden for the Hockey East Championship. It was a loose atmosphere, the guys were joking around, it was very relaxed. Suddenly Shawn stood and popped a video in and said, "All eyes up here." He didn't say another word; just pressed play on the VCR. It was a replay of all seven goals BU scored that night and the celebration that followed.

There wasn't another word spoken on the bus, all the way to the locker room. That team was all business.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
              So, why was Coach Gendron's best season to date record wise his first with Coach Whitehead's recruits?

Sean
              Unless I'm mistaken the 2017-2018 season was Maine's best since 2011-12 season when the team went 23-3-14 (W-T-L).

I think for the first couple of years there were slim pickins for the recruits Gendron wanted, i.e. big power guys. I think Maine has about the biggest roster in the NCAAs at the moment. That will change in the next couple of years though with several smaller/faster recruits coming which is a good thing IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by dogtagger View Post
                Unless I'm mistaken the 2017-2018 season was Maine's best since 2011-12 season when the team went 23-3-14 (W-T-L).
                The 2013-14 team was 18-15-4.

Comment

The 2013-14 team was 18-15-4.
                  Ok thanks, I was looking at http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.p...=2012&team=606 which shows the 2013-14 team going 16-15-4 (as does the HE website http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/...php#undefined4)
                  Last edited by dogtagger; 04-03-2018, 06:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dogtagger View Post
                    Ok thanks, I was looking at http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.p...=2012&team=606 which shows the 2013-14 team going 16-15-4 (as does the HE website http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/...php#undefined4)
                    Now I remember this problem from when I was researching Red's record at Maine. The UM schedule page incorrectly credits two wins in exhibition games to the overall W-L record. I think the discrepancy comes from the fact Maine played three exhibitions against Canadian teams because the team only had 32 countable games on the schedule. The NCAA allows one exhibition but any others are counted against your 34 game allotment. Thus those exhibitions counted in that regard, but were still exhibitions that should not be counted in the record. So the official record would be 16-15-4 not 18-15-4 as it says on the website.

Tl;dr
                    The Maine website is wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                      I have been reading the Maine threads the past year or two because both our coaches started at the same time and I find most Maine fans who post are far more rational than a number of the BU fans who post. That said, it's my impression that many Maine posters here seem to think Coach Whitehead lost whatever recruiting edge he had when Coach Standbrook left the Maine coaching staff. I also have the impression that some here think Coach Gendron now getting better recruits than Coach Whitehead got at the end of his tenure. So, why was Coach Gendron's best season to date record wise his first with Coach Whitehead's recruits?

Sean
                      I think Red got a change bounce the first year. Year 2 still having two NHL regulars in Devin Shore and Ben Hutton Red’s team stunk. That defies logic.

Notion that Red’s recruits are now better than Whiteheads may be a, pardon me, red herring. There’s no one here as good as Shore, Hutton, Nyquist. There may be more depth. Some may develop into say a Flynn or Abbott, who weren’t obviously superstars as freshmen, but we’ll see.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                      43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                      104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                      3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                        I think Red got a change bounce the first year. Year 2 still having two NHL regulars in Devin Shore and Ben Hutton Red’s team stunk. That defies logic.

Notion that Red’s recruits are now better than Whiteheads may be a, pardon me, red herring. There’s no one here as good as Shore, Hutton, Nyquist. There may be more depth. Some may develop into say a Flynn or Abbott, who weren’t obviously superstars as freshmen, but we’ll see.
                        I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I see Tralmaks being better than Nyquist senior year or much sooner, if he can stay positive and becomes a team leader with the right supporting cast.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                          2 guys don't make a hockey team. I'm not defending Red here but I don't see how it defies logic.

I don't see anyone close to Gustav on this team. Tralmaks had his moments and will be good if he continues to work hard but better than a NHLer, I don't see it
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            2 guys don't make a hockey team. I'm not defending Red here but I don't see how it defies logic.

I don't see anyone close to Gustav on this team. Tralmaks had his moments and will be good if he continues to work hard but better than a NHLer, I don't see it
                            Seems like you are very defending Red and are thrilled with his coaching.

Just kidding, and agree with first point. Second point is sort of difficult because of the differences in their style of play. When I think of Nyquist I think of a little undersized, fast, creative, great nifty stick skills, playmaker... When I watch Tralmaks I see more of a prototypical NHL frame where at NCAA level he is considered a power forward, go to the net, battle in front, has a nice wrister, can grind down low, strong on the puck hard to get him off it, can deliver hits...

I am not sure they are the same player. And my guess is both will be long term NHLers.

But Nyquist is the best forward we've seen since when he came into Maine only considering his play first year and second year compared to current first and second year players at Maine now. I think there are a few great forwards on the team now and a couple more coming in next season. I think next year you will see half the number of guys on the forward lines are great forwards. That will make the offense even stronger next season.

So I hope the defense makes strides being a year older. And that a couple new defensemen play solid in their own end in front of Swayman.

That seems to project to a very good Maine team next season where they get up over the 20 win bar.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                              Even though Jim will still deny it, I think that "1" was the fuel we needed. I'll never forget the ride from the Sonesta to Boston Garden for the Hockey East Championship. It was a loose atmosphere, the guys were joking around, it was very relaxed. Suddenly Shawn stood and popped a video in and said, "All eyes up here." He didn't say another word; just pressed play on the VCR. It was a replay of all seven goals BU scored that night and the celebration that followed.

There wasn't another word spoken on the bus, all the way to the locker room. That team was all business.
                              You know that move by walsh was a great motivation by the coach. Something Herb Brooks would have done. Great coaches are also great motivators.

I cant recall if that was in the out of the woods documentary.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                                You know that move by walsh was a great motivation by the coach. Something Herb Brooks would have done. Great coaches are also great motivators.

I cant recall if that was in the out of the woods documentary.
                                Pretty sure it was in out of the woods

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X