Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I hope your right and you obviously have more knowledge than me, but I will keep my expectations at a reasonable level. I am not getting overly optimistic after this past year. I hope one or more of the incoming freshman who have Captained their USHL team become instant leaders and lead this team back to the top.
    Well, yes, keep it reasonable. I think a lot of folks see a star rating on a kid and think he should come in and score 30 goals. In reality, it's really, really rare for NCAA freshman (especially true freshman) to have more than about 15. I think there were two in D1 this year, maybe 6 or so the year before, but at least 4 of those are now already in the NHL.

If Ranta can get 15-ish, (he's capable) it would be fantastic. Add 5-10 from a couple other new guys, plus a little blue line scoring, and we're in business.
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      Oh yeah! Reasonable analysis that gets me jacked up for the upcoming season! We're gonna have another Tancill/Shuchuk/Sagisoor line, 8 billion combined points in a single season. Can not wait!
      I think the bigger hope for that kind of line might be starting the following year when we could have Turcotte centering Ranta and Caufield.

It'll be interesting next year seeing if Caufield can follow up his silly goal scoring numbers playing full time against the next level of competition with the U18's. (he has 6g-5a in 11gp this year) Especially if Jack Hughes leaves to play at Michigan or somewhere else. Hughes is the first guy in a long time I've seen that affects a game anything like the way Gretzky did. That kid is just unbelievable. Hope Quinn goes straight to the NHL and Jack plays elsewhere so we don't have to play them together at MI next year. Although they would be fun to watch. In any case, the U17's were so dominating as a team, it's a little hard to tell exactly how strong each individual piece will be going forward.

U18 World's are being broadcast on the NHL network this week if anybody wants to watch future Badgers Emberson, Miller, Caufield, and Turcotte play.
      Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 04-20-2018, 10:53 AM.
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
        Hughes is the first guy in a long time I've seen that affects a game anything like the way Gretzky did. .
        Using a college equivalent, he is similar to Brett Hull or Tony Hrkac then. I recall Hull scoring what it felt like was hundreds of goals against UW, Hrkac too. Obviously I was scared for life.

Not that you are old enough to recall, but if you were, could you recall who played on MJ's lines @ UW? I'm curious if they exceeded what Shuchuk/Tancill/Sagisoor put up in 1990.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Using a college equivalent, he is similar to Brett Hull or Tony Hrkac then. I recall Hull scoring what it felt like was hundreds of goals against UW, Hrkac too. Obviously I was scared for life.

Not that you are old enough to recall, but if you were, could you recall who played on MJ's lines @ UW? I'm curious if they exceeded what Shuchuk/Tancill/Sagisoor put up in 1990.
          I tried looking through the Media Guides to see if they had anything about that, but they didn't show (or say) who was on who's line. Bummer.

You might have some better luck putting the numbers together with them though.

http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi...cope=UW.Hockey
          Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
            I tried looking through the Media Guides to see if they had anything about that, but they didn't show (or say) who was on who's line. Bummer.

You might have some better luck putting the numbers together with them though.

http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi...cope=UW.Hockey
            I'm hoping Wisko does all the heavy lifting for me, LOL. Thanks for the links, those will be fun going thru to kill time.

Comment

I'm hoping Wisko does all the heavy lifting for me, LOL. Thanks for the links, those will be fun going thru to kill time.
              The ones from the 70's and 80's are great. Much less fluff and a good deal of info.

Now they are 378 pages and are enjoyable, but less.... focused.

Comment

It’d be great if they had any old box scores. Then we could just look at who assisted on whose even strength goals.
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I'm hoping Wisko does all the heavy lifting for me, LOL.
                  I was just a kid but I became a fan watching in '76-'77 on PBS replays. Long time ago and obviously lines were switched up, etc. and I could be wrong, but I think this is the general gist of what you're asking:

'90 - Schuchuk (80) Tancill (71) Saggisor (47) [198]

D - Sean Hill (53) Osiecki (43) [96]

'77 - Alley (63) Eaves (81) Ulseth (31) [175]

Meeker (53) Johnson (80) Grauer (54) [187]

D - Norwich (83) John Taft (58) [141]

'78 - Romanchuk (35) Eaves (89) Ulseth (40) [174]

Grauer (46) Johnson (86) McIntosh (35) [167]

D - Welsh (55) B.Suter (25) [80]

'79 - Grauer (61) Johnson (90) Lecy (56) (207)

D - Welsh (61) B Suter (44) [105]

Added in the top D as well. '77 team was devastating on the PP and a lot of points were racked up there. Looking at this I was reminded Mike Meeker left early in the 78 season to play Juniors in Canada. He was drafted in the second round after the season at a time when no NCAA player went in the first 2 rounds, and only a handful in the first 7 rounds. Mark Johnson was a 4th rounder, Eaves a 7th. I firmly believe that if he came up in today's game, MJ would easily be a top 5 pick.
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                    I was just a kid but I became a fan watching in '76-'77 on PBS replays. Long time ago and obviously lines were switched up, etc. and I could be wrong, but I think this is the general gist of what you're asking:

Added in the top D as well. '77 team was devastating on the PP and a lot of points were racked up there. Looking at this I was reminded Mike Meeker left early in the 78 season to play Juniors in Canada. He was drafted in the second round after the season at a time when no NCAA player went in the first 2 rounds, and only a handful in the first 7 rounds. Mark Johnson was a 4th rounder, Eaves a 7th. I firmly believe that if he came up in today's game, MJ would easily be a top 5 pick.
                    If I recall, that power play was in the low 30s percentage wise. I know goalies and defense are better now, but to put that in perspective,

Princeton was 27% this season.(ECAC) meh.

The Penguins hit on 26% with all that fire power.
                    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                      If I recall, that power play was in the low 30s percentage wise. I know goalies and defense are better now, but to put that in perspective,

Princeton was 27% this season.(ECAC) meh.

The Penguins hit on 26% with all that fire power.
                      38 games - 93 for 238 - 39.1 %.

Alley- Eaves -Johnson - Norwich - Taft. 93 freaking power play goals!

They averaged 2.45 PPG/game, highest in (recorded) NCAA history. Mankato was #1 with 52 this year and I couldn't tell you the last time somebody was even in the 60's. Heck, we only had 115 goals TOTAL this year.

How much ice time do you think Dave Lundeen had as the third line Center behind those two monster lines? He didn't see much if any PP time and still had 18 goals - 47 points. Can you imagine? Maybe Maine was better, I don't know, but if the '77 Badgers weren't the best, they were certainly one of the 2-3 best teams in NCCA history.
                      Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 04-21-2018, 06:13 PM.
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

I was a bit bored this afternoon, so I went looking for box scores for the '76-'77 season. Found a few on the Milwaukee Journal archives.

Page 15 - https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...rontpage&hl=en

Page 13 - https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...rontpage&hl=en

Not sure why they don't have the Sunday editions in the archive, but it gives you a look into a few of the lineups.

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                          I was a bit bored this afternoon, so I went looking for box scores for the '76-'77 season. Found a few on the Milwaukee Journal archives.

Page 15 - https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...rontpage&hl=en

Page 13 - https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...rontpage&hl=en

Not sure why they don't have the Sunday editions in the archive, but it gives you a look into a few of the lineups.
                          I LOVE reading stuff like this, being a history buff.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post

I asked and I received. Fantastic info and much appreciated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                              38 games - 93 for 238 - 39.1 %.

Alley- Eaves -Johnson - Norwich - Taft. 93 freaking power play goals!

They averaged 2.45 PPG/game, highest in (recorded) NCAA history. Mankato was #1 with 52 this year and I couldn't tell you the last time somebody was even in the 60's. Heck, we only had 115 goals TOTAL this year.

How much ice time do you think Dave Lundeen had as the third line Center behind those two monster lines? He didn't see much if any PP time and still had 18 goals - 47 points. Can you imagine? Maybe Maine was better, I don't know, but if the '77 Badgers weren't the best, they were certainly one of the 2-3 best teams in NCCA history.
                              39%!! Holy ****, even better than I remember.

Thanks to all of you guys looking up facts. As Tim posted, very cool and interesting!
                              __________________________________________________ __________

GO LEAFS, EH?
                              Buck the Fruins. . _/
                              Last edited by MadCityRich; 04-25-2018, 06:27 PM.
                              "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Kryieger’s asked for releases and are headed to MSU.

This is very bad news imo. Too many kids in the pipeline and this is how rumors start and could avalanche into “why sign with Wisconsin they don’t care about you”

Perception is reality in D1 sports and this is very bad optics.

Granato has had 2 years, he needs to figure this out yesterday.
                                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X