2018 B1G Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 B1G Tournament

Well we're 3 days from the tournament with the new format. How do people like the new format? Thoughts, predictions?

Re: 2018 B1G Tournament

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    Well we're 3 days from the tournament with the new format. How do people like the new format? Thoughts, predictions?
    I love the best of 3 first round. I think the 2nd round should be best of 3 if your going to use a 3 week format. You are putting your #1 seed at a disadvantage, they are not afforded a loss like the 3 first round winners got. I would prefer sending the final 4 teams to the #1 seeds place and do it in 1 weekend. This would allow you 1 more week of non league play and finish the conference season 1 week later.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
      I love the best of 3 first round. I think the 2nd round should be best of 3 if your going to use a 3 week format. You are putting your #1 seed at a disadvantage, they are not afforded a loss like the 3 first round winners got. I would prefer sending the final 4 teams to the #1 seeds place and do it in 1 weekend. This would allow you 1 more week of non league play and finish the conference season 1 week later.
      I also prefer your second option, three game series first week, with a second week final four at #1's school. One game a week for 2 weeks doesn't raise the excitement like a final four in one weekend. And for teams that happen to lose the first weekend but make the NCAA, that is a long gap in play.

Comment

I can't say I'm keen on the second round one & done either. Perhaps since this is the first year in the new arrangement they're open to tweaking it next year. If we get that 8th team it can all be done in two four on four brackets in two weeks instead of three.

Comment

I think having the top teams host should offer a superior environment to the previously poorly attended tournaments in Detroit and St. Paul.

If OSU wins this weekend and hosts the following weekend, do you still have conflicts this time of year for your arena? Was it high school basketball tourney or something? Does having just one game vs. the potential 3 games change that?

I prefer the idea of doing it in 2 weeks with the top 4 playing at one site. How do people feel about a consolation game for PWR points/anyone willing to travel gets a guarantee of seeing their team play 2 games?
          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
          7 B1G
          7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
          6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
          5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
          5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
          2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
          2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
            If OSU wins this weekend and hosts the following weekend, do you still have conflicts this time of year for your arena? Was it high school basketball tourney or something? Does having just one game vs. the potential 3 games change that?
            Yeah, second round if we advance is downtown at the Nationwide, the Blue Jackets ice since our own university cares more about their freaking money than not kicking their own team off their own ice to host HIGH SCHOOL EVENTS!
            If fortune smiles on us and we by some chance host the championship game it would also be at Nationwide but it would be an early game due to the Jackets having an evening game.

Comment

Yeah, second round if we advance is downtown at the Nationwide, the Blue Jackets ice since our own university cares more about their freaking money than not kicking their own team off their own ice to host HIGH SCHOOL EVENTS!
              If fortune smiles on us and we by some chance host the championship game it would also be at Nationwide but it would be an early game due to the Jackets having an evening game.
              Yea that title game is going to be at 1pm. In theory i couldmake it to bowling green to see thge wcha titke game at 7 if the falcons get to host.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                I also prefer your second option, three game series first week, with a second week final four at #1's school. One game a week for 2 weeks doesn't raise the excitement like a final four in one weekend. And for teams that happen to lose the first weekend but make the NCAA, that is a long gap in play.
                Yea the losers thiis weekend going to have a long lay off expect for Michigan State and wisconson

Comment

I think the main reason for the failing of the previous format beside the travel for some fans is that the conference didn't make much of an event out of it.
                  I don't know how the WCHA did it but in the CCHA they went all out to make it something special!
                  They partnered with the Renaissance Center in Detroit as the host hotel and it would be decked out with banners, emblems & displays everywhere and offered significant rate discounts for fans. They would usually have a large party and band and I can recall when they had FREE food & beer!!
                  The B1G did NOTHING for the fans. The awards banquet and shows were pretty neat as well in the old Fox Theater.

Comment

Perhaps since this is the first year in the new arrangement they're open to tweaking it next year.
                    Agree with this. Happy to have the first round back on campus, it sure beats an empty Joe or half empty X. Not that my team will get to enjoy their home ice. But we'll see what the teams think of this three weekend deal with one game each of the final two weekends. Sure would be nice to put the semis in the #1 seed's rink as others have mentioned.
                    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                      Agree with this. Happy to have the first round back on campus, it sure beats an empty Joe or half empty X. Not that my team will get to enjoy their home ice. But we'll see what the teams think of this three weekend deal with one game each of the final two weekends. Sure would be nice to put the semis in the #1 seed's rink as others have mentioned.
                      What could be really funny is if ohio state host the final it would be in nationwide arena. Just what the conference. Wanted to avoid a empty nhl arena.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                        What could be really funny is if ohio state host the final it would be in nationwide arena. Just what the conference. Wanted to avoid a empty nhl arena.
                        I wouldn't be opposed to having it in the old 800 seat barn so the conference is embarrassed. Serve them right for letting the University get away with that crap!
                        Not too hard for fans of other schools to see what our hot button is isn't it?

Comment

I think the main reason for the failing of the previous format beside the travel for some fans is that the conference didn't make much of an event out of it.
                          I don't know how the WCHA did it but in the CCHA they went all out to make it something special!
                          They partnered with the Renaissance Center in Detroit as the host hotel and it would be decked out with banners, emblems & displays everywhere and offered significant rate discounts for fans. They would usually have a large party and band and I can recall when they had FREE food & beer!!
                          The B1G did NOTHING for the fans. The awards banquet and shows were pretty neat as well in the old Fox Theater.
                          The WCHA Final Five prior to conference realignment was the best college hockey tournament held. It’s a shame that’ll never happen again, but St. Paul was all WCHA for three full days and it was filled with college hockey fans.
                          AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Wisconsin has the similar scheduling conflicts.

They host the high school wrestling and boys basketball state tournaments in the Kohl Center around this time every year.

They had hosted the girls basketball tournament too, but that has been moved to Green Bay.

I think that any conflicting games were scheduled to be played at the Veteran's Memorial Coliseum at the Alliant Energy Center. A nice enough facility, that is getting some upgrades. This was where the team played until the Kohl Center opened in the late 90s.

The Kohl Center hosted HS wrestling last weekend (Feb 22-24), so we had to schedule an away series.
                            The Kohl Center will be hosting HS basketball the weekend of March 15-17.

We would have hosted the first round on campus, and the 2nd round single game on campus too. If Wisconsin had been hosting the championship game, it would have been a throwback at the off-campus rink.

Comment

This was exactly my beef with the B1G, and I mentioned it to our AD. Sadly, the solution was to bail on the idea all together. IMHO, it would not have been *that* hard to promote both St Paul and Detroit every other year- but given they didn't even try, it was a moot point.

As for now- I also like the best of three to start, but to extend it to two weekends of best of three before a champ- well, we just need more teams. A real weekend is at least 4 at any given place for a final 4, we honestly need 8 teams the weekend prior- as I'm not really a fan of letting anyone get out of playing at least one weekend prior to the championship. But we really need more teams before we even get best of 3 for all teams on one weekend....

Relative to all teams making it to the championships- this is a whole lot better. Relative to making it a real B1G event, there can be a lot more work promoting B1G championships at the Pizzarena and the X- it CAN work, since it did.

Comment

Working...
                              X