Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northeastern Huskies 2017-18 Season Thread Part II: My Dog's Better Than Your Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so who would we get?.. or whose winner would we get at matthews? i'm sorry have not had chance to check all the match ups. nice wknd, hopefully some help in the pairwise as well. nice going team!
    go huskies
    GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Re: Northeastern Huskies 2017-18 Season Thread Part II: My Dog's Better Than Your Do

Still hanging in at #11 in the PWR. Providence down to #12. BC suddenly in bubble territory at #16. I'd expect NU to get a bump-up in the polls unless the voters pay no attention to back-to-back shutouts.
      "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
        so who would we get?.. or whose winner would we get at matthews? i'm sorry have not had chance to check all the match ups. nice wknd, hopefully some help in the pairwise as well. nice going team!
        go huskies
        Lowell with chalk next week. UMass/Vermont/Merrimack are all possibilities if not, in that order of likelihood.

Comment

Re: Northeastern Huskies 2017-18 Season Thread Part II: My Dog's Better Than Your Do

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
          Lowell with chalk next week. UMass/Vermont/Merrimack are all possibilities if not, in that order of likelihood.
          Reallllly don't wanna see Norm in 2 weeks. I know it's not the talent isn't the same as the past few years but that guy knows how to grind out wins. I'm not too concerned with any of the other 3.
          2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
          2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

thx. hopefully they get some good skates in & get rested up a bit. stretch run here, let's finish strong. hopefully some of their best hockey still to come.
            Go NU
            GO NU HOCKEY
            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

congrats to Gaudette for HE scoring & Primeau for HE goaltending

https://twitter.com/GoNUmhockey/status/967780310686498817?s=20
              GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Sikura news:
                Bowman said he's talked to Dylan Sikura's family advisor and has discussed what a contract could look like after Sikura's college season is over. Bowman expects to add Sikura to his NHL roster this season.
                "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                  Sikura news:
                  Bowman said he's talked to Dylan Sikura's family advisor and has discussed what a contract could look like after Sikura's college season is over. Bowman expects to add Sikura to his NHL roster this season.
                  good for him. hope he hits the weights some, bit of a more focused diet and the best to him beyond Northeastern.
                  Wait... he still gets to have some fun in the college ranks so hope he makes the most of it.
                  Go Huskies
                  GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

congrats to Gaudette for HE scoring & Primeau for HE goaltending

https://twitter.com/GoNUmhockey/stat...686498817?s=20
                    From a pure numbers standpoint, Primeau is having a better season this year than Thiessen did in 08-09 when he was in the Hobey Hattrick. Of course, Hockey East was really good that season and Brad faced better competition/opponents in conference and out of conference, but it just shows how amazing CP has been this year.

Comment

good for him. hope he hits the weights some, bit of a more focused diet and the best to him beyond Northeastern.
                      Wait... he still gets to have some fun in the college ranks so hope he makes the most of it.
                      Go Huskies

It has been a pleasure to watch Dylan mature and develop his amazing skating, puck control, passing and shooting skills over the last 4 years. For the past 3 years, he and his linemate Adam Gaudette have both helped each other improve to the point where both have solid NHL potential. They have been as good as or better than any other pairing in NU history and I have seen almost all of them. Along with Nolan Stevens, they are the key links to the two teams bringing home the HE Championship and Beanpot to Huntington Ave. This year it is almost unfair to the rest of the league add Nolan Stevens to this line. To that I say too bad becauase like all other Huskies fans, I thoroughly enjoyed watching this trio score 7 of the 8 NU goals in the huge Beanpot win this year.

Comment

Originally posted by scorer View Post
                        . They have been as good as or better than any other pairing in NU history and I have seen almost all of them. .
                        You are probably right in terms of their skills.

That being said, you are probably not old enough to remember trio made up of Charlie Huck centering LW Jim Martel and RW Dave Sherlock who played for us in the early 70's. Their class was the first to allow freshman to play, but their season were 15% shorter than today's teams play. Unfortunately they were part of a one line team that also lacked much of a D. They also benefitted from far less well coached goaltenders, who wore equipment that be considered to be worthless in today's game.
                        Still, they were the best line in their years in the old ECAC.

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
                          You are probably right in terms of their skills.

That being said, you are probably not old enough to remember trio made up of Charlie Huck centering LW Jim Martel and RW Dave Sherlock who played for us in the early 70's. Their class was the first to allow freshman to play, but their season were 15% shorter than today's teams play. Unfortunately they were part of a one line team that also lacked much of a D. They also benefitted from far less well coached goaltenders, who wore equipment that be considered to be worthless in today's game.
                          Still, they were the best line in their years in the old ECAC.
                          Actually, I did watch all three of them quite a bit in the 70’s. They created excitement whenever they were on the ice. They earned their place at the top of the NU’s all-time scoring leaders. I was thinking of them when I wrote the phrase “as good as” because they are there among the best ever NU forwards. It is very difficult, however, if not impossible to reliably compare players separated by 4 decades.

What also impresses me so much about Sikura and Gaudette and for that matter their new linemate this year Nolan Stevens is that these guys were on teams that won both HE league and Beanpot titles. Along with the other juniors and seniors this year, that is an accomplishment in which they can take great pride, especially when the only other groups of players that can say the same thing were on 1980's teams. But not only did these 3 players put their emphatic stamp on the Beanpot this year but as a freshman and 2 sophs they also played an important role in the HE Championship in 2016. Of the 8 goals scored against BC and Lowell in the Garden semi-final and final games, they accounted for half of them – 2 by N. Stevens who also made the all-tournament team and 2 by Gaudette with Sikura getting assists on both of Gaudette’s goals. If Gaudette returns next year, he is very likely to finish within the top 5 NU scorers or all time.

The other factors were that I think it is harder to score goals in today’s college hockey. The goalies are bigger and their equipment seems to have grown as well over time. Plus, defensive schemes have tightened up. Finally, I have fresher memories of the past few years than I have of the Huck, Martel, and Sherlock line which played so well over 40 years ago.
                          Last edited by scorer; 02-28-2018, 06:34 AM.

Comment

I've filled in my weeks watching quite a few Prep games. it's a strong level of play and with all the schools in the area, there are good games to see most weeks. There's a new website that covered the Preps this year. www.nzprephockey.com is a bit like USCHO for the Preps. The site posted their end of the season awards lists today. It's pretty interesting reading. At the end of the article they list their Top 12 NHL Prospects in Prep. Two of them are future NU commits. D Jayden Struble from St. Sebastiens and D Jordan Harris of Kimball Union Academy.
                            Last edited by PPGuru; 02-27-2018, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Riley Hughes, Sam Colangelo, and Aidan McDonough are all future Huskies also named to something or another in that list.

Comment

Riley Hughes, Sam Colangelo, and Aidan McDonough are all future Huskies also named to something or another in that list.
                                always good to see the local (Mass/ New England) kids.
                                That drives in the families, friends & hopefully more fans to come see the home games. Not to mention that its good from a alumni & long term point of view for the U. as well.. (beyond just the hockey). Good stuff.
                                GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Working...
                                X