Major Junior College Funds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Junior College Funds

Can someone explain to me the issues around the Major Junior college money. I know there are strings attached, but is it really something that can be accessed by the average player. I know this has been discussed before, but I can't remember the details. So what are the plusses and minuses of kids choosing that path.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Re: Major Junior College Funds

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    Can someone explain to me the issues around the Major Junior college money. I know there are strings attached, but is it really something that can be accessed by the average player. I know this has been discussed before, but I can't remember the details. So what are the plusses and minuses of kids choosing that path.
    It's a one-for-one sort of deal: for every year played in a CHL league, you get a year of tuition, fees, books, etc. at a Canadian university. Link: WHL Info, not sure if the Q or the O do the same things.

r

Comment

Money disappears unless you quit hockey a year after junior hockey.
      The Souza record:
      15-16 10th place
      16-17 10th place
      17-18 11th place
      18-19 8th place
      19-20 9th place
      20-21 10th place
      21-22 9th place
      22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
        Money disappears unless you quit hockey a year after junior hockey.
        So if I go to the ECHL or the AHL even, to play for two years after i'm 21,( I think 21 is your last year of junior) then there is no college money in the pot? and what's a year? does it start in January or September or what exactly.?

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
          It's a one-for-one sort of deal: for every year played in a CHL league, you get a year of tuition, fees, books, etc. at a Canadian university. Link: WHL Info, not sure if the Q or the O do the same things.

r
          Also one of my friends kid plays MJ here in the US and he says the US based teams allow kids to use the money for US based colleges.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
            So if I go to the ECHL or the AHL even, to play for two years after i'm 21,( I think 21 is your last year of junior) then there is no college money in the pot? and what's a year? does it start in January or September or what exactly.?
            My personal opinion: If your goal is to play some ECHL or minor league hockey, even AHL hockey, in your 20s, it's better to go play college hockey, get a degree and then after 4-years of the college hockey experience jump to the ECHL or AHL and see how far you can go. At least then, you'll have a college degree to fall back on when you decide to hang 'em up.

If you're a legit NHL prospect the decision is a bit trickier, both are great options to get to the NHL now but major juniors and college hockey offers slightly different experiences to get to the same goal.

Also depending on your age (i.e 15-16), it's my opinion that you don't have to decided MJ or College Hockey right now, go play NAHL/USHL or in the higher level/best scouted CJHL leagues and keep the NCAA eligibility while gaining NCAA DI interest then make an educated decision around 17-18 yrs old.

Comment

Originally posted by sbkbghockey View Post
              My personal opinion: If your goal is to play some ECHL or minor league hockey, even AHL hockey, in your 20s, it's better to go play college hockey, get a degree and then after 4-years of the college hockey experience jump to the ECHL or AHL and see how far you can go. At least then, you'll have a college degree to fall back on when you decide to hang 'em up.

If you're a legit NHL prospect the decision is a bit trickier, both are great options to get to the NHL now but major juniors and college hockey offers slightly different experiences to get to the same goal.

Also depending on your age (i.e 15-16), it's my opinion that you don't have to decided MJ or College Hockey right now, go play NAHL/USHL or in the higher level/best scouted CJHL leagues and keep the NCAA eligibility while gaining NCAA DI interest then make an educated decision around 17-18 yrs old.
              Thats a terrific point, and some have exercised that option.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
              X