X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears 2017/18, Red dawn

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
    Wish I was a younger guy. Looking to SS and medicaire not too far away

I think everyone here understands football, baseball, etc isnt going anywhere soon. Its just talk

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      Im not sure the younger guys on here understand how great baseball was here when Jack Butterfield and then especially under Winkin. Huge crowds for baseball, regionals, Miami playing in Orono, it was a blast.

Sure was. Billy Swift, Mike Bordick and others had great MLB careers, too.

I don't profess to grasp all the ins-and-outs of Title IX, but, if possible, I would ****-can every sport right now aside from hockey, football, baseball on the male side, and just fund hoops, field hockey and (maybe) softball for the women.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
        Sure was. Billy Swift, Mike Bordick and others had great MLB careers, too.

I don't profess to grasp all the ins-and-outs of Title IX, but, if possible, I would ****-can every sport right now aside from hockey, football, baseball on the male side, and just fund hoops, field hockey and (maybe) softball for the women.
        Then you'd have a D-III school because the NCAA mandates at least 15 to be Division I.

Comment

UMass defeats UConn 3-2 to wrap up the Huskies' regular season. They end at 23 points. Maine will need only a tie this weekend to pass UConn. If they remain tied at 23 points, UConn wins. There is still a chance Lowell passes both teams and gets to 24 points and knocks Maine all the way to 7th.

Comment

Im not sure the younger guys on here understand how great baseball was here when Jack Butterfield and then especially under Winkin. Huge crowds for baseball, regionals, Miami playing in Orono, it was a blast.

Evidently I no longer classify as a younger guy. Remember the old field with the Maine State birds. Remember losing to Oklahoma.

Comment

Actually you guys are older than me. I only remember Winkin.

Comment

Ok. So... what is vote now for rookie of the year? Smart money is Swayman. Tralmaks has been stud. For me... I like Keeper. Reminds me of Metcalf as a rookie. Votes?

Comment

I remember going to those games as a youngster, it was great.

Unfortunately, the NCAA now starts the baseball season much earlier, and doesn't have a true Northeast regional anymore. That used to guarantee a New England/New York team a trip to Omaha. Not the levelest playing field if your diamond is under snow until late March.

Comment

BDN: Good article on Fossier

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                      Wish I was a younger guy. Looking to SS and medicaire not too far away

I think everyone here understands football, baseball, etc isnt going anywhere soon. Its just talk
                      I'm a younger guy. Compared to Wally, anyway!
                      bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                      SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                      All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                      A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Congrats to Maine women winning first playoff games today!

Here is a cool video if interested...
                        https://youtu.be/T2V0W7a9IbI

Comment

Originally posted by blacki View Post
                          congrats to maine women winning first playoff games today!

Here is a cool video if interested...
                          https://youtu.be/t2v0w7a9ibi
                          yes indeed..!!!!!!

Comment

The games this weekend are televised on ESPN3. Maine needs a point to secure 6th, two to secure 5th.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                              Then you'd have a D-III school because the NCAA mandates at least 15 to be Division I.
                              Yes, mine was an ignorant post. You got me there.

Having admitted that, I'd be fine with Maine only going D-1 in selected sports, a la RPI, Clarkson and St. Lawrence, though... It strikes me as a great solution to many schools' money-problems vs. being obliged to go D-1 across the board in all sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                                Yes, mine was an ignorant post. You got me there.

Having admitted that, I'd be fine with Maine only going D-1 in selected sports, a la RPI, Clarkson and St. Lawrence, though... It strikes me as a great solution to many schools' money-problems vs. being obliged to go D-1 across the board in all sports.
                                Are there many state flagship schools that aren’t DI? I think it would be a really bad look for the school, especially where they are getting more kids from out of state.
                                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Working...
                                X