X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 17-18 - thread El Segundo

Originally posted by chickod View Post
    It wasn't a huge surprise after Boyle's goal on the giveaway. That was one of those "1-0 game over" type of goals. You could feel the air go out of the BU side of the building. Probably the most deflating goal I can remember other than the 1991 OT loss in the National Championship game to Northern Michigan after McEachern hit the post with a wide open net (and after BU had come from three goals down to take the lead).
    Clearly you've blocked out 2015. When you look up deflating goals in the dictionary, that's the one listed.
    It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
      Clearly you've blocked out 2015.
      No...I just find it difficult to call that a "goal."

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
        BU vs. BC should be a very good game. Woll is hot, and Oettinger had a good bounce back game on Saturday. Both teams were outshot significantly. BU could look to exact a little revenge for last year, when BC pulled off a bit of an upset.

If PC can somehow knock off NU, that would improve BU/BC's chances of winning, IMHO.
        Northeastern is the worst match-up for BU, with a great first line and a strong power play against BU's less-than-mediocre penalty kill. BC and PC are 50/50s. Assuming BU actually comes to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
          I noticed that also, looks like the undersized freshman line is the 3rd choice for most of the game, but the definitive 4th choice when trying to protect a lead late.

Given the personnel available a 4th line that is not a threat to score, but is strong defensively is probably the best option.
          I agree and thought the 4th line played well late in the 3rd period on Friday night. However, I thought that they struggled most of the game Saturday, especially in the second when Coach Quinn took the timeout as well as late in the third.

Sean
          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
          BU Hockey highlights and extras
          NCAA Hockey Financials
          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
            I agree and thought the 4th line played well late in the 3rd period on Friday night. However, I thought that they struggled most of the game Saturday, especially in the second when Coach Quinn took the timeout as well as late in the third.

Sean
            The 4th line worked hard, are okay in their own end. But were awful trying to get the puck out of their own zone.
            UConn took away the boards, and Quinn never adjusted the breakout with them. That is why they had all of those icings.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
              90-91 squad scored second most goals in program history, 234; two less than the '95-'96 team.
              http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...004491991.html
              They also yielded 142 goals, ninth most ever at BU.
              Not to get too nostalgic, but I wish I had watched the 1970-71 team. They had the largest plus goal differential of any BU team at 150, the eighth best goals per game at 6.77, and the fourth lowest goals against per game at 1.94. Add in that they lost only 2 games all year, although one was the ECAC semifinal vs Harvard, and that was one dominant team.

Sean
              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
              BU Hockey highlights and extras
              NCAA Hockey Financials
              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                Here were the results in order:

BC 2-1
                BU 6-2
                BU 4-3 (BC had a 2-0 lead in that one)
                BU 3-2 (Beanpot)
                BU 2-1 OT (Hockey East title game)
                BC 5-0

Really, call the 6-2 game the outlier in BUs favor and the 5-0 one the outlier for BC. While nobody saw 5-0 coming, BC winning that last game really wasn't a huge surprise.
                i just realized i cant count to 6.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                  Northeastern is the worst match-up for BU, with a great first line and a strong power play against BU's less-than-mediocre penalty kill. BC and PC are 50/50s. Assuming BU actually comes to play.
                  NU is a nightmare for BC even though we beat them early in the year. I guess they are the worst match-up for both of us because they're the best team ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                    Not to get too nostalgic, but I wish I had watched the 1970-71 team. They had the largest plus goal differential of any BU team at 150, the eighth best goals per game at 6.77, and the fourth lowest goals against per game at 1.94. Add in that they lost only 2 games all year, although one was the ECAC semifinal vs Harvard, and that was one dominant team.

Sean
                    Best you can do is watch the '71 title game video. 70-71 squad (stats) was easily the most dominant BU team I've observed. The power play produced at 40% with Bob Brown (60 points) and Ric Jordan (50) on the points, Steve Stirling (70), Jake Danby (64) and Bob Gryp (39) up front. They scored eight or more goals ten times, although two of them were against St. Louis University in its first two games ever. Both goalies were exceptional. Dan Brady was M.O.P. of the '71 title game; Tim O'Regan was M.O.P. in the '72 final. The only bad game the team played was at Cornell, a 5-1 loss in which the Lynah Faithful played a big role. Harvard, which BU had beaten in the Beanpot, played a perfect game in the ECAC semi, taking no penalties. BU beat Cornell in the consolation game and got the second Eastern bid due to its best in the country record. The two 4-2 wins in the NCAAs-- versus a huge Denver team full of future NHL and WHA players and Minnesota (with Dean Blais) were pretty methodical.

One more thing: BU was supposed to open WBA that season but a steelworkers' strike slowed construction. BU was able to schedule games at Boston Arena (now Matthews) but not practice time, so each day the team piled into vans and went to practice at Harvard. The season-long inconvenience apparently didn't deter the team.
                    Last edited by Rogie21; 03-13-2018, 12:00 PM.
                    The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                      NU is a nightmare for BC even though we beat them early in the year. I guess they are the worst match-up for both of us because they're the best team ;-)
                      If BU could stay out of the box against NU we'd have a shot, problem is BU can't stay out of the box. The even strength portion of the Beanpot game was not nearly as tilted as the special teams parts.
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                        i just realized i cant count to 6.
                        We all have our crosses to bear.

So there's been some discussion about Albie being one of the potential replacements for Mark Dennehy. Thoughts?

Comment

If Albie is as great as people make him out to be I would stay at BU and wait for a better HC position. No matter how good he is, Merrimack is the toughest job in the league.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            ...Merrimack is the toughest job in the league.
                            Don't tell them that. According to their thread, their facilities are "top rate."

EDIT: Sorry...."First-class by any measure after the recent renovations:"
                            Last edited by chickod; 03-13-2018, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Also, old friend Steve Greeley apparently one of several being considered for Carolina's GM gig. That would be a pretty meteoric rise for him.
                              BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                                Also, old friend Steve Greeley apparently one of several being considered for Carolina's GM gig. That would be a pretty meteoric rise for him.
                                Wishing him nothing but the best, but 2 years with NYR, not even a full year with BUF; doesn't he need a record of achievement to have GM qualifications? Unless, of course, I'm missing something which is always possible.
                                Last edited by buoldtimer; 03-13-2018, 01:59 PM.
                                if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Working...
                                X