World Juniors - Buffalo 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Juniors - Buffalo 2018

The only reason I feel Boston might work is there are several smaller arenas in close proximity where games could be held so you wouldn't have these cavernous arenas with no people in them. I don't see why Canadians wouldn't make the trek here. It's not that far.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
      Oh, come on. Now you are just being a dick.

All I'm saying is Buffalo was not a bad choice. Circumstances this year made it a poor choice for this year. Starve the Golden Horseshoe of this tournament for a number of years, and Buffalo would be a good choice again.

But, it still needs to be near Canada. Detroit is a great option. Seattle might be. North Dakota again would be a great option. I just don't see it working in Pittsburgh (which did bid for it this year) or Tampa (which also bid for it this year). I also don't see it being a success in Boston or the Minneapolis area. Americans alone are just not going to pay the prices they are asking for when they can watch their own NHL team for similar costs. Maybe for the final two days, but that's it.
      I am "being a dick" because you are very defensive of Buffalo and have a truckload of excuses for why the attendance isn't there this year, while at the same time criticizing Minneapolis for poor attendance in friggin 1982, and saying it wouldn't work in Boston either. Put it wherever it works. But that doesn't seem to be Buffalo this year, so I would say try some new spots.

And I am not familiar with the prices, but if that is a problem, then they should quit gouging people. People here in Minnesota paid through the nose for the Ryder Cup, so I think that we could fill a 19,000 seat hockey arena, at least for the games the USA is in, especially given the amount of Minnesotans on the team and how provincial we are.
      Originally posted by SJHovey
      Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
      Originally posted by Brenthoven
      We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
        I am "being a dick" because you are very defensive of Buffalo and have a truckload of excuses for why the attendance isn't there this year, while at the same time criticizing Minneapolis for poor attendance in friggin 1982, and saying it wouldn't work in Boston either. Put it wherever it works. But that doesn't seem to be Buffalo this year, so I would say try some new spots.
        Fair enough.

BTW, I don't consider them excuses. But reasons. This tournament is a very hard sell in America (or anywhere outside Canada). History has proven that. And history has shown the only time it's been successful is when it's held near a Canadian population, and that's not even working this year.

And I am not familiar with the prices, but if that is a problem, then they should quit gouging people. People here in Minnesota paid through the nose for the Ryder Cup, so I think that we could fill a 19,000 seat hockey arena, at least for the games the USA is in, especially given the amount of Minnesotans on the team and how provincial we are.
        Apples and oranges. The Ryder Cup is a massive international event known by many. In fact, It was once held in Rochester, NY and also was very successful.

The WJC is not a massive international event known by many. It's a niche event in a niche sport which only one country cares a heck of a lot about. I doubt even USA games could fill an arena anywhere in the USA unless perhaps (and that's a big perhaps) it's the gold medal game.

You keep looking at the WJC from a hockey diehard's mindset. You can't do that. Go around the office and ask casual hockey fans if they even know about the WJC. Then ask them would they spend $50-60 on a ticket to see one of their games or would they rather spend that much to see their local NHL game.

This is not a big event to most people. Heck, the Frozen Four is even having a hard time selling tickets in St. Paul this year.
        Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 01-03-2018, 10:11 AM.
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          The only reason I feel Boston might work is there are several smaller arenas in close proximity where games could be held so you wouldn't have these cavernous arenas with no people in them. I don't see why Canadians wouldn't make the trek here. It's not that far.
          That was the exact strategy Boston tried when they did host the WJC. Nobody went to the games...

Can Canadians commute on a daily basis? I think that's too far. Last time it was in Buffalo, Canadians were commuting on a daily basis, which is why attendance was so much better in 2011. They didn't just come down for the final two days (which I expect them to do tomorrow and Friday).
          Russell Jaslow

Comment

Here are the ticket prices for the medal round games: http://www.buffaloworldjuniors.com/p...al-round-games

They also still list some other game prices.

I post this so those not knowing what prices are being asked for can now look.

BTW, nobody is sitting in the 300 level so far. If you bought the 300 level, they are immediately upgrading you to the lower level as you walk in, so it looks a little more "full." If I paid prices for the lower level, I'd be ticked.
            Russell Jaslow

Comment

That was the exact strategy Boston tried when they did host the WJC. Nobody went to the games...

Can Canadians commute on a daily basis? I think that's too far. Last time it was in Buffalo, Canadians were commuting on a daily basis, which is why attendance was so much better in 2011. They didn't just come down for the final two days (which I expect them to do tomorrow and Friday).
              But it was also a different tournament in those days. And different times. I think it's worth a shot to try again as, even though it really is for diehards in the US, I think it's more accessible now.

When is it overseas next? How does it do when it's somewhere in Europe?

Comment

But it was also a different tournament in those days. And different times. I think it's worth a shot to try again as, even though it really is for diehards in the US, I think it's more accessible now.

When is it overseas next? How does it do when it's somewhere in Europe?
                2019 -- Vancouver and Victoria
                2020 -- Czech Republic
                2021 -- Canada (exact sites not yet selected)

I do agree times are different now. But, I don't know how much of a difference that will make.
                Russell Jaslow

Comment

USA hosted attendance figures.

1982 (Bloomington, Minneapolis, Duluth as well as Winnipeg (two Canadian games) and Kenora) -- 86,941 (3,105/match)

1989 (Anchorage, Eagle River) -- 45,934 (1,641/match)

1996 (Boston, Amherst, Marlborough) -- no attendance listed other than the comment "Attendance was less than spectacular."

2005 (Grand Forks, Thief River Falls) -- 193,256 (6,234/match)

2011 (Buffalo, Lewiston) -- 329,687 (10,635/match)

2018 (Buffalo after 25 matches) -- 167,784 (6,711 per match)

What do the two highest attended events have in common...? And Buffalo this year still outdoes anyone else not near Canada.
                  Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 01-03-2018, 10:43 AM.
                  Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

1982 (Bloomington, Minneapolis, Duluth as well as Winnipeg (two Canadian games) and Kenora) -- 86,941 (3,105/match)

1996 (Boston, Amherst and Marlborough) -- no attendance listed other than the comment "Attendance was less than spectacular."

What do the two highest attended events have in common...?
                    What is next to the Canadien border Alex
                    Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

1996 (Boston, Amherst, Marlborough) -- no attendance listed other than the comment "Attendance was less than spectacular."

2018 (Buffalo after 25 matches) -- 167,784 (6,711 per match)

What do the two highest attended events have in common...? And Buffalo this year still outdoes anyone else not near Canada.
                      Take away the outdoor game and it’s below the GF numbers.
                      Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

How does it do when it's somewhere in Europe?
                        2016 Finland -- 215,226 (7,174 per match)
                        2014 Sweden -- 144,268 (4,654 per match)
                        2013 Russia -- 110,175 (3,554 per match)

I must admit, those figures are better than I would have thought.
                        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by icehawk View Post
                          Take away the outdoor game and it’s below the GF numbers.
                          Good point. But it does not count the final four games yet, which I would be surprised it they do not attract much larger Canadian crowds.
                          Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by icehawk View Post
                            What is next to the Canadien border Alex
                            Within reasonable driving distance. Sheesh... Do I need to spell everything out for you guys?
                            Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 01-03-2018, 11:14 AM.
                            Russell Jaslow

Comment

Nice win for the boys. Some random thoughts:
                              - As someone mention earlier, Middlestat (sp?) was trying to do to much on his own. Led to some turnovers.
                              - Great cycling overall, especially in the first and down the stretch.
                              - Harper had his best game of the tournament, and it looked like the coaches recognized it and gave him more time. he did miss a golden opportunity to score, though.
                              - I haven't seen Quinn Hughes play outside of this tournament, but I haven't seen as much from him as I thought I would.
                              - Glad to see Bellows having a strong tournament. As a BU fan, I don't begrudge him for leaving for MJ - it was clear that he needed a change.
                              - The play-by-play guy had some trouble matching names and numbers (for the US!) a few times...
                              BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Here are the ticket prices for the medal round games: http://www.buffaloworldjuniors.com/p...al-round-games

They also still list some other game prices.

I post this so those not knowing what prices are being asked for can now look.

BTW, nobody is sitting in the 300 level so far. If you bought the 300 level, they are immediately upgrading you to the lower level as you walk in, so it looks a little more "full." If I paid prices for the lower level, I'd be ticked.
                                Those prices are actually better than I expected. If you can get in the door for $30, there is no excuse for the lower bowl not to be full for that Russia vs USA game last night.
                                Originally posted by SJHovey
                                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Working...
                                X