This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNH Wildcats 2017-2018 Season - The Quest Continues

Purposely ambiguous title, one size fits all.

Umilicats must seek revenge against the Friars.

Re: UNH Wildcats 2017-2018 Season - The Quest Continues

Thanks for starting this Snively65!!!! Well I certainly hope we play better tonight as last night was not a good look. Execution and effort...not there. Lousy penalties. They seemed like strangers to each other. Union Leader story sums it up pretty much if you haven't read it:

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...171209874/1038

Just one of those nights...Mike R made his debute stopping 7 giving up 1. Glad to see him get in there. Bright spot was Velas goal a real beauty. Tough when you get scored on the first min of the game somehow from there I knew it was going to be a struggle. Anyway sorry to start the new thread on a negative note!! We desperately need HE points or it's to the bottom third we go! Today is a new day. Go 'Cats!!
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-02-2017, 07:39 AM.
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      Thanks for starting this Snively65!!!! Well I certainly hope we play better tonight as last night was not a good look. Execution and effort...not there. Lousy penalties. They seemed like strangers to each other. Union Leader story sums it up pretty much if you haven't read it:

Just one of those nights...Mike R made his debute stopping 7 giving up 1. Glad to see him get in there. Bright spot was Velas goal a real beauty. Tough when you get scored on the first min of the game somehow from there I knew it was going to be a struggle. Anyway sorry to start the new thread on a negative note!! We desperately need HE points or it's to the bottom third we go! Today is a new day. Go 'Cats!!
      You are welcome; "I am just here to help," to quote one of our other long timers. I think that there is a lot to like about this team. If they can stay healthy, and not quit in the clubhouse before playing out the back nine a la our three heroes from last summer, we should be fine.

Now, about SOG. The box score for the Bentley-AIC game in Springfield last night makes one think that Chuck might be onto something.
      Last edited by Snively65; 12-02-2017, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Disagree. It isn't tough, it is BS, especially when you give up 2 more first/last minute goals. (((Maybe)) they get a pass on the first one as the Friday trek to Providence is as bad as any HEA one game commute. Hoping Fregona and Cefalu skate tonight.
        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
          Disagree. It isn't tough, it is BS, especially when you give up 2 more first/last minute goals. (((Maybe)) they get a pass on the first one as the Friday trek to Providence is as bad as any HEA one game commute. Hoping Fregona and Cefalu skate tonight.
          Well good, glad someone can call it what it is then. Don't hold your breath on Fregona/Cefalu...when you're out...you're out. And I'm not happy about that. Why they aren't in that line up I will never know. I will say Sato brings a lot of energy out there and he will be a great hockey play (IMHO). The chemistry out there is questionable. When Fregona/Cefalu play together, something clicks. Same with the BvR, Blackburn and Grasso line. I dunno; I need to stop here or I will not be very charitable.
          Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-02-2017, 08:22 AM.
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Well good, glad someone can call it what it is then. Don't hold your breath on Fregona/Cefalu...when you're out...you're out. And I'm not happy about that. Why they aren't in that line up I will never know. I will say Sato brings a lot of energy out there and he will be a great hockey play (IMHO). The chemistry out there is questionable. When Fregona/Cefalu play together, something clicks. Same with the BvR, Blackburn and Grasso line. I dunno; I need to stop here or I will not be very charitable.
            +1

I'm not much in the giving mood right now either. Cautiously optimistic for tonight though.
            I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

With the closing of the last thread, kudos to Snively65 for getting this one up and running, and props for including reference to the one and only REAL thing we're likely to ever remember this season for - yes, the Quest or March or Whatever this may turn into by the end of February/early March. More on that later. Anyway, as promised, I'm just going to jump in here mid-weekend and update things for college hockey universe, which stands transfixed with gazes directed towards Durham NH and "The Long Goodbye" that currently looms over the storied UNH Men's Hockey program. Your friends at WIS ponder existential issuex in this "How Can We Miss You, When You Won't Go Away?" edition of "Umile's Last Stand - The _____ for 600".

"Umile's Last Stand - The March to 600"

Coach Umile's current career wins total: 593
              Wins Remaining to NRN (Next Round Number): 7
              Games Remaining (plus 2 min. MBPBEGAM games): 23
              Win Pct. Required to Hit Target: 30.4%
              WIS Estimated Likelihood of Success: 80%
              2017/2018 Cupcake Conversion Ratio (CCR): 4/6 (66.7%)

So two games into the current three game stretch, Coach Umile's program has nudged the W column one more important step closer to the NRN. The win over the "other" UNH (University of New Haven @ Yale) last weekend was important, only to convert a winnable game into a, y'know ... a win. With that done, this weekend's home-and-home against PC has become the latest test of whether UNH (the real one) can hang with a top echelon Hockey East team once they're out of preseason mode (see opening UML series). The answer to the first half of the exam was frankly an outright failure (as in "F") and that leaves us to hope that *maybe* PC will be a little overconfident tonight. The debut of Mike Robinson in a relief role last night was an interesting diversion, if nothing else. Otherwise, from the bits and pieces of video I saw from last night's game, it looks like UNH just couldn't match up to PC's skill level, much as UNH fell short of BC's skill level weekend before last. And while on the issue of "skills" ... oh my god, the UNH radio play-by-play guy is terrible. He's no Dan Parkhurst or Dick Osborne.

Looking at the big picture ... WIS' panel of experts projected in the preseason that Coach Umile's Wildcats would amass at least 10 wins in the opening 19 game stretch of the season through completion of the Ledyard Bank Classic after the break and before we turn the calendar into 2018. UNH started the weekend at #13 in the polls, and after last night's loss they stand at a 7-5-1 record, which probably has them at two games ahead of WIS projections. Once we resolve this current Providence issue, there's a lot of opportunities knocking, and 12 wins at New Year's Day is hardly out of the question. I do want to point out the WIS predictions from before the Yale game, as it's pretty clear the panel is channeling some really quality prognosticating vibe right now - although a little askew on dates this weekend - so look for your UNH Wildcats to emerge from tonight's rematch with a 2-2 tie - nothing for the Coach and his NRN, but a confidence builder at a key juncture.

Predictions:

LAST Saturday: UNH 4 @ Yale 1
              Friday Saturday: UNH 2 @ Providence 2
              Saturday Friday: Providence 5 @ UNH 2

NEXT CUPCAKE ON THE SHELF: 12/6/17 @ RPI

WIS CONTEST - GUESS THE DATE COACH HITS THE NRN!!!

There is it, simple as that. WIS predicted at the start of the season that Coach Umile would reach the hallowed NRN on February 3rd at home against UMass Flagship. I'll stick with that prediction, just to be a sport about it. So ... pick your date for when Coach Umile's great achievement will be reached, or be that person who tinkles in the punch bowl, and predict he'll still come up short somehow. The winner gets the Steve "Count" Cedorchuk Memorial room & board scholarship at BC, and at UMaine's reduced out-of-state, in-state tuition rates. Now there's an offer that's going to be hard to beat. Got at it folks!!!

WIS INITIATIVE - "WATCH THE FACTS" - COMING SOON!!

WIS operatives have been out and about in the world of college hockey, in search of the truth amidst false narratives and hidden agendas at the highest levels, on and off the ice. The first target of our Watch The Facts hit squad will be the monolith along the shores of scenic Lake Quannapowitt, where the forces of political correctness have taken ahold. Watch this space for the incredible disclosures as they unfold.

GO UNH - GOT TO GET THE GOODBYE TOUR TO THE GAHDEN!!!
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                With the closing of the last thread, kudos to Snively65 for getting this one up and running, and props for including reference to the one and only REAL thing we're likely to ever remember this season for - yes, the Quest or March or Whatever this may turn into by the end of February/early March. More on that later. Anyway, as promised, I'm just going to jump in here mid-weekend and update things for college hockey universe, which stands transfixed with gazes directed towards Durham NH and "The Long Goodbye" that currently looms over the storied UNH Men's Hockey program. Your friends at WIS ponder existential issuex in this "How Can We Miss You, When You Won't Go Away?" edition of "Umile's Last Stand - The _____ for 600".

"Umile's Last Stand - The March to 600"

Coach Umile's current career wins total: 593
                Wins Remaining to NRN (Next Round Number): 7
                Games Remaining (plus 2 min. MBPBEGAM games): 23
                Win Pct. Required to Hit Target: 30.4%
                WIS Estimated Likelihood of Success: 80%
                2017/2018 Cupcake Conversion Ratio (CCR): 4/6 (66.7%)

So two games into the current three game stretch, Coach Umile's program has nudged the W column one more important step closer to the NRN. The win over the "other" UNH (University of New Haven @ Yale) last weekend was important, only to convert a winnable game into a, y'know ... a win. With that done, this weekend's home-and-home against PC has become the latest test of whether UNH (the real one) can hang with a top echelon Hockey East team once they're out of preseason mode (see opening UML series). The answer to the first half of the exam was frankly an outright failure (as in "F") and that leaves us to hope that *maybe* PC will be a little overconfident tonight. The debut of Mike Robinson in a relief role last night was an interesting diversion, if nothing else. Otherwise, from the bits and pieces of video I saw from last night's game, it looks like UNH just couldn't match up to PC's skill level, much as UNH fell short of BC's skill level weekend before last. And while on the issue of "skills" ... oh my god, the UNH radio play-by-play guy is terrible. He's no Dan Parkhurst or Dick Osborne.

Looking at the big picture ... WIS' panel of experts projected in the preseason that Coach Umile's Wildcats would amass at least 10 wins in the opening 19 game stretch of the season through completion of the Ledyard Bank Classic after the break and before we turn the calendar into 2018. UNH started the weekend at #13 in the polls, and after last night's loss they stand at a 7-5-1 record, which probably has them at two games ahead of WIS projections. Once we resolve this current Providence issue, there's a lot of opportunities knocking, and 12 wins at New Year's Day is hardly out of the question. I do want to point out the WIS predictions from before the Yale game, as it's pretty clear the panel is channeling some really quality prognosticating vibe right now - although a little askew on dates this weekend - so look for your UNH Wildcats to emerge from tonight's rematch with a 2-2 tie - nothing for the Coach and his NRN, but a confidence builder at a key juncture.

Predictions:

LAST Saturday: UNH 4 @ Yale 1
                Friday Saturday: UNH 2 @ Providence 2
                Saturday Friday: Providence 5 @ UNH 2

NEXT CUPCAKE ON THE SHELF: 12/6/17 @ RPI

WIS CONTEST - GUESS THE DATE COACH HITS THE NRN!!!

There is it, simple as that. WIS predicted at the start of the season that Coach Umile would reach the hallowed NRN on February 3rd at home against UMass Flagship. I'll stick with that prediction, just to be a sport about it. So ... pick your date for when Coach Umile's great achievement will be reached, or be that person who tinkles in the punch bowl, and predict he'll still come up short somehow. The winner gets the Steve "Count" Cedorchuk Memorial room & board scholarship at BC, and at UMaine's reduced out-of-state, in-state tuition rates. Now there's an offer that's going to be hard to beat. Got at it folks!!!

WIS INITIATIVE - "WATCH THE FACTS" - COMING SOON!!

WIS operatives have been out and about in the world of college hockey, in search of the truth amidst false narratives and hidden agendas at the highest levels, on and off the ice. The first target of our Watch The Facts hit squad will be the monolith along the shores of scenic Lake Quannapowitt, where the forces of political correctness have taken ahold. Watch this space for the incredible disclosures as they unfold.

GO UNH - GOT TO GET THE GOODBYE TOUR TO THE GAHDEN!!!
                Funny you should mention the broadcast guys; I was standing watching the warm up and someone came up to me and said "we could use Kevin Goumas' scoring touch tonight". (was wearing my jersey) Turns out it was Pete Webster...he's from Gilford and we chatted about his days with Dan and his induction into our high school HOF a couple of years ago. I haven't really listened to any of the broadcasts as I'm normally at a game but I do miss Dan's presence as he usually put out UNH lines on Twitter and really was the voice of UNH hockey.
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                  Goals allowed within the first and last minutes of a period are a cardinal sin. UNH gave up three of those last night. Have to be ready to play from the opening whistle tonight.

Comment

Just checking on the broadcast schedule off the UNH website, it shows that the game will be airing on ESPN 3 and TSN Go, yet I check the listings for both channels online and see that it is not on it. Any idea? Just want to catch the game as I am ways away. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by WarHog89 View Post
                      Just checking on the broadcast schedule off the UNH website, it shows that the game will be airing on ESPN 3 and TSN Go, yet I check the listings for both channels online and see that it is not on it. Any idea? Just want to catch the game as I am ways away. Thanks!
                      It is on ESPN3. Just type in "hockey" in the search field and it will show up in upcoming events.

Comment

Funny you should mention the broadcast guys; I was standing watching the warm up and someone came up to me and said "we could use Kevin Goumas' scoring touch tonight". (was wearing my jersey) Turns out it was Pete Webster...he's from Gilford and we chatted about his days with Dan and his induction into our high school HOF a couple of years ago. I haven't really listened to any of the broadcasts as I'm normally at a game but I do miss Dan's presence as he usually put out UNH lines on Twitter and really was the voice of UNH hockey.
                        Pete continues to be a terrific color guy/analyst/whatever the 2nd guy is called these days.

Unfortunately he's left to cover for a guy who sounds like he would be out of his depth doing play-by-play for the in-between periods Mites' scrimmage. Had to listen last night on my way home from the office. It was rough. He was usually at least a player behind (with many outright omissions), very little sense of anticipation of what was happening, and was mega-late on virtually all of the goals. I honestly don't even know who it is, and it's nothing personal, but the kids who used to do the calls for the student radio station a few years ago did a better job than this latest guy, and they were admittedly amateurs. He was terrible. Whatever Mr. P-B-P is getting paid, it's too much.

Small example of a genuine nugget of top performance/wisdom from last night's game ...

(smattering of visiting applause) ... over to Vela who SCORES! That cuts the UNH deficit in half to 4-2!
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Huge upset win for the UNH Football team. 21-15 over UCA in Arkansas. Coach McDonnell's 150th win.

It would be sweet if the hockey team could follow suit!
                          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                            Huge upset win for the UNH Football team. 21-15 over UCA in Arkansas. Coach McDonnell's 150th win.

I assumed UNH avoided James Madison, while a 9-2 Stony Brook (who beat UNH) was placed in the Harrisonburg bracket because SBU and JMU had not played in the regular season. But next week's opponent SDSU beat Northern Iowa in the second round after facing them during the regular season...

Schedule makers everywhere doing their best for the Wildcats this year!!

#ScheduleMakers4MVP
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post

Can we get Coach Mac to coach the hockey team when they get to the playoffs?
                              Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Working...
                              X