Utica College 2017-2018 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utica College 2017-2018 season

Hello UC fans, and haters, too. I hope you'll all weigh-in here, or maybe just the former group.

Anyhoo, we had quite a struggle to buy and receive our season tickets. They were happy to take my money, yet the communication was poor, at best... Months later, I heard from them. Lousy customer service, to be polite.

But, if you bought them, they'll be available at the Oriskany St. box office from Monday through Wednesday.

I haven't paid much attention to recruiting, but I'm sure some of you have. UC is returning some serious talent, but there were gaps to be filled...

Re: Utica College 2017-2018 season

Where were the gaps? Forward? Defense?

Comment

A bit of each IMO, but nothing too dire.

Heenan got too cute with his "systems" in mid-season, which derailed a hot start. Had he refrained from fixing something that wasn't broken, UC would have made the NCAAs. His disproportionate ego has been an issue for years now.
      Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-20-2017, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Here's some pre-season info I compiled from a number of sources

Code:
        ARRIVALS:               CL GM  G  A PTS AGE     HOMETOWN                HGT     WGT    SH LAST TEAM
        Conor Landrigan (F)	Fr 45 52-70-122  21	New Tripoli, PA, USA	6'0"	185	L Binghamton Jr Senators (NA3HL)
        Brett Everson (C)	Fr 59 17-53-70   21	Mississauga, ON, CAN	5'11"	181	L Hawkesbury Hawks (CCHL)
        Jamie Bucell (F)	Fr 48 22-28-50   21	Garfield Heights, OH,	5'11"	185	R Philadelphia Little Flyers (EHL)
        Vaden McManus (D)	Fr 40 09-31-40   21	Fayetteville, NC, USA	5'10"	170	R Hampton Roads Whalers Elite (USPHL)
        Josh Haskin (F)		Fr 43 09-26-35   21	Albany, NY, USA		5'9"	179	R PAL Jr Islanders Premier (USPHL)
        Tyler Pietrowski (F)	Fr 58 15-15-30   21	Curtice, OH, USA	6'2"	185	R Odessa Jackalopes (NAHL)
        Hunter Gunski (D)	Fr 49 02-10-12   21	Goffstown, NH, USA	6'5"	209	L Wellington Dukes (OJHL)
        Brandon Young (D)	Fr 48 02-09-11   20	Muskegon, MI, USA	6’4”	195	R Johnstown Tomahawks (NAHL)
        Gregg Burmaster (F)	Jr 07 01-00-01   22	Clinton, NY, USA	6’0”	185	L Colorado College (NCAA D-I)
        Daniel Fritz (D)	So 00 00-00-00   22	Harwood, MD, USA	6’2”	195	L Canisius College (NCAA D-I)

DEPARTURES:
        Kevin Kirisits (D)	Graduated
        Luc Boby (F)		Graduated
        Easton Powers (F)	Graduated
        Connor Schmidt (D)	Graduated
        Corey Simic (G)		Sr
        Kollin Schultz (D)	Sr
        Max Bartell (F)		Sr
        Alex Brisette (F)	Sr
        Riley Egan (F)		Sr
        Alex Roberts (F)	Jr
        Nick Grose (D)		So - Ohio U (ACHA)

FUN FACT:
        Fan fave Louis Educate (’15) hired as asst. coach, joins Adam Dekker (’08) as former player asst. coaches

Comment

Originally posted by jcase View Post
          Here's some pre-season info I compiled from a number of sources

Code:
          ARRIVALS:               CL GM  G  A PTS AGE     HOMETOWN                HGT     WGT    SH LAST TEAM
          Conor Landrigan (F)	Fr 45 52-70-122  21	New Tripoli, PA, USA	6'0"	185	L Binghamton Jr Senators (NA3HL)
          Brett Everson (C)	Fr 59 17-53-70   21	Mississauga, ON, CAN	5'11"	181	L Hawkesbury Hawks (CCHL)
          Jamie Bucell (F)	Fr 48 22-28-50   21	Garfield Heights, OH,	5'11"	185	R Philadelphia Little Flyers (EHL)
          Vaden McManus (D)	Fr 40 09-31-40   21	Fayetteville, NC, USA	5'10"	170	R Hampton Roads Whalers Elite (USPHL)
          Josh Haskin (F)		Fr 43 09-26-35   21	Albany, NY, USA		5'9"	179	R PAL Jr Islanders Premier (USPHL)
          Tyler Pietrowski (F)	Fr 58 15-15-30   21	Curtice, OH, USA	6'2"	185	R Odessa Jackalopes (NAHL)
          Hunter Gunski (D)	Fr 49 02-10-12   21	Goffstown, NH, USA	6'5"	209	L Wellington Dukes (OJHL)
          Brandon Young (D)	Fr 48 02-09-11   20	Muskegon, MI, USA	6’4”	195	R Johnstown Tomahawks (NAHL)
          Gregg Burmaster (F)	Jr 07 01-00-01   22	Clinton, NY, USA	6’0”	185	L Colorado College (NCAA D-I)
          Daniel Fritz (D)	So 00 00-00-00   22	Harwood, MD, USA	6’2”	195	L Canisius College (NCAA D-I)

DEPARTURES:
          Kevin Kirisits (D)	Graduated
          Luc Boby (F)		Graduated
          Easton Powers (F)	Graduated
          Connor Schmidt (D)	Graduated
          Corey Simic (G)		Sr
          Kollin Schultz (D)	Sr
          Max Bartell (F)		Sr
          Alex Brisette (F)	Sr
          Riley Egan (F)		Sr
          Alex Roberts (F)	Jr
          Nick Grose (D)		So - Ohio U (ACHA)

FUN FACT:
          Fan fave Louis Educate (’15) hired as asst. coach, joins Adam Dekker (’08) as former player asst. coaches
          They were all fun facts! Thanks for taking the time to post the informative synopsis. Good stuff.

Landrigan, McManus and Bucell look to have solid pedigrees vs. quality Junior competition... (And they are all just fresh-faced kids -age 21- which validates D-3's sanctimonious facade regarding sports. )

Having said that, UC returns the excellent Virtanen in net, and the bulk of its scoring from a '16-'17 team that could finish at the net.

Looking forward to a solid campaign this season, as long as you-know-who doesn't outsmart himself yet again.
          Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-23-2017, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            They were all fun facts! Thanks for taking the time to post the informative synopsis. Good stuff.

Landrigan, McManus and Bucell look to have solid pedigrees vs. quality Junior competition... (And they are all just fresh-faced kids -age 21- which validates D-3's sanctimonious facade regarding sports. )

Having said that, UC returns the excellent Virtanen in net, and the bulk of its scoring from a '16-'17 team that could finish at the net.

Looking forward to a solid campaign this season, as long as you-know-who doesn't outsmart himself yet again.
            Not saying he will not be a god player,BUT Landrigan played in a very sub-par,to be nice,jr. league.NA3HL

Comment

Excited for the season to get going, and I agree with the whole season ticket waiting game. Glad I finally got them last night, now the hard part, waiting for Friday begins lol. That aside, interested to see the new guys play, definitely added more size. Hoping they can build off of the hot start last year and keep that rolling the whole year. Almost forgot about the new conference, looking forward to facing the new teams. Also excited to see the improvements to the Aud, I took a look outside last night at the new addition. Looks really nice from what I could see and it almost looks like they created a plaza-like area over there now. Hope the upcoming season goes well for all.
              Utica Pioneers Hockey
              2012-13 Frozen Four Semi-Finalist
              2017-18, 2018-19, 2019-20 UCHC Regular Season Champs
              2017-18 UCHC Tournament Champions
              2019-20 UCHC Tournament Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                Not saying he will not be a god player,BUT Landrigan played in a very sub-par,to be nice,jr. league.NA3HL

The NA3HL is ranked as high as 3rd among the American Junior leagues based on my research -as far as recent NCAA placements go- but the rankings of Junior leagues are all over the map. (I don't pretend to know anything about those leagues. Just Googled the subject and hoped for the best.)

But, yes, If he'd put-up those kind of numbers in the USPHL, I'd be wondering why he isn't playing D-1... Guess we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                  The NA3HL is ranked as high as 3rd among the American Junior leagues based on my research -as far as recent NCAA placements go- but the rankings of Junior leagues are all over the map. (I don't pretend to know anything about those leagues. Just Googled the subject and hoped for the best.)

But, yes, If he'd put-up those kind of numbers in the USPHL, I'd be wondering why he isn't playing D-1... Guess we'll see.
                  NA3HL I doubt is 3rd as far as jr leagues go,but what the heck I wish the kid the best...p.s. if he put up those #'s in the USPHL he would go straight to the NHL

Comment

Encouraging that Utica tied last year's NCAA Quarter Finalist Endicott 3-3 in Beverly, MA on Saturday. The Gulls have 10 D-I transfers and another from Plattsburgh on their roster.

3 Pioneer Frosh, Landrigan (1G), Everson (1G) and Bucell (1A) hit the scoresheet along with Derlago who added 1G and 2A. Ammirato had the other helper. Netminders Virtanen (14SV, 1GA), Baggetta (10SV) and Dill (15SV, 2GA) each played a period.

Comment

Was that a scrimmage ?
                      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                        Was that a scrimmage ?
                        It was indeed!

Comment

Encouraging that Utica tied last year's NCAA Quarter Finalist Endicott 3-3 in Beverly, MA on Saturday. The Gulls have 10 D-I transfers and another from Plattsburgh on their roster.

3 Pioneer Frosh, Landrigan (1G), Everson (1G) and Bucell (1A) hit the scoresheet along with Derlago who added 1G and 2A. Ammirato had the other helper. Netminders Virtanen (14SV, 1GA), Baggetta (10SV) and Dill (15SV, 2GA) each played a period.
                          Endicott likes to pump up the shot totals at home.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Wasn't aware that Utica had that scrimmage scheduled. One would have to hope that Virtanen might have sealed the deal, if he'd been in net all night.

Comment

Nice weekend!

Saw both games. UC skated circles around Fredonia, but Cortland is a fast team that might well surprise a lot of people down the road. They kept-up well.

Virtanen looked a little off his game both nights, but was good enough vs. who he played. He'll need to step it up when he faces Endicott, Adrian, Oswego, and the like.

The Freshmen look pretty good, but not spectacular. Pietrowski impressed me the most, but Landrigan has a noticeable set of hands.

Bottom-line: this is another Utica team that can fly, and this one appears to be able to translate that speed into goals.

(So far, anyway... But they were a blast to watch over the weekend.)

Comment

Working...
                              X