PDA

View Full Version : Oakland U Exploring Addition of Men's and Women's Hockey

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Spartanforlife4
10-16-2017, 05:04 PM
It appears Oakland was one of the schools chosen by the NHL for a hockey study (http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/2017/10/16/oakland-explores-adding-di-mens-womens-hockey/106716122/), with the Red Wings giving them some support.

An interesting choice. I figured, like many probably did, a lot of these feasibility studies would revolve around Power 5 schools. Metro Detroit has a big population, and I gotta wonder if them being a non-football school played a part. Hockey would compete with the somewhat popular basketball program, but every school has to deal with that. With Illinois and Oakland now out there, that leaves three schools that the NHL gave funds to study starting a program.

The article mentions the need to find a conference, but they would be squarely in the WCHA's footprint. Only a two hour drive from BG and three from Big Rapids.

Wisko McBadgerton
10-16-2017, 05:13 PM
I have always thought it a disgrace that Hockey people at Michigan and Michigan St. could not get a women's D-1 program off the ground.

To be fair though, lately they're having problems getting a Men's D-1 program off the ground.

Critical Thinker
10-16-2017, 05:14 PM
The article mentions the need to find a conference, but they would be squarely in the WCHA's footprint. Only a two hour drive from BG and three from Big Rapids.

Everyone is in your footprint when you comprise 2/3 of North America.

Critical Thinker
10-16-2017, 05:31 PM
Article from the NHL: https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/oakland-university-becomes-second-us-collegiate-institution-to-receive-funding-for-ncaa-feasibility-study/c-291986646

joecct
10-16-2017, 06:35 PM
And another article:

http://mihockeynow.com/2017/10/hockey-leaders-exploring-possibility-of-mens-womens-ncaa-d-1-hockey-at-oakland-university/

Wayne State redux?

4four4
10-16-2017, 06:50 PM
Illinois and Oakland now out there, that leaves three schools that the NHL gave funds to study starting a program.

NDSU, Iowa State, and Rutgers.

davyd83
10-16-2017, 08:14 PM
Where would they play? Lakeland Arena in Waterford, 20-25 minutes from campus in good traffic?

Wisko McBadgerton
10-16-2017, 09:41 PM
Where would they play? Lakeland Arena in Waterford, 20-25 minutes from campus in good traffic?

I believe the Club team plays at Onyx which is just a few miles east of campus. Probably 10-15 rows of seating along one side of the ice. Could do it I suppose, but not ideal.

BGDrew
10-16-2017, 09:47 PM
I believe the Club team plays at Onyx which is just a few miles east of campus. Probably 10-15 rows of seating along one side of the ice. Could do it I suppose, but not ideal.

The Onyx only seats 250 so a new arena would need to be built. But, they could probably make a nice sum selling ice time in that area with an on-campus rink.

mookie1995
10-16-2017, 10:13 PM
That's a long flight to Cali for a weekend of hockey At least ASU has nice weather

northeastern
10-16-2017, 10:19 PM
That's a long flight to Cali for a weekend of hockey At least ASU has nice weather

mookie.. i think this oakland university is in michigan..

there.. i helped you with the distance. not so much the weather :)

FadeToBlack&Gold
10-16-2017, 10:43 PM
Did my Master's there. Would love a program in my backyard, but I am not holding my breath.

samboni
10-16-2017, 10:54 PM
The feasibility study is easy. Is there a Terry Pegula type willing to pony up $80-100 million? If not, the study and the idea ends. Hate to be so blunt, but that is what it takes.

Critical Thinker
10-16-2017, 11:05 PM
The feasibility study is easy. Is there a Terry Pegula type willing to pony up $80-100 million? If not, the study and the idea ends. Hate to be so blunt, but that is what it takes.

Could they get a donation from the Ilitch family? They just gave a boat load to Wayne State for their business program before Mike's passing. I wouldn't think it's beyond the realm of possibility for the family to donate to a cause like this. Still, $30 million is a lot, and that doesn't include an arena.

FlagDUDE08
10-17-2017, 06:28 AM
The Onyx only seats 250 so a new arena would need to be built. But, they could probably make a nice sum selling ice time in that area with an on-campus rink.

It'd work well for the women's team, and maybe temporary men's home, similar to when Quinnipiac built a new arena when they joined the ECAC.

FlagDUDE08
10-17-2017, 06:29 AM

Funny thing is, I thought the same thing at first.

alfablue
10-17-2017, 06:39 AM

For a 4000 seat arena? No way. Maybe if you want a B1G style new rink. But not for a smaller school like Oakland.

Heck, they can get much of the hand me down equipment from the Palace of Auburn Hills, if they want.

joecct
10-17-2017, 08:00 AM
For a 4000 seat arena? No way. Maybe if you want a B1G style new rink. But not for a smaller school like Oakland.

Heck, they can get much of the hand me down equipment from the Palace of Auburn Hills, if they want.

If the 5 happen, Rutgers and Illinois to the B1G. But where do the other 3 end up? Will common sense, rather than greed move the next realignment?

AMC
10-17-2017, 08:32 AM
Could they get a donation from the Ilitch family? They just gave a boat load to Wayne State for their business program before Mike's passing. I wouldn't think it's beyond the realm of possibility for the family to donate to a cause like this. Still, $30 million is a lot, and that doesn't include an arena.

Charitable donations are helpful with estate taxes. Timing of Ilitch's passing, the Red Wings involvement, and the feasibility study could be non-coincidental.

alfablue
10-17-2017, 08:53 AM
Charitable donations are helpful with estate taxes. Timing of Ilitch's passing, the Red Wings involvement, and the feasibility study could be non-coincidental.

The Illitch family would be more likely to support Wayne State directly. Ties are closer there.

But the combination of the Red Wings makes it a little different.

While it's cool that OU was chosen, it's odd that WSU was not- they are right down town, they had a D1 hockey program at one point, and already compete with other WCHA teams for other sports. Whereas none of OU's conference, the Horizon League- play hockey.

Good for OU, no doubt. Just odd.