Oakland U Exploring Addition of Men's and Women's Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oakland U Exploring Addition of Men's and Women's Hockey

It appears Oakland was one of the schools chosen by the NHL for a hockey study, with the Red Wings giving them some support.

An interesting choice. I figured, like many probably did, a lot of these feasibility studies would revolve around Power 5 schools. Metro Detroit has a big population, and I gotta wonder if them being a non-football school played a part. Hockey would compete with the somewhat popular basketball program, but every school has to deal with that. With Illinois and Oakland now out there, that leaves three schools that the NHL gave funds to study starting a program.

The article mentions the need to find a conference, but they would be squarely in the WCHA's footprint. Only a two hour drive from BG and three from Big Rapids.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Re: Oakland U Exploring Addition of Men's and Women's Hockey

I have always thought it a disgrace that Hockey people at Michigan and Michigan St. could not get a women's D-1 program off the ground.

To be fair though, lately they're having problems getting a Men's D-1 program off the ground.
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
      The article mentions the need to find a conference, but they would be squarely in the WCHA's footprint. Only a two hour drive from BG and three from Big Rapids.
      Everyone is in your footprint when you comprise 2/3 of North America.
      BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

Article from the NHL: https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/oa...dy/c-291986646
        BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

And another article:

http://mihockeynow.com/2017/10/hocke...nd-university/

Wayne State redux?
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
            Illinois and Oakland now out there, that leaves three schools that the NHL gave funds to study starting a program.
            NDSU, Iowa State, and Rutgers.
            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Where would they play? Lakeland Arena in Waterford, 20-25 minutes from campus in good traffic?
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                Where would they play? Lakeland Arena in Waterford, 20-25 minutes from campus in good traffic?
                I believe the Club team plays at Onyx which is just a few miles east of campus. Probably 10-15 rows of seating along one side of the ice. Could do it I suppose, but not ideal.
                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                Originally posted by Timothy A
                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                  I believe the Club team plays at Onyx which is just a few miles east of campus. Probably 10-15 rows of seating along one side of the ice. Could do it I suppose, but not ideal.
                  The Onyx only seats 250 so a new arena would need to be built. But, they could probably make a nice sum selling ice time in that area with an on-campus rink.
                  Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

That's a long flight to Cali for a weekend of hockey At least ASU has nice weather
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                      That's a long flight to Cali for a weekend of hockey At least ASU has nice weather
                      mookie.. i think this oakland university is in michigan..

there.. i helped you with the distance. not so much the weather
                      GO NU HOCKEY
                      Always bullish on the future.
                      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Did my Master's there. Would love a program in my backyard, but I am not holding my breath.

Comment

The feasibility study is easy. Is there a Terry Pegula type willing to pony up $80-100 million? If not, the study and the idea ends. Hate to be so blunt, but that is what it takes.

Comment

Originally posted by samboni View Post
                            The feasibility study is easy. Is there a Terry Pegula type willing to pony up $80-100 million? If not, the study and the idea ends. Hate to be so blunt, but that is what it takes.
                            Could they get a donation from the Ilitch family? They just gave a boat load to Wayne State for their business program before Mike's passing. I wouldn't think it's beyond the realm of possibility for the family to donate to a cause like this. Still, $30 million is a lot, and that doesn't include an arena.
                            BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                              The Onyx only seats 250 so a new arena would need to be built. But, they could probably make a nice sum selling ice time in that area with an on-campus rink.
                              It'd work well for the women's team, and maybe temporary men's home, similar to when Quinnipiac built a new arena when they joined the ECAC.

Comment

Working...
                              X