Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
    Who said anything ... ANYTHING ... about not liking the rule?
    Colonel Mustard, with a MAC, on the toilet!
    RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

• Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
      Bingo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
        Now I'm confused.

I was going to say anyone who vehemently disagrees with my interpretation of the play. Maybe all the corner crew and Pep band that flipped off the refs on there way out last night. I mean seriously what the crew gets away with and what they get yelled at for is just hilarious.

I mean I am saying that I appreciate anyone feeling frustrated and I love to hear a theory that holds water on why that should have been a goal. But I do not believe one exists.

For the record I have no idea on what Ed opinion is on if it should have been a goal or not. He kind of implied something and toed the line. And after 19 Seasons I don't think there any question on my state of mind. It's pretty much a lost cause... [emoji16]
        Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
        The Mule
        Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

• Looks like this as jf posted

RIT loss, Army win, Air Force tie: RIT finishes 6th, will host Sacred Heart in round 1, will visit Holy Cross in round 2 if they advance
          RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

• Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
            Looks like this as jf posted

RIT loss, Army win, Air Force tie: RIT finishes 6th, will host Sacred Heart in round 1, will visit Holy Cross in round 2 if they advance
            Sacred Heart won’t be a cakewalk. They’re chippy and I watched them tonight try to get under the skin of the cadets. West Point though stayed disciplined and their skill players got the job done against the Pioneers. The Tigers better come to play at the drop of the puck to avoid a repeat of last year. On another note I’m getting tired of seeing other teams celebrate on the GPC ice. Maybe just me but I don’t recall if the Ritter was ever such a welcoming environment for the Tiger opponents. Opposing teams seem to get up for playing at the GPC while they dreaded playing at the Ritter. No chance that we could change venues for next weekend?
            Last edited by Downstate_RIT_Fan; 02-24-2018, 10:02 PM.
            RPI Engineers
            RIT Tigers
            ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Let's switch to a happy note. Congrats to Miles Powell on career point 100.
              2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
              2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
              2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
              2010 Frozen Four participant
              2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

• Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                Let's switch to a happy note. Congrats to Miles Powell on career point 100.
                Yes very happy to see that. Hope he rings up more in the upcoming playoffs.
                RPI Engineers
                RIT Tigers
                ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Spin the goalie wheel again. I don't think I've ever seen a goalie off his angle as Drackett was on the 2nd Mercyhurst goal. That was not an impressive performance overall. I don't know if you go back to Short or go to Andriano for the playoffs, but I would be pretty surprised if they stay with Drackett.

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                    Sacred Heart won’t be a cakewalk. They’re chippy and I watched them tonight try to get under the skin of the cadets. West Point though stayed disciplined and their skill players got the job done against the Pioneers. The Tigers better come to play at the drop of the puck to avoid a repeat of last year. On another note I’m getting tired of seeing other teams celebrate on the GPC ice. Maybe just me but I don’t recall if the Ritter was ever such a welcoming environment for the Tiger opponents. Opposing teams seem to get up for playing at the GPC while they dreaded playing at the Ritter. No chance that we could change venues for next weekend?
                    Our last year at the Ritter wasn't much different. They were 6-8-2 on campus in the Ritter's final year. They were 7-7-2 (which includes a 1st round home sweep of a truly awful AIC team in the playoffs) the year before. Niagara came into our conference and started beating us regularly at the Ritter, and everyone else lost their fear. Our home ice dominance fell off a cliff a couple years before the Pollesini opened.

Comment

Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
                      Our last year at the Ritter wasn't much different. They were 6-8-2 on campus in the Ritter's final year. They were 7-7-2 (which includes a 1st round home sweep of a truly awful AIC team in the playoffs) the year before. Niagara came into our conference and started beating us regularly at the Ritter, and everyone else lost their fear. Our home ice dominance fell off a cliff a couple years before the Pollesini opened.
                      That also a team that overall was not very good. But true that RIT has really failed to assert themselves on their home ice. It's truly been baffling and disappointing.

Last night felt like a microcosm of the whole season and reliving the same nightmare or bad script. Was furious when we come out and take two slashing penalties. Completely fall asleep on the first PK and your lead is gone and then you watch them take the game. This weekend was a perfect example of what the Tigers needed to do to be in first, but they showed what they are in a 6th place team. Maybe that is harsh but it ain't going to get any easier.

Drackett at least provided a spark early with some big saves. But I agree he got faked to the inside post on the second goal. Even it was a rocket shot it doesn't go in if he keeps his angle. I also think he could have played the game winner better. Yes RIT lost there coverage and played the odd man rush terribly. But when a guy comes in with all that speed his options are limited and I don't think Drackett played that so well.

This was the 5 time this year I've seen Mercyhurst. Well 4 and 1/2 in case the radio guys want to get technical . Anyway, it does not take watching them more than once to know they like that stretch pass and are good on odd man rushes. But the Tigers may have snoozed on the film session this week. Definitely snoozed on there defensive coverage.

So maybe they go back to Andriano I really thought his turn ended more on how poorly the team played as opposed to his own play. Or heck they could try Gavin Lewis. I really don't know at this point. All I'll offer is that I hope the coaching staff comes up with a better plan to manage the goaltenders next year. This year it just has not worked and it's hard for any goaltender to gain confidence in this situation. Also stronger defensive play would not hurt...
                      Last edited by Tom Naeger; 02-25-2018, 12:29 PM.

Thomas M. Naeger
                      The Mule

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                        I agree that Soft Defensive is a really big problem. But soft goaldtending has been just about the same problem. RIT's team save percentage is a sad .872% and there have been plenty of soft goal. I thought Short was just as soft on Riley's goal as Brubacher was. And that wrap around after Brown's goal was just a killer. The only reason this team has any chance is that they are scoring at a 10.4% shooting advantage and they are out shooting opponents 986 to 884...
                        I'm certainly not going to say soft goaltending is not a serious problem as well. That wraparound you mention is a perfect example.

However, there is a reason they call goaltending the last line of defense. Because there is supposed to be defense before it gets to the goalie. And I have not seen much of that. (Also, consider this, if the team knows their goaltending might be a weak link, wouldn't you think they would emphasize and work harder in the defensive end?)
                        Russell Jaslow
                        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                          I'm certainly not going to say soft goaltending is not a serious problem as well. That wraparound you mention is a perfect example.

However, there is a reason they call goaltending the last line of defense. Because there is supposed to be defense before it gets to the goalie. And I have not seen much of that. (Also, consider this, if the team knows their goaltending might be a weak link, wouldn't you think they would emphasize and work harder in the defensive end?)
                          I think both goaltending and the defensemen play have been a big problem. I also think that horrible give aways by some forwards have also been up there.

On which is the biggest problem? I don't know and I don't really care. What I do know is it all needs to be better...

I think I pulled an inner Wilson on you after pulling a little Binda on Ed the other night. Biggar or Lerch needs to slap me next weekend before I pull something else next week

Thomas M. Naeger
                          The Mule

Comment

I was surprised in the postgame interview to hear Coach Wilson seem basically okay with the team's results this weekend. He just seemed to say "Eh, they're the top team in the league, and we played mostly okay." But I don't recall ever hearing a concession of a home weekend before, at least not to a conference opponent. It was kind of frustrating to hear. It seems like the coach doesn't have any answers and is just hoping the team plays better.

Powers &8^]

Comment

• Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                              I was surprised in the postgame interview to hear Coach Wilson seem basically okay with the team's results this weekend. He just seemed to say "Eh, they're the top team in the league, and we played mostly okay." But I don't recall ever hearing a concession of a home weekend before, at least not to a conference opponent. It was kind of frustrating to hear. It seems like the coach doesn't have any answers and is just hoping the team plays better.

Powers &8^]
                              It’s things like this that make me wonder just how long ago he lost the room

Comment

Yes RIT lost there coverage and played the odd man rush terribly. But when a guy comes in with all that speed his options are limited and I don't think Drackett played that so well.
                                That seems to be a bit of a trend for our defense in the last half of this season. I don't even play the game and I know that when you're defending a 2-on-1, your only job is to deny the pass, whatever it takes. RIT's defense seems to repeatedly watch the pass go right through their feet leaving the opposing forward all alone with a gaping net to shoot at.
                                Drackett (or any other goalie) is in no way responsible for those goals. He needs to focus on the puck carrier and rely on his defenseman to stop the pass. That's all that he can do. There is no way he can leave his position to cheat over to the other player's angle.

Or heck they could try Gavin Lewis.
                                I really hope that was a joke.
                                Can't we all just get along?
                                Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Working...
                                X