PDA

View Full Version : UMass Lowell 17/18 Season Thread: 21 Year Old Freshman Eating BU's Lunch

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

ScottK
10-08-2017, 11:38 PM
Nice try. Tying the eventual national runner-up is miles away from being swept by a team expected to finish in the bottom three of the league and only finishing +3 in shots in aggregate.

All I did was cite a stat and what those two seasons had in common. My point was more that this coaching staff finds a way to overcome slow starts.

BTW, preseason "expectations" don't mean squat. BC was picked to finish 6th last year and ended up tied for 1st. Northeastern was picked to finish 2nd and finished 8th. Heck, in Norm's first season Lowell was picked to finished 9th and finished 2nd. But please, keep on letting us know how teams are "expected" to finish based on meaningless preseason polls, because we all know how accurate they are.

leswp1
10-09-2017, 06:10 AM
We should have auto posts in this thread every year at the same time.

X [May be more than one]- we suck. All is doomed
y [may be more than one]- no. this has happened before.
X- no. we really suck. This isn't like those seasons
y- they said that about season [chose one] and it turned out
X- no. this is different.

Then we can hit about January and all of a sudden - well, I guess they might be OK

Then end of Feb, beginning of March- Dam n we are really good!! Yay we win.

There may be a few threads to make it all play out.

I may have missed a few options but this is pretty much it~ except now we get some trolls in here once in awhile too

UMLFan
10-09-2017, 08:25 AM

X [May be more than one]- we suck. All is doomed
y [may be more than one]- no. this has happened before.
X- no. we really suck. This isn't like those seasons
y- they said that about season [chose one] and it turned out
X- no. this is different.

Then we can hit about January and all of a sudden - well, I guess they might be OK

Then end of Feb, beginning of March- Dam n we are really good!! Yay we win.

There may be a few threads to make it all play out.

I may have missed a few options but this is pretty much it~ except now we get some trolls in here once in awhile too
Can't speak for others, but I think the problem is that the program has grown strong enough that the annual expectations are high.

I mentioned it here (I believe) and on Twitter that I thought we were ranked way too high considering the amount of talent we lost. In regards to points lost, I believe it's easily the most in Bazin's era. That takes a while to recover from.

And while I respect the UNH program, getting swept by them just hurts.

brassbonanza
10-09-2017, 09:52 AM
All I did was cite a stat and what those two seasons had in common. My point was more that this coaching staff finds a way to overcome slow starts.

BTW, preseason "expectations" don't mean squat. BC was picked to finish 6th last year and ended up tied for 1st. Northeastern was picked to finish 2nd and finished 8th. Heck, in Norm's first season Lowell was picked to finished 9th and finished 2nd. But please, keep on letting us know how teams are "expected" to finish based on meaningless preseason polls, because we all know how accurate they are.

And my point is drawing any equivalency between two ties with UMD last season and getting swept by UNH this season is laughable. Your first two games last year were anything but a slow start. Getting swept by a bad UNH team is a VERY slow start. Sure, preseason expectations are often wrong but last season's results from the same squad, plus an underwhelming at best recruiting class are a good indicator that UNH is not a very good team.

Darius
10-09-2017, 10:11 AM
And my point is drawing any equivalency between two ties with UMD last season and getting swept by UNH this season is laughable. Your first two games last year were anything but a slow start. Getting swept by a bad UNH team is a VERY slow start. Sure, preseason expectations are often wrong but last season's results from the same squad, plus an underwhelming at best recruiting class are a good indicator that UNH is not a very good team.We are on the way to a 6 - 0 start. Check our thread.

HockeyRef
10-09-2017, 10:41 AM
And my point is drawing any equivalency between two ties with UMD last season and getting swept by UNH this season is laughable. Your first two games last year were anything but a slow start. Getting swept by a bad UNH team is a VERY slow start. Sure, preseason expectations are often wrong but last season's results from the same squad, plus an underwhelming at best recruiting class are a good indicator that UNH is not a very good team.

.....Bad enough to win 2 over you guys. 😉 Hey how do you think we felt over the past few years losing 8-0 8-2 and whatever else? Who knows how the rest of the season will go for the 'Cats but the addition of a couple of decent defensemen and more emphasis on not giving up the neutral zone might be indications UNH could be better than expected. We got offense from guys who stepped up. Frankly I predicted a Lowell sweep; no doubt you guys will rebound.

You know you'll reach the Garden and beyond heck we just want to do better than last season whatever that means. Carry on and see you sooner than later!

UML Puck Hawk
10-09-2017, 10:53 AM

To add a few more:

X: I hate WCRAP, why can't we put Bob on WUML
Y: Man the post-game/pregame youtube videos the school puts out are putrid

Middle Street
10-09-2017, 11:09 AM
.....Bad enough to win 2 over you guys. 😉 Hey how do you think we felt over the past few years losing 8-0 8-2 and whatever else? Who knows how the rest of the season will go for the 'Cats but the addition of a couple of decent defensemen and more emphasis on not giving up the neutral zone might be indications UNH could be better than expected. We got offense from guys who stepped up. Frankly I predicted a Lowell sweep; no doubt you guys will rebound.

You know you'll reach the Garden and beyond heck we just want to do better than last season whatever that means. Carry on and see you sooner than later!

Brassbonanza is a BU fan...

Darius
10-09-2017, 11:27 AM
Brassbonanza is a BU fan...We plan on beating BU twice as well.:p

brassbonanza
10-09-2017, 11:31 AM

There aren't many Comm Ave's in Durham last I checked, so it'd be odd that my Location tag was "back to" a street in Durham that doesn't exist.

HockeyRef
10-09-2017, 03:46 PM
Brassbonanza is a BU fan...

Thanks...my correction.

mookie1995
10-11-2017, 10:24 AM
Munch munch, hows that lunch :p

boblav1
10-11-2017, 04:39 PM
River Hawks name captains for 2017-18 season. (http://www.goriverhawks.com/news/2017/10/11/mens-ice-hockey-river-hawks-name-captains-for-2017-18-season.aspx)

tape
10-12-2017, 09:42 AM
We are on the way to a 6 - 0 start. Check our thread.

And even if UNH does start 6-0, Umile's still not getting to 600 this season.

riverchief1
10-12-2017, 11:02 AM
Munch munch, hows that lunch :p

Unfortunately it might not include nachos this season as the best stand at Tsongas the past couple of seasons, the nacho cart, was nowhere to be found last weekend.

mookie1995
10-12-2017, 12:32 PM
Unfortunately it might not include nachos this season as the best stand at Tsongas the past couple of seasons, the nacho cart, was nowhere to be found last weekend.

no doubt since they heard mookie is away :(

but seriously that is awful. that cart was the bomb.

Scarlet
10-12-2017, 12:37 PM
no doubt since they heard mookie is away :(

but seriously that is awful. that cart was the bomb.

Personally, the fried dough cart is what makes it the bomb.

tape
10-12-2017, 04:50 PM

Plus, the Actually Really Good Burger stand (whatever they called it, Rowdy's Grill or something?) in the back corner was just serving chicken tenders and hot dogs. If the good burgers and chicken sandwiches from back there are gone permanently I'm gonna be real sad.

UMLFan
10-13-2017, 09:32 AM
Whatever happened to the new practice rink they were trying to build? Apparently we're having to have some practices in Tewksbury (http://umlconnector.com/2017/10/river-hawks-enter-2017-18-season-with-new-alternative-practice-facility-in-tewksbury/)?

Middle Street
10-13-2017, 10:26 AM
Whatever happened to the new practice rink they were trying to build? Apparently we're having to have some practices in Tewksbury (http://umlconnector.com/2017/10/river-hawks-enter-2017-18-season-with-new-alternative-practice-facility-in-tewksbury/)?

It's not happening anytime soon, if ever.

See pages 74 & 88 in the following document:
https://www.umassp.edu/sites/umassp.edu/files/content/publications/budget-office/FY17-21%20Capital%20Plan%20Document.pdf

"The state is a critical partner in the success of our capital plan and by extension the realization
of our strategic goal to achieve national and international recognition as a world-class institution
over the next decade. Unfortunately, the state has implemented a near freeze in all capital
spending until a comprehensive strategic plan is developed. The campus has therefore
adjusted its financial and capital plans to remove the state funds previously committed.
The state has only committed capital funds for the new Pulichino/Tong School of Business
building ($28.2M) and the Accelerated Energy Program ($5M). An additional $700,000 in state
deferred maintenance funds were allocated to the North Quad PODS project.
This state funding is significantly less than what had been committed in previous state capital
plans which included $36M for Perry Hall and $40M for Olsen Hall as part of the Science &
Engineering renewal and renovation program for Engineering, $19M for the Coburn Hall
Renewal and Addition project and $30M for the Tsongas Center Extension. "

Note- That document is a little old at this point, but I couldn't find anything to suggest the priority has changed.