No announcement yet.

UMass Lowell 17/18 Season Thread: 21 Year Old Freshman Eating BU's Lunch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMass Lowell 17/18 Season Thread: 21 Year Old Freshman Eating BU's Lunch

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
    I will take a guess. A 'few' yrs ago when NU traveled really well the Dog Pound came into our arena and acted like complete idiots. Purposely obnoxious not to students but to families with kids in my section which was across the arena from the student section. Foul language, taunting, standing so the little kids couldn't see- telling the people who couldn't see (season ticket holders) they should move. There was a big to do. There were some folks on the Board who were really nice people but the 'Pound' that came visiting were an embarrassment. Not cool.
    I'd love to know when you allege this happened, because I was with the DogHouse every year from 2012-16 as a student and I don't recall a single incident of this nature. Or at all for that matter, other than a specific year where certain children weren't being watched by their parents and decided that that it was more fun to hit opposing fans with thundersticks than watch the game, after which your security reminded the parties involves that there are in fact consequences for their actions.

I take it from my lack of memory of it (or of ever standing anywhere besides the last row of the arena) and your quote of 'few' that it was likely before my time and thus not particularly relevant to the present day, just curious. While the kids there today are still obnoxious, they generally tuck themselves in some corner and out of the way to do their thing (which isn't that hard considering the attendance issues everywhere these days) and aren't really comparable to the ones of Cronin and before.
    Last edited by TheRevengeance; 11-01-2017, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
      I'd love to know when you allege this happened, because I was with the DogHouse every year from 2012-16 as a student and I don't recall a single incident of this nature. Or at all for that matter, other than a specific year where certain children weren't being watched by their parents and decided that that it was more fun to hit opposing fans with thundersticks than watch the game, after which your security reminded the parties involves that there are in fact consequences for their actions.

I take it from my lack of memory of it (or of ever standing anywhere besides the last row of the arena) and your quote of 'few' that it was likely before my time and thus not particularly relevant to the present day, just curious. While the kids there today are still obnoxious, they generally tuck themselves in some corner and out of the way to do their thing (which isn't that hard considering the attendance issues everywhere these days) and aren't really comparable to the ones of Cronin and before.
      2001-2002.

It was fun in our place... getting those students kicked for their “soda” was fun. Then there was the “co-op” applications

There was also an incident at northeastern that led to an altercation (which included an assault on an off duty police officer) and an expulsion
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
        2001-2002.

It was fun in our place... getting those students kicked for their “soda” was fun. Then there was the “co-op” applications

There was also an incident at northeastern that led to an altercation (which included an assault on an off duty police officer) and an expulsion
        Yes, the good old days, lol. I remember how we tipped off UML officers and Tsongas ushers about the possibility of concealed alcohol and lo and behold, immediately upon the game starting, a handful of NU students were kicked out after being inspected for contraband. The funny thing was they had to wait until the game was over for their friends who weren't kicked out to drive them back to Boston.

The three-game playoff series was great back then too as each successive night at Tsongas, the Dog House fans and Lowell fans upped the ante. Chuck a Puck one night had them flying into the NU fan section instead of the ice as we tried to pick off NU fans (thus no Chuck a Puck the next night). Chants directed at Lowell fans were met with chants back. The best was taping the McDonalds applications to all the seats in the NU section pre-game and writing "NU Co-op Application" on each of them.

The altercation at NU was just plain bad, picked on the wrong person and it cost him big time.

Bloody Lip game was also between Lowell-NU as a longtime fan who was much younger back then had a horn shoved back into his lip as he was blowing it by a NU fan.

An oldie but goodie was back in the mid-1980s in a deciding HE playoff game at Matthews, we're calling NU goalie Bruce Racine a sieve over and over again during warm ups and he proceeds to fire pucks up at us in the seats. Lowell ends up winning game to move on and eliminate NU and we wave at NU's Rod Isbister out the student bus window as we drive by, offering him some tickets to the next game. He wasn't appreciative of that.
        Last edited by riverchief1; 11-01-2017, 07:33 PM.
        Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
        Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
        Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

• Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
          An oldie but goodie was back in the mid-1980s in a deciding HE playoff game at Matthews, we're calling NU goalie Bruce Racine a sieve over and over again during warm ups and he proceeds to fire pucks up at us in the seats. Lowell ends up winning game to move on and eliminate NU and we wave at NU's Rod Isbister out the student bus window as we drive by, offering him some tickets to the next game. He wasn't appreciative of that.
          ha, ha.. that is a good one.
          GO NU HOCKEY
          Always bullish on the future.
          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post

Section X (when they were letters, not numbers). Also not where their tickets were. My kid was in elementary school so probably when you were not there yet- in early 2000s. We needed to leave our seats because things got so nasty I didn't feel comfortable with him there. Things were escalating to point of people being in each other's faces with a few physical altercations. Our security folk were embarrassing and did nothing. It made a lot of people really mad- not just students but 'old' folk and families that had to deal with it.

riverchief1 lists all the other back and forth stuff over the yrs. Some of it was funny on both sides. The bloody lip, the nastiness above and the brawl after things being thrown at players was not. Personally I thought those were aberrations. For the most part the NU students were hysterical to watch- clever, quirky and coordinated. They are a bit more boring now.

Comment

For the most part the NU students were hysterical to watch- clever, quirky and coordinated. They are a bit more boring now.
              You can say the same thing about our student section between 2002 and now, to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by tape View Post
                You can say the same thing about our student section between 2002 and now, to be honest.
                Most of them. Less creativity, more 'you suck'. Booooorrrrring

Comment

Most of them. Less creativity, more 'you suck'. Booooorrrrring
                  You would think with the proliferation of social media in these kids lives they could coordinate something better than giving Fred C Church free advertising.
                  Tully Rink Rat
                  Dick Umile Told Me To Go Fudge Myself Club
                  Youngstar
                  UML Class of 09

Comment

Weekend preview.
                    http://www.goriverhawks.com/news/201...s-weekend.aspx

Who get's the start in goal tomorrow night?

Comment

I have a few free ticket vouchers for tonight's game. Email me at fishy4u@hotmail.com

Comment

Well they got the win. A very good third period after some pretty ugly moments in the first two. Hopefully the Hawks can keep it going tomorrow afternoon.

Game highlights and post game interview.

http://www.goriverhawks.com/news/201...st-action.aspx

Comment

FEED FORNEY!!!!!!!!! Seriously i'm glad to see one of the D men finally emerge on both ends of the ice. Take that C off Tyler's chest his play is not worthy of the honor. Has no shot from the point and his quarterbacking from the point is non-existent.

As much as I have poo poo'd Avni's play this year he looked great last night and that hook call on the breakaway was ridiculous that was good stick work by him. Walked by Croix on the concourse he didn't look to pleased to be Section 114'd

I'm getting worried about Kenny he is putting himself in too many spots to get injured. Took a couple of good solid hits last night.

Gravallese is the reason why refs need to be a certain height. The man looks like Danny Devito on skates.

He couldn't see a Maine kid hold a leg in a rugby scrum in the corner. IT WAS 10 FT AWAY FROM HIM

LETS KEEP IT GOING TODAY
                          Tully Rink Rat
                          Dick Umile Told Me To Go Fudge Myself Club
                          Youngstar
                          UML Class of 09

Comment

Blech. Blech. Blech. And I think this extends the streak of losing when ever there is a post game skate with the fans. Have we ever won?

and mea culpa for saying Beerworks isn't that bad. You guys were right in a big way. It is awful. Serious bummer because mr les and I never get to go out so having it stink when we haven't been able to go out for a few months made it stink more. No menu to speak of and what there is is awful. Did I mention awful? mr les hates cheese and that left 2 options on the whole menu. Food was not impressive and the place was a morgue at 8:15 when we left. There were a total of 18 people in there. 18. On a Saturday night after a game. Most of them were from the Field Hockey Tournament, not even local. As we were leaving 2 more of those 18 were leaving too. Not going back. I can't imagine the logic of taking something successful and so completely screwing it up.

Comment

Congrats to the Black Bears on the win today.

I think the Hawks sunk to a new low today. What a pitiful performance. Another game filled with terrible turn overs, passing, missed open nets and just lack luster play. When will the team stop trying to force passes through players and sticks? They always seem to attempt the low percentage play/pass. One solid period of hockey all weekend. It will be interesting to see if Norm and the team can turn this around.

http://www.goriverhawks.com/news/201...es-finale.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                                Congrats to the Black Bears on the win today.

I think the Hawks sunk to a new low today. What a pitiful performance. Another game filled with terrible turn overs, passing, missed open nets and just lack luster play. When will the team stop trying to force passes through players and sticks? They always seem to attempt the low percentage play/pass. One solid period of hockey all weekend. It will be interesting to see if Norm and the team can turn this around.

http://www.goriverhawks.com/news/201...es-finale.aspx
                                Highlights? Maybe if we had a few beers (not at the previously go to watering hole ) Even when they seemed to be playing hard they had NO puck luck what so ever. Hard to watch.

Comment

Working...
                                X