No announcement yet.

UMass Lowell 17/18 Season Thread: 21 Year Old Freshman Eating BU's Lunch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMass Lowell 17/18 Season Thread: 21 Year Old Freshman Eating BU's Lunch

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
    Apparently the refs were really as bad as the radio was saying. Don't hear that often. Usually I hear the radio was making something outta nothing. Wasn't watching but from listening we couldn't buy a break no matter what. back to the disaster commentary
    Well Norm went after Benedetto after the game. That's the first time I've seen him do that. I give the team a lot of credit. They battled all night long and the PK was great. I believe they had to kill off four 5 on 3's for over a minute. I thought some of the calls were legit but there were a few that were marginal at best.

Any word on when Folin and Panico will be back?

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
      Well Norm went after Benedetto after the game. That's the first time I've seen him do that. I give the team a lot of credit. They battled all night long and the PK was great. I believe they had to kill off four 5 on 3's for over a minute. I thought some of the calls were legit but there were a few that were marginal at best.
      There were a couple of times he jumped to the front of the bench and was screaming at the refs using some language not suitable for broadcast. I've never seen him that animated during a game.
      Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
      "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Game recap and highlights. I wish Lowell's video quality was as good.
        http://www.goriverhawks.com/news/201...stern-5-4.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
          Not so much bad as it was inconsistent. From what I could see on the NU stream, they had pretty much called a "black and white" game until the third period when all of a sudden they seemed to start with the marginal "ticky-tack" calls.
          Originally posted by ScottK View Post
          There were a couple of times he jumped to the front of the bench and was screaming at the refs using some language not suitable for broadcast. I've never seen him that animated during a game.
          Un-named sources ( ) thought the the game called was horrible- "one of the worst games ever". Considering the usual non-reactivity of the person commenting, that is saying something. The missed call for holding for the 1st goal. Four 5X3 in one game. No one had seen that before at this level. Apparently Norm wasn't the only one thinking the refs struggled. The NU coach was going batsh1t too.

Comment

I thought last years Providence game was poorly officiated by this one took the cake

Hockey East might as well go back to a 3 man system and save some cash.

As lethal as Northeastern's power play can be its a testament to our PK to keep us in the game score could have easily been 7-5.

We answered the bell a few times but it still looks like our team speed just hasn't been where it has been on past Bazin teams. Edwards not stuffing that gimmie goal with 6 mins left was heartbreaking since he had a pretty solid game otherwise.

Nice to see Sodergren get on the scoring sheet this weekend.

Not to big on Burchett on right now unless Winkler is hurt I think he should be seeing time he doesn't mind throwing his body around our forecheck hasn't been great this year.

I know Lowell is shorthanded on the back end right now with Folin and Panico down. Even with the goal last night Avni shouldn't see much more ice time outside of injury. His game is too timid and he panics with the puck in the neutral zone and when bringing it out. Paring him with Croix on Friday night was a mistake and was glad to see Norm change it up last night.

I think we should stick still with Hernberg. Wall had nice some saves last night but the Stevens goal was poor goaltending way out of position and letting him skate through your crease unimpeded was poor discipline.
            Tully Rink Rat
            Dick Umile Told Me To Go Fudge Myself Club
            Youngstar
            UML Class of 09

Comment

I didn't get a chance to watch the game last night (but plan to watch on demand via the stream service), but it seems impossible for Lowell and NU to not have an excellent, tight game against each other. Definitely expect your boys to shape up and be contenders in conference by season's end. That Kenny Hausinger kid is legit, he's the next guy I peg to be in the Gambardella-ilk where he is a great player for Lowell for all 4 years, and a pain to play against.

See y'all in a couple of weeks!
              "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                Un-named sources ( ) thought the the game called was horrible- "one of the worst games ever". Considering the usual non-reactivity of the person commenting, that is saying something. The missed call for holding for the 1st goal. Four 5X3 in one game. No one had seen that before at this level. Apparently Norm wasn't the only one thinking the refs struggled. The NU coach was going batsh1t too.
                In Madigan's post gm conference.. he mentioned something about a memo being sent out earlier last wk.. (sure you can find the video on youtube under the Go NU Athletics videos).. anyway he mentioned something about the directive being.. refs were going to be looking for/ call the holding/ slashing calls and that it is what it is & kids need to play with that in mind.. his team as well.

didnt matter, we went 0 for 4 on the 5x3s .. but i'm wondering if Bazin was aware of the supervisor memo.. that refs were going to be looking at the grab/ slash things like that. Its right there in Madigan's post gm comments from the horse's mouth.
                GO NU HOCKEY
                Always bullish on the future.
                We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

found the link..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQZYZohQmqY
                  GO NU HOCKEY
                  We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                    In Madigan's post gm conference.. he mentioned something about a memo being sent out earlier last wk.. (sure you can find the video on youtube under the Go NU Athletics videos).. anyway he mentioned something about the directive being.. refs were going to be looking for/ call the holding/ slashing calls and that it is what it is & kids need to play with that in mind.. his team as well.

didnt matter, we went 0 for 4 on the 5x3s .. but i'm wondering if Bazin was aware of the supervisor memo.. that refs were going to be looking at the grab/ slash things like that. Its right there in Madigan's post gm comments from the horse's mouth.
                    I wasn't there or watching. I know about 'point of emphasis'. Sounds like the refs struggled with remembering it consistently. From what I hear (from folks who rarely, if ever, say refs messed up- even when others are rabid) inconsistency was a problem and overall the game was poorly called. Some of the penalties were legit but others were questionable and bigger were non-calls for the home team.

That said- if we put the biscuit in the basket enough that would have made no difference. Hard to do that when you are down 4 dif times by 2 men. Not dissing NU. They won. Period. I was just surprised at the commentary from people who rarely make say anything on that type of stuff.

Comment

In Madigan's post gm conference.. he mentioned something about a memo being sent out earlier last wk...
                      I always cringe when I hear about memos coming down from on high directing referees to do this or call that. The Points of Emphasis are right in the front of the NCAA Rule Book, are self-explanatory, and apply across all leagues. Whatever you may think about any given individual, refs at this level know what they're doing and don't need extra pressure from the league office directing them to fix things that aren't broken.
                      Last edited by Split-N; 10-29-2017, 02:04 PM.
                      "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

In Madigan's post gm conference.. he mentioned something about a memo being sent out earlier last wk.. (sure you can find the video on youtube under the Go NU Athletics videos).. anyway he mentioned something about the directive being.. refs were going to be looking for/ call the holding/ slashing calls and that it is what it is & kids need to play with that in mind.. his team as well..
                        So eight games into the season the league wants the refs to crack down. Why wasn't this an emphasis from day one of the season? Why wasn't Friday's game called the same way? At this point who knows how the games will be called next weekend.

didn't matter, we went 0 for 4 on the 5x3s .. but i'm wondering if Bazin was aware of the supervisor memo.. that refs were going to be looking at the grab/ slash things like that. Its right there in Madigan's post gm comments from the horse's mouth.
                        didn't matter? So having to kill off all those penalties didn't have an impact on the Lowell team? They must have been gassed by the third period. I give the Hawks a lot of credit for hanging in there. As I mentioned earlier many of the calls were legit but there were several that were pretty marginal.

A nice weekend for the Huskies and another tough one for the Hawks.

Comment

• ? As I mentioned earlier many of the calls were legit but there were several that were pretty marginal.
                          [/QUOTE]
                          No offense intended, but isn’t this the case in every game? We just happen to know the reason for some last night’s marginal calls.

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
                            No offense intended, but isn’t this the case in every game? We just happen to know the reason for some last night’s marginal calls.
                            One team had 4 power plays, the other had 4 5-on-3s. Please tell me how many games you've seen that before. If your answer is anything other than zero, then you are lying.
                            Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                            "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

• Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                              One team had 4 power plays, the other had 4 5-on-3s. Please tell me how many games you've seen that before. If your answer is anything other than zero, then you are lying.
                              Lowell's 5x3 kill was very impressive all night.. as i & fellow NU fans noted last night. I'm beginning to wonder if Norm got or read the directive..

oh.. & pls dont shoot the messenger.
                              GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
                                No offense taken. Yes there are marginal calls made in every game. I just felt Lowell got the short end of the stick on those (marginal) calls last night. Surely NU could have been called for some of the same things. We didn't see these ticky-tacky calls on Friday night. I guess Holton and Murphy didn't get the memo.

Comment

Working...
                                X